Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

Any more rumours as to who the new manager is going to be?

Who will pick it?

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on August 05, 2008, 01:15:50 PM
Any more rumours as to who the new manager is going to be?

Who will pick it?

Was just home for the weekend and the news i got is depressing. A lad I know was at a wedding attended by the county chairman (Can't remember his name now). He got talking to him about the county job. Well our chairman told him that it would be great if King were to get it since he achieved so much in the past. My friend asks what exactly has he achieved since he quit playing. Chairman says he took the leaguers to junior championship. My buddy leaves depressed that head man in Cavan could come up with such shit. You see, in Killeshandra everyone knows what King is like. He was the biggest problem McHugh had in terms of getting him to train cos King thought he was bigger than Cavan. I believe McHugh told him to do the work or F*ck off. His managerial career has been nothing great. He refused to manage leaguers for years instead taking the money from Belturbet - where he achieved nothing. He applied for Cavan job last 2 times it came up and was refused. He then decided to take on Killeshandra when a couple of decent underage teams started coming through. These Underage teams were brought through from U16 by Junior McKiernan. Last year King said he wouldn't be manager but would help out Junior McKiernan and Tom Downes as senior management team - but as things started going well, suddenly King was manager,prancing around with his Maor bib and doing interviews with the Celt. But ask any player in Killesandra who the brains behind the operation is and they'll tell you Junior McKiernan. King is unable to compile a good team talk, motivate players (his speeches before games almost have the lads laughing), make calls on the line etc. etc. The only people who think the man is a good manager are people who have never worked with him. King in charge would be an unmitigated disaster.

boojangles

I heard the same more or less about Stephen King.No real clue or cuteness along the line but in his defence-My brother was one of the Coaches on the Under 15 development squad(this team will make up our County Minor team next year) 2 years ago along with Stephen King.He said that basically King was only learning and had no clue about Coaching methods but was very eager to learn and was always asking questions.Something which my brother found impressive for a man of his age and standing as a player to b listening to young lads like Nicholas Walsh and my brother.
But if we'r talking about giving him the Senior job I am dead against it.I really dont think there is man in the County who can do the job.

Denn Forever

Crosserlough 0-13 Gowna 0-9

how do ye reckon you will do against them HM?
Heard Declan Gaffney was very good at midfield
didnt hear who played well or poorly for Gowna

Crosserlough were much the better team  The only man on the Gowna team that you would pick was?......you guessed it Dermot McCabe.  He was trying to win it single handed.  Gaffney(or was it the other midfielder?) had a good game with a lot of good highfielding.  But then there wasn't really much opposition.  Gowna played with the wind in the first half but it was obvious that Crosserlough were the better team.  The only thing to br decided was whether Crosserlough could use the wind and they did.  

The forwards for Crosserlough had the beating of their opposite number in all area.  McKiernan I think was taking the frees and he was very good both with and against the wind.  He looks a bit light but it wouldn't be the first time that we carrieda free taker.

Will they go further?  Have the pedigree and looked good but Gowna were not really at the races.  

A question to answer.  Do you think that the Cavan senior champions will go anywhere in the AI club championship?  We talk about who we want to manager the county team but I don't see the county team doing much until one of our clubs do well in the Club AI.  And Antrim who last year had St. Galls in the Club AI final.  They've won the Tommy Murphy cup.  There will be no easy team in next years Ulster Championship!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Hollow Man

Babe Ruth 47

Well Lads, long time lurker, first time poster. Glad to finally see some fairly reasoned debate on Cavan football.

Was really looking forward to the start of the championship after Cavan's demise, there has however been very little to get excited about. Every
single game was of a poor standard with only the Gaels showing glimpses of brilliance. You have to admire their strength and depth, with three county minors all stating on the bench.

Crosserlough have a very lively team and I'm really looking forward to see them play Killygarry. Should be a good open game.

The game between the Gaels and Mullahoran has the potential to be a cracker but I fear the Gaels will destroy them. Only for Paul the Gunner and Eddie they looked very poor against Belturbet. If only Belturbet had given Jason enough ball it could have been a surprise. As far as I remember they only
let in two balls to him in the first half, both of which he won and scored.

The qualifiers look like there is the potential for some great games. Castlerahan and Gowna will be trying to resurrect their year's but I feel
the later are as good as finished. Will be interesting to see Ballinagh playing after their reprieve. They will find it extremely hard to progress
but have a handy enough opening game an a huge incentive.

Hopefully we can see some good football and maybe give some of the good intercounty managers out there the incentive to take an interest in the
Cavan senior team.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on August 06, 2008, 01:06:51 PM
Well Lads, long time lurker, first time poster. Glad to finally see some fairly reasoned debate on Cavan football.

Was really looking forward to the start of the championship after Cavan's demise, there has however been very little to get excited about. Every
single game was of a poor standard with only the Gaels showing glimpses of brilliance. You have to admire their strength and depth, with three county minors all stating on the bench.

Crosserlough have a very lively team and I'm really looking forward to see them play Killygarry. Should be a good open game.

The game between the Gaels and Mullahoran has the potential to be a cracker but I fear the Gaels will destroy them. Only for Paul the Gunner and Eddie they looked very poor against Belturbet. If only Belturbet had given Jason enough ball it could have been a surprise. As far as I remember they only
let in two balls to him in the first half, both of which he won and scored.

The qualifiers look like there is the potential for some great games. Castlerahan and Gowna will be trying to resurrect their year's but I feel
the later are as good as finished. Will be interesting to see Ballinagh playing after their reprieve. They will find it extremely hard to progress
but have a handy enough opening game an a huge incentive.

Hopefully we can see some good football and maybe give some of the good intercounty managers out there the incentive to take an interest in the
Cavan senior team.

Welcome to the board Babe Ruth, Good analysis of Cavan Club Football.
If you were ranking Cavan Club Football in its competitivety in regards to the Ulster Club

id rank the counties by the following

1.Armagh(really Crossmaglen but still an Armagh team wins it so often)
2.Derry(Loup,Bellaghy,Balinderry have all won an Ulster Club)
3.= Antrim(St Galls former All Ireland Club Finalists and Cargin are strong)
3.=Tyrone(strong club scene as well with Errigal,Carrickmore and champions Dromore)
5.=Down(One strong team like Cavan who dominate alot in Mayobridge who frequently flatter to deceive in Ulster although correct me if im wrong,they have reached an Ulster Final)
6.=Fermanagh(the only reason they are here is because of Enniskillen Gaels recent good performances in reaching an Ulster Final,i dont think theres much else of a high quality in the county,certainly Newtownbutler werent very strong last year
6.Cavan(One team Cavan Gaels have dominated with an odd Mullahoran win here or there, Neither have made any impact on the Ulster Club.
7.Monaghan(Clontibret and Blaney can always put up a challenge,But neither along with other winners,Latton and Mageracloone have really challenged for an Ulster Club recently that is.)
8.Donegal(For some reason their teams dont do well in the Ulster Club,St Eunans seem to win most years,but most other teams including the Gaels can handle them easily in the UC.

Hollow Man

What's your criteria for ranking Cavan ahead of Monaghan?

No Cavan club has ever won the Ulster club, while a Scotstown won it a few times and reached an All Ireland club final and Blayney I think either won it or reached the Ulster final.

Also, their champions Clontibret have lost by a point to Cross maglen two years in a row. Much better track record than Cavan, unfortunately.

Good post Babe Ruth, welcome to the board. Keep posting sense and you'll be very welcome!

Hollow Man

Now that I think of it, Inniskeen won the Ulster and All Ireland intermediate two years ago and MOnaghan Harpd won the Ulster junior the same year - they are light years ahead of us!

All we have to cling to is Drumgoon a few years ago and Ballinagh, who were a senior team in an intermediate competition. In all fairness, they were Division One league champions and only that they slipped up so many times in the championship they wouldn't have won it.

In saying that, they were very impressive. Remember how they scrped by Monaghan's Tyholland, a real intermediate side...

On a side note, Monaghan football is so far ahead of us it's not funny anymore. Leaving aside senior level, they have reached two McRory finals, an Ulster Under 21 final and a Ulster minor final in the last four years, and only lost them all narrowly.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 06, 2008, 04:12:07 PM
What's your criteria for ranking Cavan ahead of Monaghan?

No Cavan club has ever won the Ulster club, while a Scotstown won it a few times and reached an All Ireland club final and Blayney I think either won it or reached the Ulster final.

Also, their champions Clontibret have lost by a point to Cross maglen two years in a row. Much better track record than Cavan, unfortunately.

Good post Babe Ruth, welcome to the board. Keep posting sense and you'll be very welcome!

I was only going over the Ulster Senior Club championship Hollowman

id put Cavan Senior club football ahead of Monaghan over the last 5 years or so because
the Gaels have beaten Magheracloone, Latton and Clontibret, all Monaghan Champions,in the Ulster Club, Gaels have also lost to Cross by only a few points a few years ago in Enniskillen,although they have taken bad beatens by Ballinderry and Galls. I dont know enough of Monaghan Intermediate and Junior championships to compare them to ours.
Overall though as you say Monaghan Football at underage,College,Under 21 is streets ahead of us.

Also a question re Drumgoon, Their Junior All Ireland win wasnt the same competition, of nowadays, I think all games were hosted by a Monaghan team(Cremartin??)
a great acheivement no doubt though.

Hollow Man

Alright, I just thought when you said Ulster club that you meant that and not Ulster senior club.

Good point about the Gaels beating Latton and Magheracloone. When did they beat Clontibret? I don't think they did, although I am open to correction on that.

Also, Latton and Magheracloone had both won their first ever Monaghan SFC's, whereas the Gaels were very experienced. I can imagine the sessions in the fortnight leading up to the Ulster club!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 06, 2008, 05:56:29 PM
Alright, I just thought when you said Ulster club that you meant that and not Ulster senior club.

Good point about the Gaels beating Latton and Magheracloone. When did they beat Clontibret? I don't think they did, although I am open to correction on that.

Also, Latton and Magheracloone had both won their first ever Monaghan SFC's, whereas the Gaels were very experienced. I can imagine the sessions in the fortnight leading up to the Ulster club!

sorry it was actually Gowna that beat Clontibret not the Gaels in 2002 i think it was. my mistake

Hollow Man

??? ???

Also, where is Boojangles?

boojangles

Quote from: Hollow Man on August 06, 2008, 07:11:34 PM
??? ???

Also, where is Boojangles?

Here.Why???

Hollow was getting worried about ya, thought you were pulling bit of a huff after what Anglo39 said.But obviously I was wrong.
Welcome Babe Ruth.The more the merrier on here.Agree totally about what you say about the Mullahoran-Gaels tie.While I would have a certain affection for Mullahoran I really think the Gaels could do serious damage.Mullahorans back-line is very very weak,and while they probably deserved their win against Belturbet thanks to the brilliance of Paul the Gunner,I cant see them getting away with such defending against the Gaels.Norbert Smith has quit.Ciaran Shields is in America and Dan Mel Reilly is struggling to make it.3 big losses for any club.
Lacken were really up for their 1st round tie against the Gaels and had been training very well all year yet the Gaels never really had to get into 5th gear.(Lacken Legend dont get offended now)
Id b very suprised if the Gaels dont make it 6 titles since 2001.