Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: ardtole on March 04, 2022, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 04, 2022, 12:13:21 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on March 04, 2022, 11:01:12 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 04, 2022, 08:59:30 AM
Why is Donal O'hare not playing for Down?
Maybe ask some of your prominent friends in the East?

We don't hear the going on of the traditional liberal elite clubs in the south of the county. He would be some additional even if just for frees.
Jesus, your starting to sound like Jamie Bryson with your liberal elite.

wiberal ewite

sdg

Quote from: ardtole on March 04, 2022, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 04, 2022, 12:13:21 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on March 04, 2022, 11:01:12 AM
Maybe ask some of your prominent friends in the East?

We don't hear the going on of the traditional liberal elite clubs in the south of the county. He would be some additional even if just for frees.
Jesus, your starting to sound like Jamie Bryson with your liberal elite.
He's starting to sound like Down Jim

Nanderson

Think knee injuries took their toll on him so he has to limit the amount of football he plays

Johnnysboys

He would not be up to that level now. Let's be honest when the pressure is on he very rarely scores from open play - just ask Niall Brannigan or Adam Lynch who regularly clean him out in club games. Deadly accurate at free kicks but so is BO'H. Donal had his day and was a great servant to his county - he made the correct decision IMO to step away. I wonder would he have a word with his club mate and tell him to step away before he is only remembered for inept performances...

Ed Hardy

U20's Well beaten by tyrone this morning. 3.14 to 0.7. Due to the lack of social media posts, no of idea of the starting team or the squad. So far behind other counties with this, it's laughable.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Ed Hardy on March 05, 2022, 12:34:19 PM
U20's Well beaten by tyrone this morning. 3.14 to 0.7. Due to the lack of social media posts, no of idea of the starting team or the squad. So far behind other counties with this, it's laughable.

Have they even advertised fixtures for the games in the Cup? I had to search on twitter to see where the game against Antrim was being played and Bryansford twitter account the only ones I seen posting about venue and time change

thewobbler

Down actually has one of the best social media presences of any county board in Ireland.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2022, 12:49:20 PM

Down actually has one of the best social media presences of any county board in Ireland.
Go and look at the tyrone twitter account and look at Down's the difference is night and day. Louth was the same 2weeks ago. Donegal named their u16 development squad last week. Only a small bit of recognition but would be a great buzz for a 15/16 year old to see their name and photo on county's social media account.

urbangael

Maybe getting tanked by Tyrone u20s is the reason why the down twitter feed is quiet!
Down Pro is poor. Miles behind most other counties. Take a look at Tyrone Armagh or Donegal. Last year our u20s were fortunate with a relatively hand draw. No ulster title this year!

Lotto

Has to be one of the funniest posts on here in a while - you don't actually believe this, it has been a shambles for years.

thewobbler

Quote from: Lotto on March 05, 2022, 08:15:47 PM

Has to be one of the funniest posts on here in a while - you don't actually believe this, it has been a shambles for years.

It's really not Lotto. To be honest I think there's a needy and unfair expectation from some that the county board's social media team should be on duty for 20+ hours a week every week, publishing anything and everything.

It's also often at odds with what is actually possible. If team management refuse to release information, then they can't make it up.... Unless you think PRO folks should be able to identify by face, a panel of 25 x 19 year olds. And there's more than a few ultra paranoid managers in football these day who ascribe to the paranoid absolute nonsense that publishing a team sheet online, or live tweeting the flow of a game, is revealing their hand to future opponents and therefore giving away an advantage.

Mourne Red

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2022, 08:29:28 PM
Quote from: Lotto on March 05, 2022, 08:15:47 PM

It's really not Lotto. To be honest I think there's a needy and unfair expectation from some that the county board's social media team should be on duty for 20+ hours a week every week, publishing anything and everything.

It's also often at odds with what is actually possible. If team management refuse to release information, then they can't make it up.... Unless you think PRO folks should be able to identify by face, a panel of 25 x 19 year olds. And there's more than a few ultra paranoid managers in football these day who ascribe to the paranoid absolute nonsense that publishing a team sheet online, or live tweeting the flow of a game, is revealing their hand to future opponents and therefore giving away an advantage.

I do agree with Lotto and Ed it could be better tbf TheWob - only reason I say that is if you look at the Down LGFA Facebook page for example the coverage and posts they put up is excellent, anything about ladies football in the county from clubs it's shared on there and they've a great outlet there for the ladies side of the county. Team sheets, panel info, management teams etc

I think that's what the two guys are getting at.

thewobbler

Honestly Mourne Red, my gut instinct is that is a cultural issue within men's football (maybe hurling too) at county level, and not one that PR can fix or control.

The paranoia is rampant.

I guarantee you that there are men involved in various ranks whose containment game plan is no more complicated than what managers did 50 years ago - ie identify and try to nullify their opponent's 2-3 best players - but at the same time, will shit bricks about their championship opponents seeing their team sheet. They don't recognise that this is a paradox.

It's been creeping across club football the past couple of years too.

I do tweets for our club sometimes, which involves asking opposing management for a team. Half of them won't give it until after the tracksuit tops are off and numbers are revealed. In one game last year, a man deliberately read out the team back to front to me ie named all the defenders as forwards, and the keeper outfield. I'd another manager changed the numbering of every forward from that that was on the official team sheet. I've had players in my own club have a go at me for revealing too much about how we played.

They're all going mad upstairs.

Trust me when I tell you that Tweeting information that you know is wrong, is no better than not Tweeting at all. People will give out either way.

Johnnysboys

So when our u20s play an actual superpower of football they get embarrassed.. I told yas last year was a joke title with the big guns taking each other out on one side of the draw whilst we beat the minnows. We literally had to beat Monaghan who were arguably missing their most influential player god rest him. So despite not knowing teams/panels etc - the real elephant in the room is we are inept at this age group. We need a complete overhaul of underage structures and fixture planning within the county. And this is not a knee jerk reaction to a defeat - this has been coming a while..

whitegoodman

You are basing this on a challenge against a team they are likely to face in the championship in 6 weeks ? Do you think by any chance there might have been a few players missing, a few players playingout of position, hiding of a few tactical ploys? If not I'd be surprised and extremely disappointed in Lavertys footballing intelligence.

On a side note was the under 20s coaches training the seniors during the week ?  What does that tell u about our senior setup ...