Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: theskull1 on March 01, 2023, 06:32:58 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 01, 2023, 01:19:22 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 28, 2023, 01:30:28 PM
Scott Adam's on Hotep Jesus podcast provides a more nuanced perspective on where Adam's is coming from.

Hopefully for his sake. The video clips I saw were pretty emphatic in racism and bullshit white victimhood.

Clips edited to suit the culture war by those who want to spin it that way

You go right ahead and explain or present the "honest" unedited versions then.

theskull1

I've tried to... never worry
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

Quote from: theskull1 on March 01, 2023, 10:53:22 AM
I've tried to... never worry

No you didn't. You said his podcast presented a more "nuanced perspective on where he's coming from".

Just give us the gist.

Gabriel_Hurl

You mean you don't have 2 hours to listen to a podcast  >:(

Blowitupref

Sports commentators advised against use of phrases 'handbags', 'nitty gritty', 'sold down the river
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 04, 2023, 02:37:04 PM
Sports commentators advised against use of phrases 'handbags', 'nitty gritty', 'sold down the river

??

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gabriel_Hurl

news must be slow getting to the North West - that happened a few years ago

RedHand88

What's wrong with nitty gritty??

Gmac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 04, 2023, 09:00:54 PM
nothing but the loons  think it originated in the slave trade and refers to the mess left in the ships hull after a trip carrying slaves , there is no basis for the claim

Main Street

Quote from: Gmac on March 04, 2023, 09:13:59 PM
nothing but the loons  think it originated in the slave trade and refers to the mess left in the ships hull after a trip carrying slaves , there is no basis for the claim
I am shocked that a sports commentator is not aware of that obscure slave trade connotation and persists in using the term  (getting down to the) 'nitty gritty' in the context of a GAA  game  ::)
Nevertheless, just because there exists utter idiotic pc fanatics does not mean that racist right wing morons are not racist right wing morons.

Gmac

Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2023, 09:21:42 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 04, 2023, 09:13:59 PM
I am shocked that a sports commentator is not aware of that obscure slave trade connotation and persists in using the term  (getting down to the) 'nitty gritty' in the context of a GAA  game  ::)
Nevertheless, just because there exists utter idiotic pc fanatics does not mean that racist right wing morons are not racist right wing morons.
way to get to the nitty gritty of the situation

J70

Before it was posted here, I'd never heard of the issue with these idioms.

Someone said the story was a few years old.

So is it an actual thing that had an impact or some hyped up non-story from the white grievance merchants?

J70

I'd always assumed being "sold down the river" was a biblical thing given how frequently the likes of  Paisley were screaming about it.

Jell 0 Biafra

My understanding of it is that 'sold down the river' referred to being sold from (relatively) northern states to states further south, where treatment of slaves was harsher.