Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

A poor showing yesterday but there is hope after the u20 win on Friday. I hope the players can gel together and give the Taitleann a rattle. These players have won nothing for Down

Godsown

You're in earlier than normal this morning, TH. Must be on flexi today

wobbller

It'll be a hammering away to Monaghan and a long wait to we see County Football again.

Truth hurts

If we get beat then prepare right for the taitleann cup. And go and win it, it would be a good boost for the county.

The hurlers winning at the weekend coupled with an u20 win would be great as well.

The county board got a lot of flak-like week but that's an easy option to hit, players need to ask themselves a few home truths.

Truth hurts

Let's try to be positive on here this week. Any word as to how pre-season is going for teams at the minute.

I see Annaclone beat Liatriom in the Ulster league.

snoopdog

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 28, 2022, 01:01:52 PM
If we get beat then prepare right for the taitleann cup. And go and win it, it would be a good boost for the county.

The hurlers winning at the weekend coupled with an u20 win would be great as well.

The county board got a lot of flak-like week but that's an easy option to hit, players need to ask themselves a few home truths.
Looking at the sides that will be in the Tailteann I'm struggling to pick out many that I'd be confident Down could beat. Need some massive boost to win a match never mind a tournament.

Too many steps

Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:01:05 PM
Quote from: Too many steps on March 27, 2022, 07:05:59 PM
Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:25:30 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on March 27, 2022, 09:48:36 AM
Quote from: Lotto on March 26, 2022, 07:21:12 PM
Coming from Laverty's own club gave lads a serious advantage last year and the same this year from what I see. I hope this years lads don't let the show down like they did last year at the end.

Down Minors beat 3.13 - 1.07 and not a mention on our social media outlets. Would there be any chance that we could find out when our teams are playing games so we could go and watch them?

The number 4 Friday night would never make any other county team, you are right, Laverty will put the development of Kilcoo players first. His loyalty for Kilcoo cost him last year, letting the county down v Roscommon. The boy in question who is suspended has plenty of history eye gouging, and no doubt will be straight back in v Tyrone next week.

The senior set up goes from bad to worse, Kane back in goals after going on a stag last weekend, players laughing at management, our standards must have disappeared altogether.
Laughable, this team at U-17 were beaten by Fermanagh with 9 -11 starters from Burren and a Burren Manager! Laverty and Clarke have righted some wrongs.
Taking nothing away from the particular Burren team as they were very good but to say to all other clubs in the county that your service's isn't required because Burren are here was ridiculous.
Back to reality, they'll do very well to beat Tyrone. We're quite as strong as last year.
#not
You  can add another correction.

This was *not* the team that were  beaten by Fermanagh 2 years ago. They would be u19 now. Next years u20 is the year group beaten by Fermanagh.
I stand corrected on the date/year. I believe my point is still valid though.
I was simply pointing out some of the double standards read here.
You'll get a good comparison after Saturday.

This year group lost to Tyrone by 5 in minor c'ship 3 years ago - so that will give a pretty good indicator of progress - although some of the players will have changed obviously.

Last year was the group that missed out on minor due to the u18 to u17 change I believe, so they didn't have any minor results to compare with.

whitegoodman

Quote from: snoopdog on March 28, 2022, 02:41:57 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 28, 2022, 01:01:52 PM

Looking at the sides that will be in the Tailteann I'm struggling to pick out many that I'd be confident Down could beat. Need some massive boost to win a match never mind a tournament.

I know things are bad but if there was a fully fit panel to pick from would we not be capable of beating all Div 4 teams and some Div 3 teams ?

The under 20's were impressive on Friday night, great movement as a team and seemed to have a structure about them that doesnt appear to be there at senior level.  In saying that Fermanagh were very poor and outside Murdock I didn't see anyone ready to make the step up to senior level yet.

sdg

How many players will hang about after the monaghan game? I think  a few boys will head for the USA

U20 game,  u can only beat what's in front of u, but fermanagh were very poor . Tyrone will tell us about this years team.

snoopdog

Was there many of the Down players that started fri night v Fermanagh in the team that lost to Tyrone in the leo murphy?

Ed Hardy

Quote from: snoopdog on March 28, 2022, 08:33:51 PM
Was there many of the Down players that started fri night v Fermanagh in the team that lost to Tyrone in the leo murphy?

Is Ryan Magill out injured? Anyone else due to come back in?

Truth hurts

Quote from: sdg on March 28, 2022, 07:27:43 PM
How many players will hang about after the monaghan game? I think  a few boys will head for the USA

U20 game,  u can only beat what's in front of u, but fermanagh were very poor . Tyrone will tell us about this years team.

If they do not stay around for the Taitleann they should never get a jersey again. We are handing senior jerseys out like confetti the past few years and although we are quick to hit the county board. No one seems to question the players. The hurlers don't seem to have an issue with the county board.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 29, 2022, 08:40:03 AM

If they do not stay around for the Taitleann they should never get a jersey again. We are handing senior jerseys out like confetti the past few years and although we are quick to hit the county board. No one seems to question the players. The hurlers don't seem to have an issue with the county board.

How would you know?

FWIW we're now almost into April and still no sign of an U15 development squad for the hurlers and last years was a waste of time. Three outings I think they had all in.

Currently our U17 and U20 hurlers haven't a clue where they're training and parents last week only found out the evening before that the U17's were to train in Ballykinlar and the lights are nowhere near sufficient to play hurling under and one coach told me it was a waste of time going there.
The senior hurlers train are Ok as they agreed to train in the Dub all winter so the CB booked them in there, so they'd committed to the traveling two, three times a week and are indeed getting player buy in but it's a big ask for a lot of these lads to sustain for any great length of time.

The county camogs with no executive in place are better run.

I don't know much about you or anyone else giving out about commitment levels asked of young lads, but unless you've tried it yourself then I suggest you wind it down giving out about this honour of playing for your county as honour doesn't pay your bills.

Truth hurts

Quote from: johnnycool on March 29, 2022, 10:41:39 AM

How would you know?

FWIW we're now almost into April and still no sign of an U15 development squad for the hurlers and last years was a waste of time. Three outings I think they had all in.

Currently our U17 and U20 hurlers haven't a clue where they're training and parents last week only found out the evening before that the U17's were to train in Ballykinlar and the lights are nowhere near sufficient to play hurling under and one coach told me it was a waste of time going there.
The senior hurlers train are Ok as they agreed to train in the Dub all winter so the CB booked them in there, so they'd committed to the traveling two, three times a week and are indeed getting player buy in but it's a big ask for a lot of these lads to sustain for any great length of time.

I don't know much about you or anyone else giving out about commitment levels asked of young lads, but unless you've tried it yourself then I suggest you wind it down giving out about this honour of playing for your county as honour doesn't pay your bills.

Trying to source pitches for dev squads and county training seem to be a massive issue. The sooner Ballykinlar is complete the better.

Mourne Red

Quote from: johnnycool on March 29, 2022, 10:41:39 AM

How would you know?

JC how is Ballykinlar viewed in the hurling community? If that is to be the home of our county teams is that not a lot of travelling for the players? Just on basis a lot of the players would be picked from across the lough - know the boat stops around 10:30 or so