Heaney lambastes Tyrone cheats (sort of)

Started by ONeill, May 15, 2007, 09:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Throwback Francie shows up the modern day prima donnas  

AGAINST THE BREEZE  
by Paddy Heaney 

Cult Hero: The cult status that Armagh defender Francie Bellew has built up over the years owes much to his honest, no-nonsense style of play which is in stark contrast to the play-acting of some of his peers

I couldn't help thinking of Francie Bellew while watching the quiz at the end of 'The Championship' on Sunday night.

Our beloved Francie mightn't feature for Armagh this year and the summer will be the poorer for his absence.

Since entering the Championship arena in 2002, the Crossmaglen defender has become a cult hero. He's a figure who commands respect and admiration well beyond the borders of his native county.

One of the reasons for Francie's popularity is that he is a throwback to the days of yore when strength was the pre-eminent characteristic of any self-respecting defender. Back then speed was considered a useful but not an essential component of the defender's CV.

Francie's Allstar award and continued presence in the orange jersey has proved that there is still a place for the traditional footballer in the modern game.

However, Francie's nationwide appeal cannot be solely attributed to his ability as a footballer. The style and spirit in which he plays the game has also endeared him to many supporters.

The elder generation, the boys and girls who remember 'ladies' choices' and Senior Service cigarettes, hold Francie in particular affection because he represents an honest, stoic manliness that is quickly evaporating from a game once played by honest, stoic men.

Watch a golden oldie repeat on TG4 and it's startling to see how much gaelic football has changed over the past 25 years. While the quality has improved, not all the changes have been for the better.

In the not too distant past, players didn't feign injury, they didn't dive and time-wasting wasn't considered a key component of the gameplan.

Again, part of Francie Bellew's appeal is that he harks back to a time when 'going down' was a sign of weakness. Strong men took pride in staying on their feet and getting on with the job, even when they were hurt.

While it's true that Francie is no saint, I've watched him being kicked, thumped and provoked by forwards. On every occasion, he has soaked up the punishment with impervious calm. And, unlike many of the men he has marked, Francie has never tried to get anyone booked or sent off by going down in a heap.

Whenever Francie Bellew does stay on the ground, it's a cast-iron guarantee that he's injured and in genuine pain. If only the same could be said for the hundreds of other players who routinely make a mockery of the principles that once lay at the heart of gaelic football.

Make no mistake, the current tactic of time-wasting by feigning injury is the single biggest cancer affecting the sport. This abominable, dishonest practice is sabotaging the spirit of the game and ruining it as a spectacle.

The closing stages of Sunday's minor game between Down and Cavan was a prime example. Down were defending a three-point lead as they faced a late onslaught from Cavan. It could have been an exciting finale, but the play was continually disrupted as the Mourne lads hit the deck at every opportunity.

It was infuriating to watch and it was hard not to sympathise with the Cavan players who grew increasingly frustrated as they watched their opponents engage in this shameless play-acting.

Maybe the Down lads were injured, but none appeared to be suffering from cramp or any other ailment when they celebrated their victory.

It's perhaps a bit cruel to single out the Down minors, but I make no apologies for my choice of example. The fact that it is U18 players who are engaged in this behaviour further demonstrates how endemic this appalling tactic has become.

The 'Dying Swan' routine can be witnessed at every level, from underage to senior, from school to club to county. The problem is so widespread that it must be assumed that players of all ages are being encouraged to do it by their mentors.

Unfortunately, the reason teams are encouraged to indulge in this hideous gamesmanship is because it has yielded results.

Tyrone, the All-Ireland champions in 2003 and 2005 have been the worst offenders at the top level. In 2003, they were particularly guilty.

Sean Cavanagh put Jurgen Klinsmann to shame when he got Derry's Padraig O'Kane sent off for a second yellow card in Casement Park. Brian McGuigan went down like he was shot when Greg McCartan threw the ball at him in the Ulster final and Philip Jordan didn't cover himself in glory during the incident which led to Diarmaid Marsden being sent off in that year's All-Ireland final.

In Tyrone's case, the Red Hand players were willing to make a meal of fouls in a bid to get players booked or sent off. Since then, referees have become more wary of the thespian tendencies of players from all teams and are not as easily hoodwinked.

However, the practice of feigning injury during the closing stages of a game is still rampant and this scourge will only be eradicated when referees have the bottle to add on whatever extra time is required.

Once three or four minutes of added time has been signalled, players realise the referees are reluctant to go beyond what has been displayed on the board. But, it's time for the men in black to get tough.

If one team suffers a rash of 'injuries' during this period, referees must have the courage to stop the clock.

This may lead to seven or eight minutes of added time being played, but the trailing team must be given a sporting chance.

Otherwise this disgusting behaviour will become embedded in the culture of our game and we will continue to see young players rewarded for acting injured instead of acting like men – men like Francie Bellew.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Drumanee 1

he's just using them as an obvious example,they are no means the only culprits of this carry on

Candyman

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on May 15, 2007, 09:41:30 AM
he's just using them as an obvious example,they are no means the only culprits of this carry on
you said it... the best example around!!!

gander

Tyrone definitley aren't the only team at this, just seems like there is more individuals willing to do it.  Every team has 1 or 2 players like this though, even Armagh! ie Martin O'Rourke

Square Ball

Its a good honest piece, and lets face it, hes correct with the basic premis of the artical, some people feign injury to stop the other teams momentum and to get then yellow and red cards.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

shotstopper1

QuoteAnd, unlike many of the men he has marked, Francie has never tried to get anyone booked or sent off by going down in a heap.

I'd say Pierce McKenna would have his own views on this.

cavan4ever

What really annoys me is players pretending to be injured to waste time, the clock should be stopped when someone is injured or else play should continue with the player allowed to recieve treatment.

Fionntamhnach

As I said not too long ago, didn't Bellew go down a little bit to easy to ground in a championship match against Cavan a few years back which saw an opponent get sent off?

Time to put the flame proof jacket on...

full back

IMO, it is the referee & only the referee who can eradicate this problem. There is little or no chance of club/school/county mentors telling their charges to stay on their feet if they are defending a lead with time almost up.
If a referee had enough balls to add on the correct amount of 'injury time' the play acting would be swiftly cut down in all cases.

Bensars

Once again Heaney, trying to be controversial, to ignite a backlash from tyrones support several days prior to their first championship game. ::)

Who said Pat Spillane has the only ego that needs massaging

gander

The ref can maybe cut down on the time wasting, but there's nothing much he can do about diving or cheating, he's being conned as well.  Its down to the coaches and players themselves to get rid of that stuff.

Uladh

Refs should not only make sure to add the time on but also a further 30 seconds any time he thinks its a deliberate action to make up for the break up in the "flow" of the game, which is the real objective.

Anyway, unless its an obviously serious injury, play should not stop for physio treatment. see how many conmen stay on the ground with the last couple of minutes of a tight championship game going on around them.

Mack the finger

Fair play to Heaney. Good to see him being honest about Tyrone as well; great player as Cavanagh is, spoils it with his
soccer antics.

Tyrones acheivements are sullied by those theatrics.

ziggysego

Title of this thread's a bit one sided. Can't say I'm too worried about this article. His basic premise is correct.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Tis an awful affliction alright. Maybe we should go down the route of Aussie Rules and trample all over the supposedly injured players.

As for cramp, tis probably more in the heads of the minor players.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.