Biggest shit hole in Ireland

Started by Hollow Man, July 26, 2007, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

it has to be paisley's wife...you ever see the size of her ass?  :-[

Canalman

While not really a SH, the village of Newtownmountkennedy in Wicklow is a bit of an eyesore. The rest of the County is lovely though.
Always found Aughnacloy very grim, never ever seems to be anyone on the street when I drive through.

Balboa

Quote from: Donagh on July 28, 2007, 12:26:08 AM
Was only ever in very Ballymena the once after I got on the wrong train from Lisburn to Coleraine and had to kill three hours in the place. Walked around the town for a while and it seemed, em, ..., very Presbyterian (in a good way), all neat and tidy, loads of the Prod equivalent of the Legion of Mary bookshops all over the place. not a shit-hole as such, more a surreal Stepford Wives thing going on.

I have spent a fair bit of time in Ballymena and it isnt the knid of place you want to be after dark if you are a catholic, its a bad bad hole.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Donagh on July 27, 2007, 11:55:20 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on July 27, 2007, 11:49:34 PM
OK, having gone to school in Granard for five years, I suppose I have to defend it a bit.

Forgot about Granard - add that to my list.  :)

Is there a cause and effect thing going on there, Donagh?  :P
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

oakleaf stateside

has to be draperstown wat a shithole full of hardmen and dickheads. nice chinese tho :P :P
Dont Do It

el_cuervo_fc

The Bottom Brick

Quotemullahoran

Hang on now. You can't seriously mention this place on a thread for biggest shithole in the country. It's only a rural prish with two tiny villages/hamlets, a handball alley and a GAA pitch. Like hundreds around the country.

A bit dull, fair enough, but Bundoran it is not!!!
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

shotstopper1

Quote from: North Longford on July 27, 2007, 01:09:20 PM
Always wonder where the Longford town is a shithole thing comes from.
Living about half way between Cavan Town and Longford Town my youth was spent about 50 50 between the 2 and I always found very little difference between them.
Then having been ensnared by a good lady from Cavan town and spending a lot of time there including having inlaws in the bartrade I discovered that there were an inordinate amount of scumbags around Cavan town dangerous scumbags for that matter.   That being said there are plenty of scumbags around Longford but i would honestly prefer to walk around Longford on my own late at night than Cavan...from knowing what I do.
Sumarasing then there aint much difference between them...........now granard.....thats a totally different kettle of fish but then Killeshandra doesn't do a whole lot for me either!

Too true North Longford,being from the Cavan Town surrounds myself I have to say you've hit the nail on the head.Cavan Town is full of dangerous scumbags who appear out late at night.You walk the streets at your peril.If anyone wants to dispute this all I can say is take a walk from the catherdral to breffni park late any night and you'll see them peeking out round corners all in groups together eyeing up their next target.Or alternatively head to a chipper(or even on the streets) after the Farnham or Imperial at the weekend there's no end of scumbags trying to rise rows or throw false punches just for the hell of it.Cavan may be one of the cleanest towns in the country,but it probably is one of the towns with the highest number of scumbags.

Oh by the way biggest kip in Ireland   Granard!!!!!!!!

mooncatiii

Quote from: GweylTah on July 29, 2007, 02:23:53 PM
I still haven't convinced you all it is Ardboe?  Go and see for yourselves and get back to me.

try tellin this to a fella called Rory Lavery!  if u live to tell the tale fair play to ya
shazam

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2007, 02:14:12 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 27, 2007, 11:22:39 PM
In no particular order:

Larne
Portadown
Lurgan
Newtownards
Newtownabbey
Carrickfergus
Dundalk
Craigavon (is it a place though?)
Downpatrick
Newry
Longford
Castlebar
Tullamore
Portlaoise
Letterkenny
Tralee
Nass
Omagh
Portrush

How is Castlebar any worse than Ballina? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Some of the people in the town would spit at you. Then again there are lots of decent people in the town as well.

For the life of me I can't understand how Castlebar is on this list, it has to be one of the fastest developing towns in the Country, with one of the highest levels of Private Investment Infrastructure. Its kept to a relatively high standard for a town of its size (ie it can't expect to win tidy towns as often as a the likes of the Gem of Mayo Westport which is at most a quarter of Castlebars size). Castlebar is one of the most prominant shopping towns in Connacht, its has one of the best nightlifes in Connacht outside of Galway City(which is in a league of its own). Castlebar is also one of the major entertainment venues West of the Shannon.

There is no way Castlebar should be on this list.

his holiness nb

I have to say Fishead, I went to Castlebar for the Dublin league game and found it not to be a very nice place at all.
Biggest shithole in the country it is not, but not a nice place in my personal experience.
If it makes you feel any better my homw town was selected too  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

loughshore lad

Quote from: GweylTah on July 29, 2007, 02:23:53 PM
I still haven't convinced you all it is Ardboe?  Go and see for yourselves and get back to me.

Where are you from, why dont you tell us so we can pass judgement just like you have on Ardboe?

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 30, 2007, 12:26:35 PM
I have to say Fishead, I went to Castlebar for the Dublin league game and found it not to be a very nice place at all.
Biggest shithole in the country it is not, but not a nice place in my personal experience.
If it makes you feel any better my homw town was selected too  :-\

I just wonder how much of it you saw? I acknowledge alot of towns mentioned might have been judged by people who only made a passing visit, I know loads of Castlebar people who reckon Dublin is a kip, because they only know O'Connell St. Dorset St. & Ballymun, now it may stil be a kip or not but thats not a great reason for judging Dublin so, thats just an example. Anyone I know that has spent time in Castlebar tend to think its a great town. I noticed women seem to like the town, because its a good shopping town. Castlebars major problem if it has one, is that its spread out all over the place & if you go to one part of the town you might never realise other parts are there @ all. Also when you talking about Mayo towns, based on attractivness I really only think Westport can push Castlebar into the shade(Im talking about proper size towns now, not villages) and when it comes to facilities & shops, no town in Mayo is within 100 country miles of it. This is going to sound very bad, but who cares, Castlebar people doesn't have many what the Dubs would call scobies on our streets, unlike some other unmentioned towns in the County & Province, I admit there are a few at night but I reckon they an element that arrive on buses from outlying areas also unmentioned.

his holiness nb

Regarding how much I saw, well it was just a weekend, but enough for me to not like it.
Just think its not a nice looking town at all, but I will say again, not by any means the biggest shithole in Ireland.

Ask me holy bollix

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 30, 2007, 12:56:18 PM
Regarding how much I saw, well it was just a weekend, but enough for me to not like it.
Just think its not a nice looking town at all, but I will say again, not by any means the biggest shithole in Ireland.

Well if you where looking for Architecture you should try Westport, Galway, or Kilkenny, if you looking for well kept, good craic, shopping & plenty of sports facilities you got Castlebar. The other 3 towns have at least the first two as well, but it seems Kilkenny has commited tourism suicide, by having all bars & clubs to stop seving by 1.30, I came across this with friends in Belfast & it has resulted in us all warning others not to go to Belfast (despite being good craic) because of the early serving hours, I fear for Kilkenny that it will be very sorry.