Www.winahouseindublin.com

Started by Orchard park, December 27, 2018, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 29, 2018, 01:07:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 29, 2018, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 28, 2018, 09:31:02 PM
Not meaning to be a begrudger by any stretch of the imagination but I always wondered about these types of things. Particularly in the north. If you win a house do you not still have to fork out the considerable stamp duty. Moreover do you not end up with a hefty tax liability to the point where the prize is far lower than what it cost the organisers in the first place.

Not the first time you've offered dubious legal advice here

Nothing dubious at all you'll find. He poses a question about possible legal and tax implications. As Orchard Park has stated registration fees and stamp duty are payable. There's no immediate immediate tax implication but in the event of a future sale there is a potential tax implication. I'm not an accountant but there's a potential tax liability on the sale of about 33% on the sale value. That's pretty substantial. There also have been a number of test cases in England and the north about the ability to actually have a house as a prize in a raffle like this as there are questions under the gaming legislation about the ability to transfer an asset of this nature but that's another question altogether.

Here,  how's the legal practice going these days?

CGT only on any increase in value above the 425k and not applicable on a primary residence...

It will be a nice "problem"To have for one lucky person anyways

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Syferus on December 29, 2018, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 28, 2018, 09:31:02 PM
Not meaning to be a begrudger by any stretch of the imagination but I always wondered about these types of things. Particularly in the north. If you win a house do you not still have to fork out the considerable stamp duty. Moreover do you not end up with a hefty tax liability to the point where the prize is far lower than what it cost the organisers in the first place.

Not the first time you've offered dubious legal advice here
Did you actually buy a ticket yourself

Rossfan

He's been too busy running the Universe! ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

David McKeown

I didn't realise that asking a question about something that's interested me for a while but on which I know nothing about constituted offering dubious legal advice. Maybe that's how I did it previously? Because apparently this isn't the first time.  That's a question and should not be interpreted as a piece of legal advice.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orchard park

Only onev poster took it as such David.

My advise buy a ticket and hopefully have the issue to deal with first hand. It looks like c12500 tickets currently sold so what the final 24 hours brings in will be interesting

David McKeown

Oh best of luck with it. I didn't realise it was still going.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orchard park

Tomorrow night at 9pm in the Hodson Bay

Rossfan

If we nett over €750k won't we have done well?
All we need then is AIG to sponsor us...... ::)

Cunny Funt

Lucan winner, those dubs win everything. Over 14k tickets sold.

Orchard park

Guts of 950k profit...... A roaring success

Rossfan

Mighty effort.
Congrats to the lucky winner and well done RCB and Clubrossie.
14,034 tickets sold.

stephenite

Quote from: Orchard park on December 30, 2018, 10:20:34 PM

Jaysus - that's a lot of coin, fair play to ye

Itchy

Time to trade in the bus for a double decker?

magpie seanie

That's a phenomenal success. Well done Roscommon.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Orchard park on December 30, 2018, 10:20:34 PM
Well done- it was a gamble I suppose but it was a case of fortune favours the brave.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi