Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on September 29, 2018, 12:24:33 AM
Mountmellick I think will win this one . Should still be a senior side in my opinion .
Shoulda coulda me bollix

Blow-in

Well done to Courtwood. Fine wam as will beat 6/7 of the current teams in my opinion. However, they should have been down to 14 men after 10 minutes but well deserving win.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on September 30, 2018, 12:00:39 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 29, 2018, 09:29:53 PM
Delighted for Courtwood, and delighted for the integrity of the IFC.
Mountmellick are reaping what they sowed.

They have essentially become sellswords, to use a certain lingo!

The integrity of the IFC ? a bit of a reach here, nice to see Courtwood win the IFC but Mountmellick have done nothing wrong.  They of course need to work on their juvenile setup.  I was not at the game but sounds like Courtwood have a decent team.

Not a reach at all. Not a Courtwood man, and not an Eddie Kinsella cheerleader, but there is no place for Gaels teams , in grades below Senior. We are a small county, geographically & numerically. A Gaels team like this serves no greater purpose. In larger counties they do.

As regards Mountmellicks underage structure. To suggest that this might be the prod to "work on their juvenile structure" is a joke. They have become a laughing stock for the last 10-15 years. As I said, sellswords. And for what? A barely acknowledged part in a MHC win , and what else in football- fill me in....

You reap what you sow. They have a huge primary school base and their only competition is soccer (played almost exclusively in the off season).

I've been consistent on this, on here and on Laois Talk.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Jd

Perhaps last night might be a kick in the hole that MM need . They were banking on an instant return to senior and now they are still down they might be forced to take stock and plan a better way forward. I know Courtwood and Emo are amalgamated as st Paul's but that's always been the way and they are two very distinct adult clubs. They seem to be reaping the rewards of the hard work being done there now

Downtheroad

Quote from: Jd on September 30, 2018, 04:21:09 PM
Perhaps last night might be a kick in the hole that MM need . They were banking on an instant return to senior and now they are still down they might be forced to take stock and plan a better way forward. I know Courtwood and Emo are amalgamated as st Paul's but that's always been the way and they are two very distinct adult clubs. They seem to be reaping the rewards of the hard work being done there now
The better way forward might me joining up with other 2 clubs in the parish and have a proper underage amalgamation.  Kilcavan have one decent crop coming through but apart from that underage  football in the parish is at very low ebb. At under 13 this year, a parish team would have challenged Kileshin/Crettyard  for A title but the clubs had their own teams with Kilcavan in "A" (great achievement)   Mountmellick in the "B" and the Rock in the "C" .  However, I imagine the clubs will  tip along doing their own thing.

Jd

It would be an ideal situation but will never happen. The Rock won't risk losing players to MM as there is no real division of areas this was seen as recently as last year when they sent players to St Paul's rather than risk losing them to MM. Kilcavan might be more open as their area would have boundaries. Emo and Courtwood are very distinct and there has never been a "poaching" problem. MM should have enough youngsters to stand alone.  there must be a huge school in there. Perhaps the Rock and Kilcavan could then work something out between them. A regular crop of three or four players each year would work miracles for all three clubs but they will have to take a long term view of things

Downtheroad

Quote from: Jd on September 30, 2018, 08:23:51 PM
It would be an ideal situation but will never happen. The Rock won't risk losing players to MM as there is no real division of areas this was seen as recently as last year when they sent players to St Paul's rather than risk losing them to MM. Kilcavan might be more open as their area would have boundaries. Emo and Courtwood are very distinct and there has never been a "poaching" problem. MM should have enough youngsters to stand alone.  there must be a huge school in there. Perhaps the Rock and Kilcavan could then work something out between them. A regular crop of three or four players each year would work miracles for all three clubs but they will have to take a long term view of things
You have hit the nail on the head as the root cause of the poor state of health of football in Mountmellick Town. There are two clubs  operating in the same catchment area which has led to division and a lot of players slipping through the cracks.  Logically there should be one club something I imagine won't happen anytime soon.

SCFC

Good enough standard of a final in fairness.
Mountmellick just hadn't the firepower that Courtwood had. Struggled all night to score from play whereas Courtwood were far more fluid and only for Keogh's shotstopping ability and Luttrell's off night on the frees, it might have been a rout.
I've heard it said that MM should walk the intermediate next year but I'm not so sure. Particularly if the Castletown thing gets the bullet as rumoured.

Heshs Umpire

One thing that should be said about the final is - ah here, no, feck it, YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Sorry. 🙂
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

High Fielder

Fair play to your lads Hesh. Lovely to see. Good luck in Leinster and Senior next year. A great achievement in fairness.

Jd

You still drunk Hesh...... Jasus you were great entertainment in the last few mins. Nervous as a bag of cats and I could see that from the back of the stand. Well done Courtwood a fine little club that always thinks big and a good supplier of county players down the years too

Don Draper

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on October 01, 2018, 12:51:32 PM
One thing that should be said about the final is - ah here, no, feck it, YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Sorry. 🙂
I'd say The Fishermans Monday Club is at bursting point today.

Jd

Think the establishment  of choice  is the final  furlong  there Don....... Might tip over myself  later

Helix

Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 06:04:22 PM
Think the establishment  of choice  is the final  furlong  there Don....... Might tip over myself  later

The Airport green bus would be handy from Portlaoise for the final furlong ;) Hopefully Courtwood give leinster a good rattle!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Laoiseabu

its longwood  from Meath or the winners of the louth final they are playing in Leinster