Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 18, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 18, 2018, 03:03:51 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 18, 2018, 02:50:02 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 18, 2018, 01:14:12 PM
What about not allowing the vice captain to captain the team when Dara was out? A disgrace and a serious insult to Ciaran Brady, a lad who lives for Cavan football.

Mattie should go lads. We're a shadow of the 2016 side both in terms of personnel and performances.

We didn't do well in the championship under Terry but we never went out as meekly as we did last Sunday.

There a reason why he wasn't captain.

Is that a question or statement?

Sorry should have read there is a reason why he was not captain.

Send me a pm if you can't say on here

cavanmaniac

The statistics I've seen from Paul Fitzpatrick regarding player turnover are pretty stark. I think we were all aware of a fair amount of personnel churn but that really is jaw-dropping and some of those names there would be a massive boost to the team.

Hard to know, in a way, what to say about our senior team performance at the minute. We exceeded expectations by getting to Division 1 and felt maybe McGleenan was getting his act together, coupled with some ok displays in Division 1 the year before. On the positive side, the players he had there in the league were really pulling for him and the jersey and things looked to be progressing, albeit with significant flaws. But the nature of the loss in the final to Roscommon seems to have revealed those flaws to be deep structural fissures and the whole thing crumbled embarrassingly against Donegal. I didn't expect us to win there but the nature of the display was fairly indicative of both schoolboy type management and perhaps a lack of the player drive and spirit that was there in the spring - have the wheels come off entirely since the league final?

Anything less than a significant renaissance in the qualifiers and I honestly think Mattie should go. I'm never one for knee-jerk/manager merry-go-round stuff but going into Division 1 under the current setup, with no championship 'bounce' behind us, quite simply we'd be slaughtered and it might be better to have another man there in advance of that. Who that might be would be anybody's guess.

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on May 20, 2018, 11:59:57 PM
The statistics I've seen from Paul Fitzpatrick regarding player turnover are pretty stark. I think we were all aware of a fair amount of personnel churn but that really is jaw-dropping and some of those names there would be a massive boost to the team.

Hard to know, in a way, what to say about our senior team performance at the minute. We exceeded expectations by getting to Division 1 and felt maybe McGleenan was getting his act together, coupled with some ok displays in Division 1 the year before. On the positive side, the players he had there in the league were really pulling for him and the jersey and things looked to be progressing, albeit with significant flaws. But the nature of the loss in the final to Roscommon seems to have revealed those flaws to be deep structural fissures and the whole thing crumbled embarrassingly against Donegal. I didn't expect us to win there but the nature of the display was fairly indicative of both schoolboy type management and perhaps a lack of the player drive and spirit that was there in the spring - have the wheels come off entirely since the league final?

Anything less than a significant renaissance in the qualifiers and I honestly think Mattie should go. I'm never one for knee-jerk/manager merry-go-round stuff but going into Division 1 under the current setup, with no championship 'bounce' behind us, quite simply we'd be slaughtered and it might be better to have another man there in advance of that. Who that might be would be anybody's guess.

Personally I think we need a manager with a connection to those u21 players, the best of them need to be coaxed back into the panel. There are a few men that stick out for me and that is Peter Reilly, Ronan Carolan and Terry Hyland. Now we can rule Terry out I am sure as he has been there. I think Peter and Ronan together would be a step in the right direction and maybe try and get access to a progressive forwards coach from somewhere.

The alternative is to try and land a high profile external manager that would energise guys. Like when Paidi went to Westmeath etc. But the last time we tried to get a new manager when the dust settled we were left with Mattie vrs Banty. So we are not attracting big names. The only one I think that might be interested is Pete McGrath but things haven't been going so well for him lately.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment on Mattie. He has done very well in some ways with what he has at his disposal but I do think he has some massive gaps as a tactician. No point getting rid until we are sure there is someone better we can get in.

caprea

Anyone know why they are 16s for ulster. Seems big. Anyone with any insight? Any view on the price?

mrdeeds

It's curtain raiser to a senior game.

caprea

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 21, 2018, 09:54:27 PM
It's curtain raiser to a senior game.

Thanks but no exactly the insight I was hoping for.  :)

Itchy

No idea but maybe they in the preliminary? Also Donegal suppose to be taking it very serious. Cavan should have a decent team with last year's minors.

caprea

Quote from: Itchy on May 21, 2018, 10:12:26 PM
No idea but maybe they in the preliminary? Also Donegal suppose to be taking it very serious. Cavan should have a decent team with last year's minors.

Yeah prelim, Boyle's have them at 25s. Pricing it up as a Tyrone donegal 2 horse race

cavanmaniac

I don't know much about Peter Reilly except he was probably a bit unlucky with the 21s those years, and that the style he had the team playing was a bit defensive. Is that his hallmark tactic, or was it horses for courses due the personnel available I wonder?

But while we could definitely do with a stiffer spine and some tactical nouse I'd hate us to go back to an outright defensive style.  One thing is certain though, if we flop abysmally in the qualifiers - with Mattie bizarrely passing the torch/baton/buck to Dara McVeety in an interview I heard (wtf?) - then something should be done both to probe the player falloff issue as suggested by the Celt man, and probably with management too, because we have some more good young blood bubbling up and let's do something structurally/pre-emptive to prevent it ebbing away as well.

Itchy

Shocking hammering for the u20s today. Lots of good players on that team, I wouldn't expect us to take a beating like that.

scoopmine

Wicklow away hopefully not a repeat of 2010 a wet horrible day in our history...

cavanmaniac

You couldn't afford to be confident after the Donegal effort but you'd have to think we'll win this surely. All about the manner of the performance though. If there's no reaction to Ballybofey then that's very ominous.

Itchy

I dont think Wicklow in Aughrim will be simple. Hopefully we go into it with the right attitude and not the sluggish rubbish we produced last year against a poor Offaly team.

scoopmine

Panel not speaking to Cavan media after what was reported in the Celt. Be great if it galvanized the squad into a run.

Jbm

Who makes that decision to not speak to media? All it has done is brought more attention to the player. A bit childish.