Feile 2018 on this weekend - Louth, Down & Meath hosting

Started by Maroon Heaven, June 28, 2018, 02:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Am Fortunate to be involved as a father of a player this year and being hosted by St Feichins of Co. Louth.

Really looking forward to experiencing it.

Any memories folks?

Stan Laurel

Football, Hurling, Camogie, they are the best weekends for the kids, one of the true successes of the GAA. Enjoy every minute, was fortunate enough to be at 4 over the years in all disciplines, your son will love it - and the craic is great for the parents, especially the Saturday night BBQ!

toby47

Brilliant weekend that the kids will remember forever. Have been part of 4 Feile's (2 as player, 1 as supporter, 1 as host) and loved them all. Brilliant craic and demonstrates exactly what the GAA is all about. With the weather expected you are in for a clinker of a weekend!

befair

Great experience of the feile in Galway in the the 2000s, can't remember the exact year. Slight concern about how competitive it became, maybe better to just have friendly games rather than overall winners

Dinny Breen

Hosted Shane O'Neills from Armagh in 87 and 88. They hammered us in the group stages, think they might have won it in 87. Remember the parade through Newbridge in 87 more than anything else.
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 02:22:03 PM
Hosted Shane O'Neills from Armagh in 87 and 88. They hammered us in the group stages, think they might have won it in 87. Remember the parade through Newbridge in 87 more than anything else.

I think they did. Would be friends still with a good few of them. I would question some of their 'birth' certificates at the time 🤣.

Played in Galway in about 1990 I think, stayed in Caherlistrane. Middle of nowhere and stayed with a family called Glynn, huge house built on a bog!!! Got to the semi finals and beaten by St Finbarrs who won it to complete 3 in a row. There was a post on Twitter last year of the players that played in that particular year. A who's who of mid to late 90's AI winners. Team was

Alan Keane Galway
Richie Fahy Galway
Francis Bellew Armagh
Tomas Meehan Galway
Tommy Joyce Galway
Declan Meehan Galway
Hank Traynor Meath
Dara O Se Kerry
Tony McEntee Armagh
John McEntee Armagh
Kieran McDonald Mayo
Oisín McConville Armagh
Derek Savage Galway
Padraig Joyce Galway
Dara O Cinneide Kerry

Kieran Mc the only one without a Celtic Cross but has a club AI. Other notables Ronan Rocks Derry, Niall Carew Sligo and Shay Walsh Galway. Not a bad auld squad!!!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 28, 2018, 02:59:26 PM

I think they did. Would be friends still with a good few of them. I would question some of their 'birth' certificates at the time 🤣.

Played in Galway in about 1990 I think, stayed in Caherlistrane. Middle of nowhere and stayed with a family called Glynn, huge house built on a bog!!! Got to the semi finals and beaten by St Finbarrs who won it to complete 3 in a row. There was a post on Twitter last year of the players that played in that particular year. A who's who of mid to late 90's AI winners. Team was

Alan Keane Galway
Richie Fahy Galway
Francis Bellew Armagh
Tomas Meehan Galway
Tommy Joyce Galway
Declan Meehan Galway
Hank Traynor Meath
Dara O Se Kerry
Tony McEntee Armagh
John McEntee Armagh
Kieran McDonald Mayo
Oisín McConville Armagh
Derek Savage Galway
Padraig Joyce Galway
Dara O Cinneide Kerry

Kieran Mc the only one without a Celtic Cross but has a club AI. Other notables Ronan Rocks Derry, Niall Carew Sligo and Shay Walsh Galway. Not a bad auld squad!!!

Ha! They were massive, the full-back stayed with me he was at least 6'3, we just thought all the jockeys polluting our gene pool was holding us back.
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 03:50:17 PM

Alan Keane Galway
Richie Fahy Galway
Francis Bellew Armagh
Tomas Meehan Galway
Tommy Joyce Galway
Declan Meehan Galway
Hank Traynor Meath
Dara O Se Kerry
Tony McEntee Armagh
John McEntee Armagh
Kieran McDonald Mayo
Oisín McConville Armagh
Derek Savage Galway
Padraig Joyce Galway
Dara O Cinneide Kerry

Ha! They were massive, the full-back stayed with me he was at least 6'3, we just thought all the jockeys polluting our gene pool was holding us back.

Probably big Gerry Hartigan....he was a monster of a man....and actually was the right age!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 28, 2018, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 03:50:17 PM

Alan Keane Galway
Richie Fahy Galway
Francis Bellew Armagh
Tomas Meehan Galway
Tommy Joyce Galway
Declan Meehan Galway
Hank Traynor Meath
Dara O Se Kerry
Tony McEntee Armagh
John McEntee Armagh
Kieran McDonald Mayo
Oisín McConville Armagh
Derek Savage Galway
Padraig Joyce Galway
Dara O Cinneide Kerry

Probably big Gerry Hartigan....he was a monster of a man....and actually was the right age!

That could have been him alright as I had the name Ger in my head, we shared my bedroom, quiet unassuming chap.
#newbridgeornowhere

shark

Played in the hurling Feile in '97 and '98. Waterford and Wexford. played 6, drew 1, lost 5. Played Birr in '98, they were on another planet to us. Division 2, but they probably would not have been far off winning Division 1. Which was won by Ballyhale.

Zulu

Anyone else having issues with the feile website? Keeps crashing for me.

Dougal Maguire

The Newbridge parade in 2009 was brilliant as well. My son was playing for our Club team. Made some great friends that year. Was back in Carlow as a supporter in 2015. Got into conversation with 2 ladies in Tesco in Newry today, with full shopping trollies, who were preparing to host some teams from Munster. They were so excited about it Great stuff altogether
Careful now

befair

Feile in my home club, Rostrevor, was a wonderful occasion. Welcomed Ballymacarbry, Waterford and Carndonagh, Donegal, and it was great to have them here

Zulu

Great weekend, took in a number of matches and visited a few more clubs. Facilities were very impressive. Weather was lovely too!