The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2021, 03:39:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2021, 02:57:59 PM
That is incredible.
In the 50s even in Crossmaglen Nationalists would concede that NI was better than the South because of social supports.
Now the South is far wealthier.

I think wages were always at least as high in the south, but there few no jobs and fewer socials support (since the taxation on the few jobs couldn't support them).
Now even I would not remember the 1950s, but in 1970 (say) you had social supports in NI that have gone backwards in the meantime. For instance, when I was a child we looked after an aged relative who lived nearby. She had a rota of home helps coming in and out, district nurse to call by etc. Nowadays it is hard to get those services in NI and you probably have as good a chance in the 26 counties.

Care workers in the homes have diminished in the north?

I regularly see them in my area with the elderly ones, by the same token I know ones that refuse them. I think if you want home help and fit the criteria then its available.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2021, 03:39:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2021, 02:57:59 PM
That is incredible.
In the 50s even in Crossmaglen Nationalists would concede that NI was better than the South because of social supports.
Now the South is far wealthier.

I think wages were always at least as high in the south, but there few no jobs and fewer socials support (since the taxation on the few jobs couldn't support them).
Now even I would not remember the 1950s, but in 1970 (say) you had social supports in NI that have gone backwards in the meantime. For instance, when I was a child we looked after an aged relative who lived nearby. She had a rota of home helps coming in and out, district nurse to call by etc. Nowadays it is hard to get those services in NI and you probably have as good a chance in the 26 counties.

Care packages exist in the north ok.

Care workers do home visits 3 to 4 times a day, 365 days in the year.

Getting a home GP visit is a thing of the past though.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on April 13, 2021, 08:50:22 AM

These things do exist, of course. But as friend of mine who was a social worker suggested that they were harder to get than years ago, perhaps because there are more old people. The basic point is that years ago these services were clearly superior in the 6 counties whereas nowadays there mightn't be much difference.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tiempo

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2021, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 13, 2021, 08:50:22 AM

These things do exist, of course. But as friend of mine who was a social worker suggested that they were harder to get than years ago, perhaps because there are more old people. The basic point is that years ago these services were clearly superior in the 6 counties whereas nowadays there mightn't be much difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IobNcpiwpSc

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Why is any of this on the SDLP thread?

Armagh18

I see Eastwood calling for vaccine certs for hospitality......

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 23, 2021, 04:51:29 PM

Yes, much like in the South, pressure needs put on anti-vaxers to do their bit for society . They can get all hysterical on social media, but this needs to be done. Anyone with freedom and civil liberty issues can holiday in Solamia / Syria for a month to see what freedom / civil liberties, or lack of actually is. 

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 23, 2021, 04:51:29 PM

I'd agree with him on that.

Yes, you can chose not to get the vaccine as is your right but then don't gurn when you're required not to enter a private establishment due to the very decision you've made.

It's unfair on staff and other patrons.

Dire Ear

Why is it unfair, is it true that both vaccinated and unvaccinated can pass it on and carry it?
Genuinely asking

armaghniac

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2021, 01:44:23 PM
Why is it unfair, is it true that both vaccinated and unvaccinated can pass it on and carry it?
Genuinely asking

People driving sober and with a skinful of pints can both still crash into you, but the probability of the second doing it is higher than the first.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Redhand Santa

Another key point is that if the unvaccinated person gets covid they're much more likely to require hospital treatment. And given the pressures on health service it makes sense to try to reduce the spread of covid in these people.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 25, 2021, 02:31:48 PM
Another key point is that if the unvaccinated person gets covid they're much more likely to require hospital treatment. And given the pressures on health service it makes sense to try to reduce the spread of covid in these people.
I understand that, no problem,  but it's the pressure on care home workers, teachers etc, I don't get

JoG2

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2021, 03:04:42 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on September 25, 2021, 02:31:48 PM
I understand that, no problem,  but it's the pressure on care home workers, teachers etc, I don't get

What about the pressure on the health service? Anti-vaxers were absolute idiots before Covid struck, they continue to be idiots now, there's just more of them. Its all about 'me' with them, selfish in the extreme.

Dire Ear

The run down of the NHS is a separate issue, but I'm simply asking why are people being pressured into getting the vaccine if everyone can still pass/carry it???

JoG2

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2021, 03:38:23 PM
The run down of the NHS is a separate issue, but I'm simply asking why are people being pressured into getting the vaccine if everyone can still pass/carry it???

Surely this a wind up?