Mayo Millionaire backer withholds Money

Started by TheGreatest, September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBX

Quote from: rosnarun on September 27, 2019, 09:24:39 AM
Quote from: MayoBuck on September 26, 2019, 11:38:37 PM
We only know one side of the story at the minute but from Tim O'Leary's POV, he wants assurances that the remainder of the money will be invested in the academy squads or the Lough Lannagh training facility. He doesn't want it spent on some day to day costs, i.e. senior team expenses or the MacHale Park loan.

Why can't these assurances be provided? It would be interesting to hear what issues the county board has?
this reminds me a bit of the Cat scan and dialysis machines   charities buy  for hospitals and then there is not the Staff to run them and they are left idle for years .
like it or not the County board are in charge of the GAA in Mayo and have to take an overall view of finances and not just vanity   Projects instigated by people who seem willing clear off at he first opportunity when they Don't get their own way.

Rosnarun, play the ball not the man. The Supporters Foundation was set-up as a 501c3 Corporation to aid with meeting compliance obligations related to fundraising in the states. One of those obligations is that Trustees, like Mr. O'Leary, have a duty of care to ensure that the charities they support exhibit good governance rooted in the principles of transparency and accountability.

joemamas

Quote from: dublin7 on September 27, 2019, 09:58:11 AM
We only know one side of the story at the minute but from Tim O'Leary's POV, he wants assurances that the remainder of the money will be invested in the academy squads or the Lough Lannagh training facility. He doesn't want it spent on some day to day costs, i.e. senior team expenses or the MacHale Park loan.

Why can't these assurances be provided? It would be interesting to hear what issues the county board has?

I would agree with this. He wanted too see plans for the centre of excellence to be built (which isn't unreasonable as he is paying for majority of it) and the county board seem to just telling him, ah sure it's grand don't worry about it. Seems reasonable enough to withhold funding based on this.

+1, He seems like a genuine supporter IMO, btw to put it mildly the Mayo county board does not have too many Mensa applicants.

Baile Brigín 2

this reminds me a bit of the Cat scan and dialysis machines   charities buy  for hospitals and then there is not the Staff to run them and they are left idle for years .
like it or not the County board are in charge of the GAA in Mayo and have to take an overall view of finances and not just vanity   Projects instigated by people who seem willing clear off at he first opportunity when they Don't get their own way.

They asked him for a contribution to their project. He agreed. They didn't move on with the project but want the money anyway. He said no.

The idea he is imposing is just wrong.

There is always a toadie who will back the organisation even when they are wrong

rosnarun

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 27, 2019, 02:01:28 PM

They asked him for a contribution to their project. He agreed. They didn't move on with the project but want the money anyway. He said no.

There is always a toadie who will back the organisation even when they are wrong
Quote from: EBX on September 27, 2019, 10:46:07 AM

Rosnarun, play the ball not the man. The Supporters Foundation was set-up as a 501c3 Corporation to aid with meeting compliance obligations related to fundraising in the states. One of those obligations is that Trustees, like Mr. O'Leary, have a duty of care to ensure that the charities they support exhibit good governance rooted in the principles of transparency and accountability.

I love when a new board member joins for a specific purpose . I am not attacking o leary at all I know nothing about the man other the article posted here earlier from the daily mail.
my uneasiness come's from the fear he is a tourist with no credentials other than money  and to Quote Shania twain ' that don't impress me much'
Much as people seem to distrust the county board they are Elected by the counties club are are answerable to those clubs . people like o leary  are answerable to no one .
While he money is welcome he should have no say in the running of Mayo GAA other than advisory and stop trying to shame the CB
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

fearsiuil

Quote from: rosnarun on September 27, 2019, 02:43:59 PM

I love when a new board member joins for a specific purpose . I am not attacking o leary at all I know nothing about the man other the article posted here earlier from the daily mail.
my uneasiness come's from the fear he is a tourist with no credentials other than money  and to Quote Shania twain ' that don't impress me much'
Much as people seem to distrust the county board they are Elected by the counties club are are answerable to those clubs . people like o leary  are answerable to no one .
While he money is welcome he should have no say in the running of Mayo GAA other than advisory and stop trying to shame the CB
Your application for Mensa has not been successful this time.

Baile Brigín 2

Oh dear. Thats awful shite.

EBX

Actually, joined a year ago last September so you're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts...…..

You say you're not bashing Mr. O'Leary but then you dismiss him out of hand with as a tourist with no credentials other than money. What do you base this on? What particular knowledge do you have of him other than what you read in the Daily Ranger?

Maybe if you did your homework you would know that he has supported Burrishoole for a number of years.

Maybe if you did your homework you would understand that he is not trying to tell the County Board how to do their job but he is trying to do the job required of him as the Trustee of a charitable foundation, a foundation whose by-laws, make plain that the Foundation is raising funds not just for the Senior Footballers but for the Gaelic Games, as a whole, in the county and by Gaelic Games that includes the Hurling Clubs which our County Board tried to stiff last year when the JP McManus bequest was received.

So, before you say anything in reply, keep the counsel of Abraham Lincoln and remember that "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

weareros

Agree with Rosnarun. A sponsor does not get the right to bring county GAA into disrepute. Maybe because he works in finance thinks he can act like big shareholder or activist investor. This is a troubling development.

heffo

Quote from: EBX on September 27, 2019, 08:31:18 PM

last year when the JP McManus bequest was received.

Its no wonder the County Treasurer cant produce a Balance sheet with the amount of money coming in hand over fist.

manfromdelmonte

Why do Mayo need a COE when there's already one beside Ballyhaunis?
Will it be the only county in Ireland with two COEs?

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 28, 2019, 09:08:53 AM

God only knows? In theory the one is Bekan is for all of Conncht! And in fairness in has to be in some county.

Always though Cake Curran had the right idea where he thought Westmeath and Roscommon should pool their resources and have a centre on excellence in Athlone. 

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2019, 09:29:38 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 28, 2019, 09:08:53 AM

God only knows? In theory the one is Bekan is for all of Conncht! And in fairness in has to be in some county.

Always though Cake Curran had the right idea where he thought Westmeath and Roscommon should pool their resources and have a centre on excellence in Athlone.

Westmeath a duel county. Their hurlers would be as quick going to Abbotstown as Athlone.

Halfquarter

Quote from: heffo on September 27, 2019, 10:37:04 PM
Quote from: EBX on September 27, 2019, 08:31:18 PM

last year when the JP McManus bequest was received.

Its no wonder the County Treasurer cant produce a Balance sheet with the amount of money coming in hand over fist.

Not really,JP McManus' gave a €100,000 donation to each county.
Enclosed in each envelope was an the accompanying note outlining how the money is for the development of GAA across the country and to be divided equally among clubs.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2019, 09:56:11 AM
Cake wanted a new joint  Stadium !!

Yeah, that was part of the overall package. Would have been a money earner as well as all those Intercounty and Club teams that would have been willing to use it over the summer.