U21 Hurling Championship

Started by Donnellys Hollow, June 06, 2012, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Fantastic result for Laois against Dublin tonight. Don't think many would have seen that one coming.

Tipp and Cork was a very enjoyable game on TG4. This grade never seems to disappoint.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Congratulations to Laois, should've won by more by all accounts - am out of country so didn't see it.

deiseach

I didn't think it was that good a game last night. I suppose not all U-21 games can be like last year's Munster final. Don't know where Tipperary found that finish from though. Cue much angst in Cork about underage development (boo hoo)

Great win for Laois. Great for all of us if you ask me (unless you're a Dub, obviously)

Milltown Row2

The pitch was heavy from the rain that had fallen for most of the day, plenty of surface water on the sides of the pitch so I wouldn't fault the effort put in by both teams. Cork will be kicking themselves for not being able to take a big enough lead going into the final 15 minutes.

Tipp to their credit held on and managed to point a few to take the lead. Fair effort from them, Hogan was a happy man on the final whistle.

I think Corks main men went missing too much
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Reillers

I haven't seen a team self destruct like that. Dreadful. Should have won, were by far the better team, and literally threw it away. Just another idiotic pathetic day in the underage scene with Cork.
It's always buts and maybe, over the last few years it was always a massive performance against Tipp but just losing out in the last second of extra time or in a replay etc. Last night was ridiculous. They had the game won and simply gave up. Disgraceful. I know that it didn't help that we were lost Sweetman and Drake. It's not the fact that I think we could have won the competition outright, because it just wouldn't have happened, it was the way the game was thrown away that's so infuriating. Just another narrow loss, another almost, when the game was in our hands.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on June 07, 2012, 03:52:28 PM
I haven't seen a team self destruct like that. Dreadful. Should have won, were by far the better team,

Jaysus it's

In your long glorius history on this board Reillers, Cork have never been beaten in a game in any code at any level where you haven't been the better team and should've won.

CitySlicker11

Can this game be viewed anywhere online at the minute?

johnneycool

Quote from: heffo on June 07, 2012, 03:56:47 PM
I haven't seen a team self destruct like that. Dreadful. Should have won, were by far the better team,

Jaysus it's

In your long glorius history on this board Reillers, Cork have never been beaten in a game in any code at any level where you haven't been the better team and should've won.

Ah well, at least it wasn't Frank Murphy's fault.

Reillers

Jaysus it's

Your idiotic post isn't exactly out of the ordinary, but the fact that you didn't see the game, well your post means even less than it normally does.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on June 07, 2012, 04:44:03 PM

Jaysus it's

Your idiotic post isn't exactly out of the ordinary, but the fact that you didn't see the game, well your post means even less than it normally does.

I didn't see it, said that last night. Any comment on my observation??

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on June 07, 2012, 04:59:49 PM

Jaysus it's

How can you feel that you can comment on a game you haven't seen.
Cork were winning, and were ahead with a few to spare, and they simply threw it away in the last 2 minutes of the game.
Cork have been beaten many times by better teams, your comment was idiotic at best. Though against Tipp they were the better team, deserved to win, but yet again, we snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Like I said, it wasn't the fact that I thought we could have won the competition, it was the way in which we lost the game. So many of these U21 games have ended up with Cork losing by 1 point, be it like last night or in added extra time after a replay, but they've never had the mentality to go on and win games they should have won.
Cork did not deserve to win the game the way they gave up in the end, but they were the better team. Tipp were ahead once..in the 60th minute and that is all that counts at the end of the day. So if you want to say, because of their timing, that they did deserve to win the game (without seeing it) than by all means do, but the way in which it happened is infuriating because Cork were in such complete control and yet again, bottled it.

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on June 07, 2012, 04:26:30 PM
Ah well, at least it wasn't Frank Murphy's fault.

The thread is young

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on June 07, 2012, 05:14:20 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 07, 2012, 04:59:49 PM

Jaysus it's

How can you feel that you can comment on a game you haven't seen.
Cork were winning, and were ahead with a few to spare, and they simply threw it away in the last 2 minutes of the game.
Cork have been beaten many times by better teams, your comment was idiotic at best. Though against Tipp they were the better team, deserved to win, but yet again, we snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Like I said, it wasn't the fact that I thought we could have won the competition, it was the way in which we lost the game. So many of these U21 games have ended up with Cork losing by 1 point, be it like last night or in added extra time after a replay, but they've never had the mentality to go on and win games they should have won.
Cork did not deserve to win the game the way they gave up in the end, but they were the better team. Tipp were ahead once..in the 60th minute and that is all that counts at the end of the day. So if you want to say, because of their timing, that they did deserve to win the game (without seeing it) than by all means do, but the way in which it happened is infuriating because Cork were in such complete control and yet again, bottled it.

I didn't comment on the game whatsoever.

I commented on your inability to be gracious in the slightest whenever a Cork team loses.

Massive difference.

orangeman

Cork bottled it yet again ?

Not normally a Cork characteristic. Is this just a recent thing ?.

orangeman

Reillers is quarter right -

A LATE scoring surge from Tipperary earned them a place in the semi-finals at Pairc Ui Chaoimh last night.

Trailing by four points after David Drake put Cork 0-16 to 0-12 ahead in the 52nd minute, Tipp just managed to reel in their hosts.

Amazingly, Sean Curran's winner was the first time in the game that Ken Hogan's side had led, Cork suffering from a poor second half when they were limited to two points from play.

Cork had been the better side for much of the first half, though they never led by more than three points.

Conor Lehane's 10th-minute effort put Cork ahead by 0-4 to 0-1, Then, though Tipp captain John O'Dwyer, who finished with nine points, cut the gap with a free, Drake responded immediately.

In the last 10 minutes of the half, Tipp upped their game, Brian Stapleton cutting the gap to 0-9 to 0-8 on 28 minutes. However, late points from Eoin O'Sullivan and Coughlan gave Cork a three-point interval lead.

The relocation of Stapleton to centre-back, with Niall O'Meara going to midfield, helped to stabilise Tipp in the second half and his long-range effort on 48 minutes made it 0-14 to 0-11.

When Drake scored his third point, following nice play from O'Sullivan, the Rebels were 0-16 to 0-12 ahead, but they would score just once more.

Two from O'Dwyer and a fine Curran point brought Tipp to within one point and though Jamie Coughlan edged Cork clear, the momentum was now going Tipp's way.

Curran profited from sub Aidan McCormack's pass to ensure that there would be no need for extra- time as he won it.

Tipp play Limerick in the semi-finals on July 18.