Mediocre teams coming good

Started by omagh_gael, March 18, 2013, 08:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

The meteoric rise of St Pauls to the MacRory cup final today got me thinking about other lesser known/mediocre teams who have achieved great things from humble beginnings.

Some of the teams that spring to mind are a Michael Murphy inspired St Eunan's team who had a couple of years near the top of the MacRory. Likewise, the St Louis, Kilkeel team who were propelled by the Marty Clarke and James Colgan axis.

Closer to home, we had our own one man show with Peter the great running the show in 1995. From my own direct experience, the underage Omagh teams I played on were driven by Joe and Justin McMahon.

theticklemister

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 18, 2013, 08:48:48 PM
The meteoric rise of St Pauls to the MacRory cup final today got me thinking about other lesser known/mediocre teams who have achieved great things from humble beginnings.

Some of the teams that spring to mind are a Michael Murphy inspired St Eunan's team who had a couple of years near the top of the MacRory. Likewise, the St Louis, Kilkeel team who were propelled by the Marty Clarke and James Colgan axis.

Closer to home, we had our own one man show with Peter the great running the show in 1995. From my own direct experience, the underage Omagh teams I played on were driven by Joe and Justin McMahon.

Westmeath- NFL-Divison 2- 2013

ONeill

Derrytresk last year. Bottom of division three one year, All-Ireland final the next.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Athenry won their first county hurling title in 1987 and within 15 years or so had 3 all Irelands .
And are now back to mediocrity.

bennydorano

How Down got to an AIF a couple of few years back is a mystery,  there's always a suprise packet that reaches the quarters & on ocassion the semi, but the stars aligned for Down that year.

thewobbler

Quote from: bennydorano on March 18, 2013, 09:34:16 PM
How Down got to an AIF a couple of few years back is a mystery,  there's always a suprise packet that reaches the quarters & on ocassion the semi, but the stars aligned for Down that year.
Stars aligned, perhaps. 

Then again, if you keep ending up there or thereabouts in terms of underage titles for a decade, the argument could be that the stars should have aligned more often.

imtommygunn

While parts of that team were mediocre there was nothing mediocre about that forward line who when they clicked were as good as any about.

ziggysego

Fermanagh got to an All-Ireland Semi-Final (2006?), despite never winning Ulster.
Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

Down 1991. I vividly recall leaving the Marshes after they struggled to beat a mediocre Armagh team saying to myselfthat even the pick of the two of them would win nothing. Even allowing for the terrible weather that day they were both brutal.  The rest is history of course.

omagh_gael

omagh_gael

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 18, 2013, 10:17:23 PM
Down 1991. I vividly recall leaving the Marshes after they struggled to beat a mediocre Armagh team saying to myselfthat even the pick of the two of them would win nothing. Even allowing for the terrible weather that day they were both brutal.  The rest is history of course.

When you mention the Marshes our replay game versus Down also springs to mind in 2008.

bennydorano

If jim mcconville hadn't fell over himself history could have been very different!

ranch

Shane O'Neill's from Camlough came 4th or 5th in Armagh division 4 in 2007.

In 2008 they won division 4, just avoided relegation from division 3 in 2009 but won the Junior championship, won division 3 in 2010 and then division 2 in 2012. Now preparing for life in division one this season.
They've had a great underage system over the past 10-15 years and it's really come to fruition for them, even winning the Minor championship in 2010.

Also, the rise of St. Paul's really has been meteoric. They only fielded their first team at post 16 level in 2007/08 at Markey Cup level, reaching the semi finals (losing by a goal to Castlewellan who went on to win back to back AI's).
The following year they left the Vocational set up and entered Colleges football and have went from strength to strength. It makes you think how other schools such as Ballygawley and Holy Trinity would do at College level, surely they'd be strong challengers for the MacLarnon at the very least??

Aristo 60

Donegal 2010 - 2012 was very mediocre team turned good. 

During Down's 2010 season I think a lot of good came from the Sligo game in Breffni. I know Sligo had the 6 day turn around to contend with but Down haven't flicked aside any team so easily either in a number of years before then or ever since and it seemed to spur them on considerably agin Kerry.

snoopdog

Quote from: bennydorano on March 18, 2013, 10:38:43 PM
If jim mcconville hadn't fell over himself history could have been very different!
That 91 down side were far from Mediocre.  Yes i agree that was a dreadful wet day in Newry and no one saw an All Ireland coming  after beating a terrible Armagh side but we more than had the quality to compete. How different History could have been had down not won that All Ireland. I dont think Derry and Donegal would have had the lift to go on and win their first titles if Down hadnt shown the way.