Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 01:39:30 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394015/Cyclist-killed-motorist-road-rage-attack-driver-opened-car-door-him.html

A cyclist was jailed for 18 months today after he killed a motorist who opened his car door in front of him.
Tony Magdi, 52, died three weeks after being assaulted outside his greengrocer's shop in Hove, East Sussex, on November 7 last year.
Paul Lambeth, 36, was originally charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm, but this was changed to manslaughter following Mr Magdi's death at Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre in Haywards Heath on November 28.
Sentencing him at Hove Crown Court, Judge Michael Lawson QC said he had given Lambeth credit for pleading guilty at the first available opportunity.
But he added that the fact that he did not give himself up straight away -  and only did so after he had already been identified as a suspect and police were looking for him - was a strong aggravating factor.
Outlining the circumstances of the case, prosecutor Amy Packham said Lambeth had been cycling with two friends, James Jones and Michael Wilson, eastbound along Portland Road towards central Hove at around midday when the incident happened.
The three men were cycling in a line with Mr Jones in front when they approached Mr Magdi's Jaguar which had just pulled up and parked. Mr Magdi then opened his door before the cyclists had passed.

'The door struck a passing cyclist. There was a collision between the cyclist and the door,' Miss Packham said.
'This cyclist was not the defendant, it was his friend Mr James Jones, and they collided, causing Mr Jones to lose control of his bike and fall on to the road.'
Miss Packham said the collision forced Lambeth and Mr Wilson to brake and swerve, while a fourth passing cyclist, Anthony Randles, fell off his bike.
The court heard that, although all four cyclists were initially angry with Mr Magdi - with Lambeth hurling insults at the apologetic driver - 'the immediate confrontation and anger had passed'.
Miss Packham continued: 'It was at this point that the defendant suddenly punched Mr Magdi without provocation' and he fell hard on to the pavement.'
The prosecutor said Mr Jones then shouted at Lambeth, asking him why he had landed the punch, to which he replied: 'I'm not wearing it.'
Lambeth then mounted his bike and cycled away with Mr Wilson.
Mr Jones and Mr Randles tried to assist Mr Magdi by putting him in the recovery position, but when it became clear that he was unconscious and unresponsive, Mr Jones too panicked and fled the scene.
A passing doctor came to Mr Magdi's aid and he was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton by ambulance.
However, a CT scan showed he had significant bleeding on his brain and he was transferred to Hurstwood Park where he died three weeks later.

What has this got to do with the topic?

The cause of death was not a person in the process of cycling. It was a post-accident (which appears to have been the car driver's fault) assault.

punt kick

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 02:02:51 PM
Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 01:47:49 PM
Good man AQMP you are coming across well - keep popping up deaths there I am sure the families of the victims will appreciate their love ones being used as fodder by yourself.  The last one hasn't even the circumstances, if I was a cyclist I would try to avoid one of the busiest roads in any country!

Right, but I'm sure the families will appreciate you blaming their loved ones for their own deaths?

Point out where I blamed cyclists for their own deaths?

if I was a cyclist I would try to avoid one of the busiest roads in any country! 

I understood this to infer that he shouldn't have been there in the first place?  If that's not what you meant, then apologies

It was more a general statement of fact.

punt kick

Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2017, 02:15:55 PM

The cause of death was not a person in the process of cycling. It was a post-accident (which appears to have been the car driver's fault) assault.

It was road rage from a cyclist at a motorist, and not even the cyclist the motorist accidentally clipped - some gobshite coming behind.

punt kick

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 02:06:12 PM
Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 01:48:24 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on July 31, 2017, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 01:29:48 PM
Has a cyclist ever killed a car driver?

Probably not, seems like a silly question. Since you are a cyclist, can you answer me this; why should your hobby hold me up on my journeys?

::)

Care to answer his question?

A few weeks ago I was held up going to visit my old Mum by a crowd going to a football match.

Did everyone at the football match walk side by side for 10 miles and ignore the fact you and line of cars were behind them, does this happen you daily?

J70

Probably not, seems like a silly question
Since you are a cyclist, can you answer me this; why should your hobby hold me up on my journeys?

Well sure why should trucks and agricultural machinery hold you up as well with their lower speed limits and capabilities?

And why do I sometimes get stuck behind old people and other slow people when walking on a narrow footpath? ::)

J70

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 02:19:34 PM

It was road rage from a cyclist at a motorist, and not even the cyclist the motorist accidentally clipped - some gobshite coming behind.

Yes, clearly this idiot has anger issues and he will pay for them.

What that has got to do with the risk to motorists from cyclists in general is beyond me?

Unless of course you have some stats to shed light on the issue?

Are car drivers more at risk, from road rage or otherwise, from the average cyclist or car driver?

And how about the relative risk to cyclists?

Dire Ear

Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2017, 02:21:53 PM

Since you are a cyclist, can you answer me this; why should your hobby hold me up on my journeys?

Well sure why should trucks and agricultural machinery hold you up as well with their lower speed limits and capabilities?

And why do I sometimes get stuck behind old people and other slow people when walking on a narrow footpath? ::)
Maybe you should read the question.......hobby

J70

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 02:20:53 PM
....however I would be in favour it being compulsory for all cyclists (say over the age of 16 to avoid kiddies on stabilisers) to have adequate insurance.  Cycling Ireland do offer insurance through their membership.  Most club cyclists will be but there is a huge amount of leisure cyclists out there who aren't.  I'd even consider compulsory membership of CI for all bike users and give CI more responsibility for ensuring cyclists are aware of their responsibilities on the road.

OK fess up time, as you may have guessed, I do a bit of cycling but I'm just making the point that the "all cyclists are pricks and cnuts" attitude can be challenged.

DeBlasio has been installing bike lanes on a lot of the streets in NYC. And of course the complaints are coming thick and fast about cyclist behaviour, same as here, from drivers, bitching because they lost a lane and their journey home might take five minutes longer.

Of course, none of them have anything to say about the appalling standard and behaviour of drivers of cars, trucks etc. on New York roads and streets. Between speeding, tailgating, talking/texting on phones, reckless, aggressive driving, breaking red lights, unsafe overtaking and the rest, you're taking your life in your hands just driving, never mind cycling. And I would safely say at least half the drivers here don't know what an indicator light is, or if they do, the correct way to use it.

J70

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 31, 2017, 02:26:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2017, 02:21:53 PM

Maybe you should read the question.......hobby

I read it, and I don't see the relevance.

Feel free to explain.

punt kick

Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2017, 02:25:03 PM

What that has got to do with the risk to motorists from cyclists in general is beyond me?

Are car drivers more at risk, from road rage or otherwise, from the average cyclist or car driver?

Was the question - that link was the answer, you need any further explanation or can you grasp that?

J70

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2017, 02:25:03 PM

Was the question - that link was the answer, you need any further explanation or can you grasp that?

I think the implication of the question was about the actions of a cyclist while CYCLING ever killing a car driver.

NOT a road rage incident in reaction to a car driver seriously endangering a cyclist.

punt kick

He was CYCLING behind the guy who had an accident and killed the motorist who caused the accident - it was a direct answer to a direct question.

keeperlit

....however I would be in favour it being compulsory for all cyclists (say over the age of 16 to avoid kiddies on stabilisers) to have adequate insurance.  Cycling Ireland do offer insurance through their membership.  Most club cyclists will be but there is a huge amount of leisure cyclists out there who aren't.  I'd even consider compulsory membership of CI for all bike users and give CI more responsibility for ensuring cyclists are aware of their responsibilities on the road.

OK fess up time, as you may have guessed, I do a bit of cycling but I'm just making the point that the "all cyclists are pricks and cnuts" attitude can be challenged.

What would the point of Insurance be- whenever they do cause accidents or thump the side/roof of your car causing damage on narrow country roads they just ride on and there is no way of identifying them.
One incident I was involved in was were after pulling out of the lane of my own house on a narrow country road and sitting  behind a cyclist for about 1/2 mile. During this 1/2 mile the fellow had about 4 places that he could have pulled into and allowed me pass. I politely beeped as I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did not hear me. He then preceded to give me and my father a tirade of abuse and sat bang in the middle of the road for about 1 & 1/2 miles. I eventually  passed him and jumped out of the car (calmly) to ask him what the problem was. The first thing that came out of his mouth was ' I'll have your house, your car the whole lot if you come near me' as he ride on. I had no intention of touching him but just wanted to find out what his problem was. Brave fella. Protected by his an anonymity but knew were I lived and would have had a number plate, etc.

And this is not one isolated incident with just this lad been a t@sser. Another brave lycra head followed my mother up into the yard and thumped and banged at the car roof. Called the police couldn't do a thing as there is no way of identifying these cowards and by the time police would react they are long gone. And then have the cheek to come crying victim when something happens. Several other incidents like this on our road.

In my opinion, there is a large majority of the lycra brigade who treat other road users like this, as woe betide you would affect their time trials.   All about the stats you know.

Hardy

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 03:42:39 PM
He was CYCLING behind the guy who had an accident and killed the motorist who caused the accident - it was a direct answer to a direct question.

I think I can help.

QuoteLambeth then mounted his bike and cycled away

This implies that when he punched the victim he was not mounted on his bike. Therefore, he wasn't a cyclist when he committed the killing. Therefore this was not a case of a cyclist killing a car driver. Doubly so, as the "car driver" was presumably stopped when he was attacked and therefore not a driver.

haveaharp

Quote from: keeperlit on July 31, 2017, 03:46:00 PM

What would the point of Insurance be- whenever they do cause accidents or thump the side/roof of your car causing damage on narrow country roads they just ride on and there is no way of identifying them.
One incident I was involved in was were after pulling out of the lane of my own house on a narrow country road and sitting  behind a cyclist for about 1/2 mile. During this 1/2 mile the fellow had about 4 places that he could have pulled into and allowed me pass. I politely beeped as I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did not hear me. He then preceded to give me and my father a tirade of abuse and sat bang in the middle of the road for about 1 & 1/2 miles. I eventually  passed him and jumped out of the car (calmly) to ask him what the problem was. The first thing that came out of his mouth was ' I'll have your house, your car the whole lot if you come near me' as he ride on. I had no intention of touching him but just wanted to find out what his problem was. Brave fella. Protected by his an anonymity but knew were I lived and would have had a number plate, etc.

And this is not one isolated incident with just this lad been a t@sser. Another brave lycra head followed my mother up into the yard and thumped and banged at the car roof. Called the police couldn't do a thing as there is no way of identifying these cowards and by the time police would react they are long gone. And then have the cheek to come crying victim when something happens. Several other incidents like this on our road.

In my opinion, there is a large majority of the lycra brigade who treat other road users like this, as woe betide you would affect their time trials.   All about the stats you know.

The could have pulled in and allowed you to pass ? I'm baffled. Why should he ? What was your rush?