Mistakes that cost games:

Started by oneillcup2007, November 15, 2006, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Uladh
You might be a good man for the videos but you know nothing about Gaelic football.Bill Mc Corry didn't make a mistake - he tried his best and was unlucky.He had the balls to take the penalty and any player will tell you that you don't blame a man when he gives his all. I've lost an AI final in similar circumstances and it's a team thing.
A mistake is what that useless ignoramus of an Ulster President made in 1986. Pangurban is talking shite-the balll wasn't nearly over the line-I have that from the Horse's mouth.And as for 2003 UF....

ONeill

I watched that Armagh/Tyrone semi from the best vantage point in Croker. Three times in the opening 7 minutes Cavanagh made an eejit out of McGeeney. The first was at the throw in. Cavanagh caught it, ran at Geezer, flicked it over his head and was fouled. Then he forced Geezer into a rash challenge which set up Mellon's goal chance. The definitive moment was around 7 mins. Gormley fed Cavangh from a free. Sean looked up, saw Geezer, side-stepped him with ultimate ease leaving Geezer grasping at thin air, and stuck it over the bar from distance. And that as before the game really got started!

To be fair to Geezer, he scored a monstrous point late in injury time in the first half that took the wind out of Tyrone's sails. In the second half, after Ricey's point, Sean fielded the ball, took the return and ghosted past a disconsolate McGeeney, who uncharacteristically declined to even make contact. O'Neill stuck it over. Geezers next play was to foul Sean for another free on the 14.  It was then that Kernan decided to make the only call he could.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2006, 01:19:43 PM
Refereeing mistake:

2003 All Ireland semi final - the referee's inexplicable failure to send off John McEntee for his forearm smash on Barry Monaghan with less than ten minutes to go, the game on a knife edge and the ref standing a couple of feet away. McEntee contributed to Armagh's two injury-time scores that won the game. In the same match, Ray Sweeney was sent off early in the second half, while Kieran McGeeney stayed on despite persistant fouling.

Don't worry J70 - the persistant fouling was well highlighted in the post match analysis, to the extent that at the handshake in Armagh's next match, the first words by Brian to Geezer were, "You watch the fouling'. It seemed to play on Brian's mind in the first half of that game!  >:(

J70

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 18, 2006, 12:39:19 AM
Refereeing mistake:

2003 All Ireland semi final - the referee's inexplicable failure to send off John McEntee for his forearm smash on Barry Monaghan with less than ten minutes to go, the game on a knife edge and the ref standing a couple of feet away. McEntee contributed to Armagh's two injury-time scores that won the game. In the same match, Ray Sweeney was sent off early in the second half, while Kieran McGeeney stayed on despite persistant fouling.

Don't worry J70 - the persistant fouling was well highlighted in the post match analysis, to the extent that at the handshake in Armagh's next match, the first words by Brian to Geezer were, "You watch the fouling'. It seemed to play on Brian's mind in the first half of that game!  >:(

You have me at a bit of a loss here: I don't remember the details of Brian McGuigan's performance against McGeeney in the final!

Or are we talking about some other "Brian"?  Did Brian White ref the final? ???

Uladh

Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2006, 12:03:11 AM
I watched that Armagh/Tyrone semi from the best vantage point in Croker. Three times in the opening 7 minutes Cavanagh made an eejit out of McGeeney. The first was at the throw in. Cavanagh caught it, ran at Geezer, flicked it over his head and was fouled. Then he forced Geezer into a rash challenge which set up Mellon's goal chance. The definitive moment was around 7 mins. Gormley fed Cavangh from a free. Sean looked up, saw Geezer, side-stepped him with ultimate ease leaving Geezer grasping at thin air, and stuck it over the bar from distance. And that as before the game really got started!

To be fair to Geezer, he scored a monstrous point late in injury time in the first half that took the wind out of Tyrone's sails. In the second half, after Ricey's point, Sean fielded the ball, took the return and ghosted past a disconsolate McGeeney, who uncharacteristically declined to even make contact. O'Neill stuck it over. Geezers next play was to foul Sean for another free on the 14. It was then that Kernan decided to make the only call he could.

Nice stories O'Neill, probably copied from hogan stand as usual. i'm not going to get into football specifics with someone who won't understand them but suffice to say there was only once while mcgeeeny was on the pitch that cavanagh was forced to go down the centre and mcgeeney actually fouled him outside shooting range. It's well known (amongst those who look for these things) that cavanagh breaks down the wings 9 times out of 10. if mcgeeney was actually the shadow of himself you claim, big sean should have had more balls and ran at him more often and tyrone could have won the game easily.

If you ask some of your more learned colleagues, thay will fill you in on the (not so) big secret that actually won the match for tyrone. they isolated a certain armagh wing back and mcginley & cavanagh poured down his wing from start to finish.

Cavanagh is extensively quoted from after the match saying that couldn't believe it when he saw mcgeeney being called off and he told himself this was his chance to attack. he also claimed that final 10 minutes after mcgeeney went off was his best in a tyrone jersey. coincidence?

Dubh driocht  - blanketattack asked about penalties missed, i simply mentioned one. having known the man personally, i don't for one minute believe that bill mccorry cost armagh that final any more than one mistake ever specifically cost any team any match. and yes, i have a video of the 53 final.

neilthemac

Fahy clearly picked the ball off the ground in front of his own goal in 1998, in Tuam, in the last minute of the Ros vs Galway Connacht Final... just as that bollox Seamus Prior had another bout of the famous 'temporary blindness' which seemed to inflict him so often

Uladh

Just on that.... who ever though it was a good idea to let seamus prior referee intercounty matches?

Jays it was bad enough to have inflicted him on the club footballlers of leitrim.

maybe it was for comedy value, considering he looks like a cast member from the muppets christmas carol?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: J70 on November 18, 2006, 12:51:23 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 18, 2006, 12:39:19 AM
Refereeing mistake:

You have me at a bit of a loss here: I don't remember the details of Brian McGuigan's performance against McGeeney in the final!

Or are we talking about some other "Brian"?  Did Brian White ref the final? ???

Never thought of Brian McGuigan - you're correct - I'm referring to Brain White!

ONeill

Starting to feel sorry for you, Uladh. Seriously. I'll not go down your path of insults (inferiority complex?), just to say I never stated McGeeney's substitution was a mistake. I was highlighting why he was substituted. Secondly your rather comical reason for Tyrone winning is too far off the mark. Armagh, for the first time in three matches, were definitely the better team. They had weathered Tyrone and were pulling away. They actually led by 2 with 6 mins left. Several individual errors cost Armagh in a period of five minutes.

Uladh

You make my argument for me by not disagreeing with anything i say.

"I was highlighting why he was substituted."

apart from those living on the continent of africa, there are very few people less likely to know the reason why mcgeeney was substituted, than you...

the green man

Mayobridge coming out for the 1st half v ballinderry

ONeill

No, I think we should stick to Uladh's theory. Tyrone won as McGinley 'poured' up and down the field, from start to finish....even though he was substituted at half time!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2006, 09:52:42 PM
Seriously, were you not loved as a child? Why feel inferior? OK, if I say you're not that dim, will you feel better?
So once again shane loses an argument and gets personal, he'll be correcting spelling next.  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Good man Pint. Checking in when the battle's o'er.......

Uladh

Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2006, 10:21:15 PM
Good man Pint. Checking in when the battle's o'er.......

sure someone has to patch you up and dress your wounds in time for the nest all ireland ploughing contest thread...