Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Maybe New Roscommon will put ye out of ye're misery at th'end o' May😀
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2019, 10:16:58 PM

"New Roscommon"? Is that to account for the diaspora that's now in ye're ranks?  ;D

giveballaghback

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 11, 2019, 10:28:30 PM

"New Roscommon"? Is that to account for the diaspora that's now in ye're ranks?  ;D
Is that the diaspora as Tom Parsons {Sligo} and Andy Moran {Roscommon}

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 11, 2019, 02:32:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 11, 2019, 01:53:37 PM
Mayo are 7/2 v the Dubs the next day
Nice price if the Dubs don't turn up again

A very nice price. Apart from Dublin no other side has performed consistently well in Croke park like Mayo have over the last number of years. Horan will likely pick his strongest and most experienced team for this game as he will know a win will likely stop Dublin from reaching the final which would give Mayo a much better chance to win a first national title for 18 years.

I just can't imagine James Horan is even remotely interested in winning the league.
Equally there is no strongest team in reserve for a special gig v the Dubs. I expect another bit of development in this game and see how it goes. In his first term, league games V Dublin, Horan played it fast and loose and so did the Dubs. They don't anymore and teams can t get a run on them anymore either. They are more interested in controlling games these days than killing teams. They are in transition as well (a winning transition!) and would be no shock if Mayo beat them.
The thing is, it doesn't matter how it pans out. Dublin probably have greater need for points and that should do it. Doesn't matter though. A good football game would be the best outcome.

On a completely unrelated topic, it is surprising really it has taken this long to discover - I'm talking RTE here really - what a great product a Saturday night game in a provincial ground is.

Mayo4Sam

A Moysider, they got lucky, if Monaghan v Galway had been Saturday nite we'd be wondering what they were at. There's a case to never show another Galway match ever though, even as highlights. But Kerry v Cavan the previous week was poor too. It's hit and miss with the league. 

As an occasion for supporters it's one of my favourites, the Down Mayo game a few years ago in Castlebar that ended in a draw and the Armagh match above there where O'Shea flittered their midfielder with a shoulder being two highlights
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

blast05

Quote from: moysider on February 11, 2019, 11:02:16 PM

A very nice price. Apart from Dublin no other side has performed consistently well in Croke park like Mayo have over the last number of years. Horan will likely pick his strongest and most experienced team for this game as he will know a win will likely stop Dublin from reaching the final which would give Mayo a much better chance to win a first national title for 18 years.

I just can't imagine James Horan is even remotely interested in winning the league.
Equally there is no strongest team in reserve for a special gig v the Dubs. I expect another bit of development in this game and see how it goes. In his first term, league games V Dublin, Horan played it fast and loose and so did the Dubs.

True.
But i'm giddy with excitement at the prospect of Ryan O'Donoghue eventually being given a game and ripping up defences with his pace !!

Rossfan

"New Roscommon"?
A team with a defence, steel and a Manager.

highorlow

What's the expected attendance for Dublin v Mayo? 30k plus?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 11, 2019, 11:08:43 PM
A Moysider, they got lucky, if Monaghan v Galway had been Saturday nite we'd be wondering what they were at. There's a case to never show another Galway match ever though, even as highlights. But Kerry v Cavan the previous week was poor too. It's hit and miss with the league. 

As an occasion for supporters it's one of my favourites, the Down Mayo game a few years ago in Castlebar that ended in a draw and the Armagh match above there where O'Shea flittered their midfielder with a shoulder being two highlights

I take the point about being lucky for sure. But it has huge potential to grow the game as well. Dublin v Mayo could be a spectacle but will be swamped in a big ground.
As for Galway v Monaghan and others? Sooner rather than later the penny has to drop that there is an entertainment requirement that has to be addressed. Likes of Galway messing about playing anti-football is pathetic - no easy way to put it.
On the other hand likes of Cork getting beaten by Clare every other week is very satisfying!

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on February 11, 2019, 11:27:13 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 11, 2019, 11:02:16 PM

Equally there is no strongest team in reserve for a special gig v the Dubs. I expect another bit of development in this game and see how it goes. In his first term, league games V Dublin, Horan played it fast and loose and so did the Dubs.

True.
But i'm giddy with excitement at the prospect of Ryan O'Donoghue eventually being given a game and ripping up defences with his pace !!

Looking forward to it.

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on February 11, 2019, 11:42:52 PM
What's the expected attendance for Dublin v Mayo? 30k plus?

You serious?! Why that many?
Castlebar would get 15-18 maybe ..... maybe?
How would there be 30+ in Dublin?
I think there should be though!

highorlow

I'd expect the Dublin supporters to show up in force for this one. 7k in Tralee must equate to 20 or more at home.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on February 12, 2019, 12:19:07 AM
I'd expect the Dublin supporters to show up in force for this one. 7k in Tralee must equate to 20 or more at home.

In fairness to the true Dubs, they love the away games and the core have always travelled.
Hope you are right about this one though. I think it could be a great Saturday night league game.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2019, 11:32:59 PM

"New Roscommon"?
A team with a defence, steel and a Manager.
Lookit

I remember 2012 and the Leinster Final. Cunningham's first year
They did a cull of the non performers the previous autumn and built up from scratch with an u21 team that wasn't used to losing

www.youtu.be/rb52kJeCzoA

It was wonderful after 20 plus years largely of shite and inconsistency
They could have won the all Ireland that year but didn't have the cuteness and KK were very strong
The work they started eventually led to the all Ireland in 2017 

It is good to see the neighbours doing well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Thanks Seafóidín.
We've improved by 3-14 against Tyrone anyways.