Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 07, 2017, 06:07:24 PM
Need nutrition advice. Doing a marathon at end of April. During my long runs after 20km I'm out of energy. What should I eat before and during long runs. Before I have slice of toast and coffee and energy gels after during. It's not working past a certain point.
before doing a long training/marathon run i'd have more to eat beforehand than a slice of toast!! i'd have something along the lines of either porridge, banana and toast or cereal plus bit of chocolate just before i leave. that works so far for me but everybodys different.
nil satis nisi optimum

laoislad

I always did the long runs 20km+ on a empty stomach. I'm not one for eating a breakfast anyway and used to do my long runs very early on a Sunday morning around 6am so could never bring myself to eat anything so early. Longest I got up to was about 32km but even the morning of the Marathons I ate very little if anything at all.I'd be fairly hungry by the time I got home alright.!
I would bring water and gels but that was it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mrdeeds

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 07, 2017, 06:25:00 PM
Need nutrition advice. Doing a marathon at end of April. During my long runs after 20km I'm out of energy. What should I eat before and during long runs. Before I have slice of toast and coffee and energy gels after during. It's not working past a certain point.
before doing a long training/marathon run i'd have more to eat beforehand than a slice of toast!! i'd have something along the lines of either porridge, banana and toast or cereal plus bit of chocolate just before i leave. that works so far for me but everybodys different.

What do you have during the run?

SHEEDY

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 07, 2017, 06:38:52 PM

usally gels altough some of these have given me an upset stomach during a race so i sometimes try to avoid taking too many. i have also carried marshmallows, jellybabies, jelly beans or skittles anything that will give you a boost. some of the proper runners on here pobably will have different nutrients to eat during race. try different things and if your happy stick with it. is this your 1st marathon? good luck with it.
nil satis nisi optimum

mrdeeds

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 07, 2017, 07:09:10 PM

usally gels altough some of these have given me an upset stomach during a race so i sometimes try to avoid taking too many. i have also carried marshmallows, jellybabies, jelly beans or skittles anything that will give you a boost. some of the proper runners on here pobably will have different nutrients to eat during race. try different things and if your happy stick with it. is this your 1st marathon? good luck with it.

It is yeah. Done halfs before.

imtommygunn

slow release carbs before run - porridge your best bet. evening time brown rice or wholewheat pasta.

i have never done more than a half but if you want to use gels use them on your training runs to get your body ready.

i know a few boys who would take glucose tablets during the runs too. whatever you take try it out quite a bit in training so your body can adapt. again i know a few who struggle with gels as their stomachs find them too harsh.

laoislad

The isogels are much easier on the stomach I find.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lfdown2

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 07, 2017, 07:18:21 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on March 07, 2017, 07:09:10 PM

It is yeah. Done halfs before.

Same boat as yourself mrdeeds, doing Paris on 9th April - I go for 2 slices of toast with peanut butter & banana about an hour before setting off on long run and during I alternate at each 5km with a tracker bar & winegums. Have tried gels got on ok, though stomach didn't feel great 1 week (not sure if that was gel related), but have stuck to the trackers & wingums due to availability.

Helix

Just a general query to runners with flat feet and wear orthotics.

I find it difficult to wear orthotics in the runners I have at moment and when run without can get small blister on arch of foot. Just wondering anyone have problem like this and is there a decent runner with wide base to make more comfortable. Trying to break a sub 20 5k time but when pain from blister kicks in very hard to go full tilt.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

EagleLord

I wear the orthodics in all my footwear. Bar my slippers i have on at the minute  8)

I suffer from blisters on arch of foot too. always on the left one more for some reason. But when i run without the orthodics in my runners or boots, i get sore all over, ankles, calves, achilles. so im dammed if i do.. I take the blister option as its lesser of two evils. Compeed blister plasters are my saviour.

tintin25

Folks,

Decided to vary my fitness regime for abit and have started running again - before I was just doing the odd kettlebell/circuits class and strength/conditioning session.

Have a 5km race coming up in April and really wanna push for a good time.

To prepare I've started running a 5km route in the last week or so and getting round in about 25/26 mins (I know I could go faster in a race).  Also did a 10 km last night which I finished in 54 mins (defo didn't push myself and felt really comfortable after it).

Should I vary things further by maybe doing a fast 3km or perhaps 7km/8km?

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: EagleLord on March 07, 2017, 10:45:38 PM
I wear the orthodics in all my footwear. Bar my slippers i have on at the minute  8)

I suffer from blisters on arch of foot too. always on the left one more for some reason. But when i run without the orthodics in my runners or boots, i get sore all over, ankles, calves, achilles. so im dammed if i do.. I take the blister option as its lesser of two evils. Compeed blister plasters are my saviour.

Two things.
Physio recently told me nobody should be wearing orthotics long term as the muscles in your feet etc begin to depend on  them and hamstring, calf etc injuries follow. Your body is all linked and if one part isnt doing its part another part is overloaded. Recently reading about barefoot training and the benefits of this for stability and mobility.

Point 2 is a bit more obscure. If u have a blister that burst but skin still attached and have very tender skin underneath then get some superglue and stick the skin flap back to your foot. Did it recently with a v sore blister and worked a treat.

mrdeeds

Quote from: tintin25 on March 22, 2017, 12:57:13 PM
Folks,

Decided to vary my fitness regime for abit and have started running again - before I was just doing the odd kettlebell/circuits class and strength/conditioning session.

Have a 5km race coming up in April and really wanna push for a good time.

To prepare I've started running a 5km route in the last week or so and getting round in about 25/26 mins (I know I could go faster in a race).  Also did a 10 km last night which I finished in 54 mins (defo didn't push myself and felt really comfortable after it).

Should I vary things further by maybe doing a fast 3km or perhaps 7km/8km?

Vary things by doing 400 and 800 metre speed work with rest in between and in 5km runs sometimes add short sprints in by using road signs etc... as a target.

Milltown Row2

Beautiful night for a run, 13km . So much easier when the weather is like that...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

Can I go for a jog with a dead leg? Just cause I'm following a training plan.