Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Not sure if we have a thread already for this but couldn't find one.

Donncha O'Connor called it quits over the weekend aged 37, couldn't believe it last year when Cork played Mayo when they said he was 36 whilst giving Cafferkey the run around. He didn't play minor or u21 and didn't make his debut until he 25 and would always have thought he was a bit underrated.

TheClubman

A very good player. When Cork looked to be handing that final to Down he stepped up (along with Goulding) and did the business. Always showed for the ball and worked hard. Kind of guy you'd love to play with.

Blowitupref

Very talented footballer must have been very frustrating for him to play on so many disorganized and poorly managed Cork teams.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jayop

Hope he enjoys his retirement and deserves any praise he's been getting and probably a little more. Sad way for a great player to go out a bit like Sean for us last year with a hammering but he'll soon forget about that and remember the All Ireland and the other great days.

Farrandeelin

Barry Moran gone too. Working abroad next year I believe.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2018, 09:46:14 AM

Could be the first of a few, that interview with Andy Moran sounded like he's very unsure of the future.

GalwayBayBoy

Cork's Colm O'Neill has called it a day. Unsurprising given all his injury woes. 3 cruciates.

trileacman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 17, 2018, 05:20:44 PM
Cork's Colm O'Neill has called it a day. Unsurprising given all his injury woes. 3 cruciates.
He was an amazing player but Christ he wasn't lucky.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 17, 2018, 01:56:40 PM

Could be the first of a few, that interview with Andy Moran sounded like he's very unsure of the future.
Barry Moran wasn't getting much of look in this year i'd say he took the job overseas with that in mind also. Will be a big surprise if Andy Moran doesn't play for Mayo in 2019
Great footballer that had cruel luck with injuries.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

I don't think anyone retiring at the age Andy Moran is would be a 'big surprise'. Looked old this year.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2018, 06:34:55 PM
I don’t think anyone retiring at the age Andy Moran is would be a ‘big surprise’. Looked old this year.
Retiring after regularly starting games this year would be a big surprise it would be less of a surprise if he was seen as bit part player. Did you expect 34 year old to look young? he's still quicker in the mind than most if not all of the Mayo forwards.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I thought when the mark came in it would extend Barry Moran's career a few years. They never really got to utilise him the last couple of years.

J70

Brilliant player. One of the scoring forwards I've seen. Either foot, any angle, could win ball.

regal

O'Connor was a quality footballer who I think got the best out of himself.

O'Neill was just pure quality

Best of luck to both in retirement

macdanger2

Best of luck to big Barry, quality midfielder who had a bad run of injuries. Still, an U21 title, 7 Connachts and a decent number of County titles isn't too shabby even if he missed out on the big one