Spillane demoted

Started by Maguire01, April 05, 2009, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Great news.....Now he can stop being so diplomatic hosting the show and really say what he thinks....should make things interesting

rrhf

Im sure after the bruised ego has healed it will be a relief for Pat himself.  Perennially out of his depth and almost trashed the show during his anchorage. 

blewuporstuffed

bring back Jerome Quinn ! ;)
tell the beeb to stick it Jerome and get yourself down to dublin 4 to replace pat
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

under the bar

Give it to Benny Tierney & Joe Brolly. 

Benny can tentatively kick-off with a few risque but funny jokes about his wife before Joe seizing the opportunity so as not to be outdone weighs in with a couple of bar-room favorites about defiling nuns.  Viewing figures will go though the roof until it's pulled and Joe negotiates a 7 figure pay-off.

magpie seanie

This is great news. O'Cinneide is the obvious choice which makes me very worried that he won't get it.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Only one man for the job, wee Joe - hilarious!

Canalman

Seán Bán Breathnach would be my choice (prob the "wrong" demographic for the RTÉ mandarins)..... his show on TG4 is class. Des Cahill is imo a lightweight and would prefer a bloke (emphasis on bloke) who sits back and lets the pundits do the talking and who is obviously mad about the games á la SBB.

Have a  feeling that a "token chick" may be fasttracked on to the show.

balladmaker

O'Cinneide is a great broadcaster, but I would prefer him as an analyst than a presenter, the reason being he is one hell of an analyst when compared to the likes of Tommy Lyons and Bernard Flynn!

Doogie Browser

Darragh Maloney is very competent and would be a good anchor IMO, knowledgeable and easy to listen to.   

Croí na hÉireann

Great news, would imagine they will swap him with O'Cinneide to balance out the number of Kerrymen on the panel. I think he'd make a good fist of it and it'd keep the likes of Cantwell and Lyons away from the anchor's chair.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

RMDrive

We should avoid getting caught in the trap of thinking that the best anchor has to be a former player. The role of this person is to control the topics discussed on the show rather than giving his/her own opinions. We need a strong personality who can manage the likes of spillane, brolly etc but their background doesn't necessarily need to be as an IC player - a love of GAA is essential obviously.

AZOffaly

Yeah, but Dara O'Cinneide is a media professional. He works with Radio n Gaeltachta, and has presented programs on TG4, etc. He'd be able for it I'd say. I still think Joanne will get it, with Aobhinn moving into the Joanne role.

bingobus

I always thought that the Anchor should be neutral insofar as possible ie someone who never played or managed a side. Like Bill in the soccer, lyster on the live games.

This will esnure total control and ask the hard questions. Spillane choose when to do this over the years.

I'm not sure who this is though. Cahill, if he could be serious and stop telling jokes, although he was the one good thing on the GAA Late Late show special.

Maybe Eamon "I love the GAA" Dunphy could do it. Or Bertie maybe, is he still a TD. If So he'd have loads of free time to do it.

AbbeySider

What about Jonathan Mullen?

Current RTE news GAA correspondent...

johnpower

A Bad day for  broadcasting . I hope he gets a permanent spot on the panel