New Championship Format

Started by APM, August 22, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred Football Championship format?

Current System
8 (10%)
Pre-2018 - Backdoor - No Super 8s
12 (15%)
Pre-2001 - Knock Out - No Backdoor
8 (10%)
Pre-2001 - Knock Out - No Backdoor - Enhanced League Programme
22 (27.5%)
Open Draw
23 (28.8%)
Tiered Championship
30 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 21, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 02:07:09 PM
Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 12:59:35 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2018, 12:55:36 PM
Think of what we'd lose if we got rid of the provincial championships...

gimme a minute, I'm still thinking.

Exactly....I'm sure all young Galway hurlers dreamed of winning the Leinster senior championship grown up!!

Surprised at you. You think Michael Quinlivan and Conor Sweeney don't dream of winning a Munster SFC?

It would be like an all Ireland to us but I don't think it's worth keeping if it's holding back the championship as a whole. Unless the very very rare time one of the big teams don't win a provincial they mean very little.

tippabu

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2018, 02:08:08 PM
Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
Well it's about bloody time a thread was started on this.

Four groups of eight with one from each division, yet we hear talk of teams getting hammered being pointless and dead rubbers being a no-go in our sacred game.

Current or previous system for me.

The whole Leinster and munster championships as a whole are dead rubbers. Look at connacht, roscommon giving hidings to leitrim and Galway hammering Sligo.
Indeed. And the solution is?

That's it, you'll never please everyone. Small teams don't want 2nd tier because they want to be in Sam and have the exposure of playing the big teams. The way I put it you still have that but like you say early on there will be exposure for smaller counties against bigger ones and hammerings will be a certainty. I'm not saying I'm right but putting forward what I think is a much better format than we have currently. I'm open to suggestions also.

Esmarelda

Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 02:21:07 PM

Four groups of eight with one from each division, yet we hear talk of teams getting hammered being pointless and dead rubbers being a no-go in our sacred game.

The whole Leinster and munster championships as a whole are dead rubbers. Look at connacht, roscommon giving hidings to leitrim and Galway hammering Sligo.

That's it, you'll never please everyone. Small teams don't want 2nd tier because they want to be in Sam and have the exposure of playing the big teams. The way I put it you still have that but like you say early on there will be exposure for smaller counties against bigger ones and hammerings will be a certainty. I'm not saying I'm right but putting forward what I think is a much better format than we have currently. I'm open to suggestions also.
I appreciate what you're saying, and I wasn't knocking your proposal as such, more the fact that, as you say, every "solution" creates further problems.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2018, 02:38:32 PM

I appreciate what you're saying, and I wasn't knocking your proposal as such, more the fact that, as you say, every "solution" creates further problems.

That's because there's no consensus on what the 'problem' if any, is. Some people want more even games throughout the championship. Some people want more games period. Some people want less. Some people's issue is not with the format, but with the style of play.

The GAA has taken the 'Trial and Error' approach hoping that if they keep tweaking it, they'll eventually end up on a popular format. The problem is there are so many camps that no-one can articulate a popular view of what anyone wants!

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2018, 02:49:24 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2018, 02:38:32 PM

That's because there's no consensus on what the 'problem' if any, is. Some people want more even games throughout the championship. Some people want more games period. Some people want less. Some people's issue is not with the format, but with the style of play.

The GAA has taken the 'Trial and Error' approach hoping that if they keep tweaking it, they'll eventually end up on a popular format. The problem is there are so many camps that no-one can articulate a popular view of what anyone wants!

I think without doubt teams playing other teams on a completely different standard is a problem, you see it here every year, "the league is brilliant", why? Because teams are playing teams of a similar level. Also you want more game, the amount of training the teams do, thing I put up guarantees 4 games and I think that's the very minimum players should get for the amount of work they put in.

AZOffaly

There are others that wouldn't agree that's a problem though. That's my point. you referenced some of them yourself in your post.

tippabu

Which isn't a problem lads training all year and playing 2 games and done or teams playing in a championship where there are vast differences in levels?

For me it's a case of weighing up the positives and negatives and coming up with the best possible solution, some people won't be happy but if it's better than we currently have....I take your point though, I don't think provincial should be linked to all Ireland others do but I find it hard to say it's fair that Kerry and roscommon have two provincial games whereas the team in Ulster preliminary round has 4. I just tried to come up with a fair balanced all inclusive competition format. I'd love to have people pick holes in it and find problems or I could respond how I felt it would work. I'll never have any influence in the gaa so all it is is discussion and interest

Btw sorry to the OP if I'm after hijacking his thread.

TheGreatest

Tiered Championship 16 X 2. 4 groups of 4, no seeding. Shorter summer, played off like a world cup.

AZOffaly

Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 03:45:09 PM
Which isn't a problem lads training all year and playing 2 games and done or teams playing in a championship where there are vast differences in levels?

For me it's a case of weighing up the positives and negatives and coming up with the best possible solution, some people won't be happy but if it's better than we currently have....I take your point though, I don't think provincial should be linked to all Ireland others do but I find it hard to say it's fair that Kerry and roscommon have two provincial games whereas the team in Ulster preliminary round has 4. I just tried to come up with a fair balanced all inclusive competition format. I'd love to have people pick holes in it and find problems or I could respond how I felt it would work. I'll never have any influence in the gaa so all it is is discussion and interest

Btw sorry to the OP if I'm after hijacking his thread.

I don't agree the lads are 'training all year and playing 2 games'. The League is a significant competition now, so I think it's untrue to say that.

What I was referring to is that a lot of people don't see a problem in uneven teams playing in the championship. For me, I like the hurling approach where the Joe McDonagh Cup teams are still eligible to compete in the All Ireland series, while still getting games against their own level.

I also like the Provincial Championships. And while the gloss is gone off for Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry, I know at least 20 counties would LOVE to win a provincial.

sid waddell

You'd lose crowds, for one.

Donegal played Fermanagh in the Ulster final at Clones. It was a full house, as the Ulster final always is.

A few weeks later, Monaghan played Kerry at the same venue. Monaghan knew a win would put them in the All-Ireland semi-finals for the first time since 1988, give them their first championship win over Kerry ever, and eliminate Kerry from the championship. On the face of it, it was an infinitely more attractive fixture than the Ulster final.

Just 17k turned up.

Rossfan

As I said 330k at the Provincials.
Qualifiers - haven't all the official figures but an educated guess of 110k won't be too far out.
Quarter Final series - 216k.
So I think we can take it that the Provincials aren't going anywhere.
My suggestions earlier are based on giving Emlyn Mulligan and his counterparts in many other Counties a realistic chance of playing in a National Championship Final in Croke Park.
Also that teams of reasonably equal standard would play each other in a National Championship  (Maybe we need to remove Dublin altogether - I'm sure Dun Laoghaire -Rathdown would give the Junior a good rattle).
AZ - Are you thinking that the winners of a B or Tier 2 or whatever be let into the race for Sam ? At last 12 stage?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trileacman

The joy of getting to the final that brought joy to so many Fermanagh fans this year, that same joy for Ros winning one last year. Carlows March through Leinster. The Donegal Tyrone derby that was a fixture for the last 8 years or so. The extra interest in competing for 4 extra trophies in a year that carry a world of significance and history with them.

I'm certain Fermanagh fans won't feel the same about the lure of the sky sports Paudi OSe cup as the 130 year odd quest for the Anglo Celt.

For some reason we've all become corporate executives since the Celtic tiger. Footballs in dire straits unless every match is competitive, played in front of a full house, broadcast free to air in Ireland but also around the globe. It's the greatest act of collective amnesia to ever affect the Irish populace, this idea that football was never before in its history ugly, uncompetitive or hard to watch.

The great concern  for so many people about the GAA is seemingly not what it is, not what it means or not what it's doing but it's how it looks on tv.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

The whole format thing etc only really became a problem when matches started being televised, there were umpteen hammerinfgs years ago during what the media call "footballs golden age".

My solution- stop televising hammerings.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Ah Jasus we'll never get on TV so.... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Any new format should be looking at ways to make the league more important and popular as the league is your tiered system already in place. The championship is a cup competition and the last eight should be total knock out football. The round robin system which HQ will be keeping for their extra gate receipts should be used for the qualifiers instead of the last 8 of the championship.