Best Local GAA Papers In Your County

Started by OakLeaf, November 15, 2006, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: OakLeaf on November 16, 2006, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 16, 2006, 11:28:05 AM
The Newtownards Chronical has a full colour suppliment on the hurling and football every thursday. The Camogie gets a great write up in the Newtownards Spectator as well.

::)

You are taking the Mick, right? I wouldn't have taken Newtownards for being a hotbed of GAA.

The only GAA hotbeds they like to see in Newtownards is the club houses burned to the ground.

westmayo

I'd have to say the Mayo News is probably the best  around here, The Western is also pretty good. But the Mayo on a whole looks alot better and I always enjoy McStay's column. As for the Connacht its average but when it's poor it's very poor. But I remeber being told that about twenty years ago or so the sports editor left out the picture of the Mayo team from a match report becuase they didn't deserve to be put in because they played so bad, if thats true it took some balls by him. As for the new paper the Advertiser it's pretty weak really and only gives the bear minimum of coverage

winghalfun

The Ulster Herald is crap.
The carve up club notes so tight that there is barely room for your lotto numbers never mind any detailed match coverage.

snappiered

The teamtalk magazine in Tyrone is a class publication from the Curran brothers. Its very well done and very informative publised by true GAA people.

ExiledGael

In Fermanagh you have the two newspapers, one traditionally Protestant and the other Catholic. The traditional Catholic paper, the Fermanagh Herald have really let their standard slip, names photos even teams have been mixed up constantly, but still everyone will by in for tradition alone, and the club notes section - could do much more though. Colm Bradley has a column there now but it's not up to much at all.
Impartial Reporter has improved dramatically, particularly it seems since the success of 2004. Photos are excellent and previews etc a much better read despite Protestant background.

Redgreenery

In Mayo I'd say The Mayo News is the best.

In Roscommon the one to get is The Roscommon Champion.

Roseyland

Westmeath Examiner and Topic in the East side and the Westmeath Examiner and Athlone Voice for the West. Athlone Voice gets my vote for local Gaa, All championship games in Senior and Intermediate get full coverage and some of the more local Junior games get decent coverage.

Uladh

joe mcmanus is singularly the worst reporter around. same article every time, just swap the relevent names. further, his "most influential players" are predetermined for every game.

writes joe mcmanus...

Spiritof98

Couldn't agree more there Uladh, kisses the ass of every cross man that gets near the team and has hardly ever questioned any of JK decisions. Also builds up a lot of young lads just to have a pop at them at county level.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

cavanmaniac

Everyone else beat me to it as regards the Celt. Dreadful doesn't do it justice. I do have to laugh when I see the various references to young Gaffney though.

Local radio's Michael Tynan (Northern Sound) as commentator drives me demented. In the middle of a game he's yabbering about the full-back's great grandfather's first cousin's uncle who won a pie-eating contest in West Cork at 5.25 in July 1946, instead of bothering with mere incidentals like telling you the score! But sure it's all part of the local colour, eh? :P

Fionntamhnach

To continue what I said earlier, I do agree about the notes in the Ulster Herald - as a former PRO it was a pain in the arse trying to keep everything you wanted to say short enough for them, sometimes not appear at all even though you get them in before the deadline, other times important stuff missed out. The Dungannon Observer will print whatever you throw at them, pictures and all which is better. I always told our clubmen to read the Observer to read the "full" notes and the Herald for the "highlights".

Groot Baas

Mayo lads, a slight deviation from the thread, but do you remember Willy "The Shoe" on MW Radio. The reception on the car stereo used always go around Mullingar. Many a Sunday on the way back to Dublin I'd pull over on the hard shoulder to listen before I lost reception. May he rest in peace.

stephenite

How could anyone forget the Shoe, a true character and gentleman.'

What about the answer to that rugby question groot ?

john mcgill

The two Armagh city papers are poor on their coverage of GAA. I have read the Impartial Reporter in Enniskillen and the Donegal Democrat and their coverage features analysis, prediction and actual reporting.  But then again I could be accused of faraway fields.........

The Bottom Brick

Whatever happened to the Game? Or the Gaelic Game in it's second incarnation?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!