Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

So I remember seeing something on recruitment back in April 19.. So if I get that right that's about 10 months that the staff were fully implemented. Then furlough.

What's the plan? I haven't seen it. What does it consist of? Be interested in seeing the route you'd take

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Ok here we go
target 10 Belfast pRimary schools who have little or no GAA
gets the coaches in to them and coach kids and teachers
link each of them up with a club
maKe all this public so clubs can row in behind
once primary teachers trained up a bit move half the coaches to 5 secondary schools with little or no GAA

I dnot have access to all the reports and Stats but that's the bones of it

Tear it To pieces boy and girls

delgany

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 07, 2021, 04:48:34 PM
Ok here we go
target 10 Belfast pRimary schools who have little or no GAA
gets the coaches in to them and coach kids and teachers
link each of them up with a club
maKe all this public so clubs can row in behind
once primary teachers trained up a bit move half the coaches to 5 secondary schools with little or no GAA

I dnot have access to all the reports and Stats but that's the bones of it

Tear it To pieces boy and girls

Clubs attached to local schools was established in Ciara Ferry's time as Games Dev Manager. A few issues arose- some clubs were unable to provide support on the ground to the school.

Some primary schools were located close to smaller club units, who were unable to manage ...bigger clubs came along and edged them out .

delgany

Start of league competitions pushed back due to cuurent Covid situation,  dates will be kept under review, with as much notice as possible to be given to start dates. No real surprise

Kickham csc

Been struck down with Covid the past number of weeks, so playing catch up

Colleges football -
When we discuss Colleges football, the focus should not be on the MacRory or McLarnon cup per se, it's the GAA culture within the schools that is important. I went to St Pats Maghera. During the first three years, PE classes were non apologetically GAA based with a little bit of other sports thrown in. But in 4th year PE was now totally focused on other sports, fitness elements.

In first year we had the 1st year championship, all classes represented.  This was a big deal. Each class picked their own team. We had a group stage and then semi finals and final. During the semis and final the whole of 1st and 2nd year watched, close to 500. This was held at the end of the year just before the St Mary's 1st year blitz and helped the teachers pick the squad. The atmosphere during the finals was electric and it helped establish the school spirit, and to be honest, St Pats became my second club because of it.

The real value of this process was that close to 100 boys were coached all year long on the "St Pats Way", and this went on for close to 3 years. The 100 boys fed back into around 15-20 clubs in the SW Antrim, S Derry area. That raised playing standards in the county and was a major contributing factor in regards to the standard of minor football in Derry at that time.

From a schools point of view, Big A was the main man for  MacRory, but there was a team of coaches who were involved at the various grades and who all helped Big A in Mac Rory. Also the focus was on competing at younger grades and winning MacRory Cups

This system was repeated for Hurling and camogie.

The focus in Antrim should be on how many schools in Antrim have a true GAA culture. How many schools have a systemic 7 year coaching program within the school to produce good players ( not good enough to wait for a good group every 10 years)

Gaelfast - my understanding was that some in the SW  were unhappy at the Belfast focus on the proposal and that it should have been county wide like Dublin's (granted Dublin is majority city). Feedback from the county executive was that Gaelfast was to be Belfast focused but coaches will also support the regional divisions to help improve standards county wide

Belfast GAA man

Who ever thought theY would miss mckenna cup ?

BigBallWeeBall

Even the McKenna's would not miss the McKenna cup

Belfast GAA man

MR2 have you lost Your whistle? ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 10, 2021, 08:06:07 PM

Sorry was I to respond to something?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2021, 12:19:30 AM

U usuallY comment back on all gaelfast posts but you haven't reCently - didnt have u down as a man who would obey a gagging order from a yes man

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 11, 2021, 07:52:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2021, 12:19:30 AM

U usuallY comment back on all gaelfast posts but you haven't reCently - didnt have u down as a man who would obey a gagging order from a yes man

If he leaves me a question I'll respond. Would be rude if I didn't.

I'm sure all is well in Belfast GAA, now that there will be more openness in Gaelfast

bannside

Yes Man... now thats definitely a first! We definitely are living in strange times lol.

paddyjohn

Pity there wasn't a gagging order for a few other lads.. 👀

whatwillbwillb

Pity mainstream politics wouldn't stay out of local Gaa it doesn't mix, wishing PD every success in his new role at UU.

bannside

Thats an interesting assertion Whatwillb.

Looks like the pandemic has caused chaos with GAA finances. The knock on effect does not look promising. Will there even be a NFL this year? That prospect is diminishing by the day due to counties simply not being able to absorb the expense of inter county competition without the standard €80k annual funding grant from Croke Park.