Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Maybe united should go 4-5-1. Play the back 4, then two holding DMs, with Pogba ahead of them and free to do whatever he wants, with Rashford and Martial getting up and down. Sanchez probably wouldn't fit in that team, but I'm not sure he fits at the moment.

mouview

Quote from: johnnycool on March 14, 2018, 08:42:03 AM

Juve gave a masterclass the previous week of how to soak up pressure and hit on the counter, that's the style Jose likes and tries to replicate at Manu.
Problem is Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Roho aren't Chiellini or even close to it and Jose hasn't really made an effort to buy a high end defender.
He then spunks big money on Sanchez and Pogba (A) because he can and (B) the fans initially think its great and it appeases them when the see what the Arabs are buying next door.

Jose is caught between two stools and is making a mess of it.

But.. but... but I thought Shaw was going to be the next great English defender when he was signed, the media told us so. When it turned out he was an unfit crock, Lindelof, who must have been world class because MU had been pursuing him for several seasons, was brought in. Looks like he's a dud now too. Pogba is a world class midfielder, but not at OT. Where's it gone wrong?

Last night was reminiscent of some of the great OT nights under SAF, after the latest mid-tier continental outfit had passed his team silly. A usually puce and almost-incoherent Ferguson would serve up more entertainment at the post-match interviews than what had been witnessed on the field.

screenexile

Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2018, 11:42:11 AM

Juve gave a masterclass the previous week of how to soak up pressure and hit on the counter, that's the style Jose likes and tries to replicate at Manu.
Problem is Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Roho aren't Chiellini or even close to it and Jose hasn't really made an effort to buy a high end defender.
He then spunks big money on Sanchez and Pogba (A) because he can and (B) the fans initially think its great and it appeases them when the see what the Arabs are buying next door.

But.. but... but I thought Shaw was going to be the next great English defender when he was signed, the media told us so. When it turned out he was an unfit crock, Lindelof, who must have been world class because MU had been pursuing him for several seasons, was brought in. Looks like he's a dud now too. Pogba is a world class midfielder, but not at OT. Where's it gone wrong?

Last night was reminiscent of some of the great OT nights under SAF, after the latest mid-tier continental outfit had passed his team silly. A usually puce and almost-incoherent Ferguson would serve up more entertainment at the post-match interviews than what had been witnessed on the field.

This was my favourite Fergie tantrum . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbfGi54ZF84

Yeah they didn't get out of the group that season!!!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on March 14, 2018, 10:09:30 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 14, 2018, 10:00:16 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 14, 2018, 09:46:02 AM
That was dreadful, as soon as I saw the team I was worried. I still can't believe he started Fellaini, one of the most bizare decisions I've ever seen any manager make. He's not a defensive midfielder and it left United with no control over Sevilla at all, playing him alongside Matic when he's fit is bad enough but to play him after barely playing any football in months was a crazy decision he'll regret for a long time.

Ultimately its the managers fault and Mourinho deserves all the flack he gets for last night, Sevilla are a good side but its obvious the English clubs have improved in recent years judging by results this season but we gave them too much respect last night although there's no chance you can control a match with a midfield 2 of Matic & Fellaini, I can see what he was trying to do but it was obvious early on that Fellaini was having a poor night and struggled to control any ball that came his way.

Apart from Lukaku everyone else was poor, United needed to start with a high tempo and didn't: I put most of that down to Fellaini's inclusion, he's too easy to play against and not good enough at pressuring opponents.

I still think Mourinho is the right man for the job but obviously he's not beyond criticism. He's got to get it right next season which is mounting a proper title challenge and playing better football consistently. He's never going to play football like Pep or Klopp but his Chelsea teams were decent to watch though. I've no doubt he'll get money to bring in better players but its still worrying you can make a case we still need 5 players. In an ideal world we need 2 new fullbacks, a centre half, centre mid and a right sided attacking player but I just don't see that happening. He needed to have a bigger clearout last summer and bring in more players but that didn't materialise, still don't understand why a leftback wasn't bought.

We'll all agree Mourinho isn't getting the most out of his attacking players.

Ashley Young is playing the best football of his career and likely to be England's first choice left back for the World Cup. Valencia also having a good season. Of all the problems Utd have, full backs aren't one of them.

The full backs rarely cross the half way line, create overlaps or produce anything in an attacking sense in the big games under Mourinho. It is the way he has always set up. Keep the full backs in a rigid position, you don't have to be a great footballer to play this role.

Young has been decent in certain games but as Roy Keane said recently, I always worry if he is getting into the starting XI. Valencia has had a poor season and no longer has the athleticism he had a few years back.

Agreed, Young has had one good games in the last few months and Valenica is nothing like the player he has been the last few years. They would both be good backups to new fullbacks. United need a clearout, the likes of Blind & Darmian aren't good enough and neither is Smalling.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: mouview on March 14, 2018, 11:42:11 AM

World class midfielders are all team players, ones that work as hard off the ball than on it. Teams that performs poorly get knocked out of cup competitions and managers will use every excuse under the sun why they lost.

Maroon Manc

AZOffaly

I just saw Mourinho's comments about how he knocked Man Utd out at OT with Porto and Real Madrid, so it's nothing new for United. He's some cookie.

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 03:52:59 PM
I just saw Mourinho's comments about how he knocked Man Utd out at OT with Porto and Real Madrid, so it's nothing new for United. He's some cookie.

I heard him say that last night. I hope this was noted in the board room.... The p***k.

magpie seanie

Quote from: GJL on March 14, 2018, 04:16:45 PM

I heard him say that last night. I hope this was noted in the board room.... The p***k.

It was scandalous. This guy thinks he's bigger than the club. He's dirt.

Captain Obvious

A poor game that had 0-0 written all over it with 70 minutes played. Sevilla at the stage really didn't look like scoring either unlike the 1st leg. A sub Ben Yedder turned this tie on its head and scored two for good measure why didn't he start either leg?

Its was poor Champions league exit for Manchester United however even in Fergusons time they suffered that, maybe complacency played its part as recent wins over Chelsea,Liverpool might have given that mind set going into last night game. At least they will have Champions league football again next year and look to do better. It will be now interesting to see how the remaining Premier league teams fare in the Champions league 2 already out and probably a 3rd (Chelsea) before the last eight is not good for a league that labels itself as the best league in the world.

Comments made little sense was he clutching at straws after that defeat? His Porto side went on to win the Champions League,Real Madrid were one of the best in Europe. Sevilla in comparison will likely be knocked out in the next round.

Syferus

It's pretty hard to make the last eight in the rich man's competition and not be a good side.. Sevilla have a great recent European record. You'd have been the buck who said Porto would be out the next round back in 2004.

seafoid

The curse of Glazer will go on for some time
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Yeah which basically translates to - happened before so can't be me to blame. I really don't know how anyone ever warms to this guy.

magpie seanie

On this day last year.....Leicester City beat Sevilla 2-0 at home to progress to the quarterfinals of the Champions League 3-2 on aggregate.

Square Ball

Jose could take Messi and turn him into Djemba-Djemba
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid