Sking Holiday

Started by Keepthefaith93, October 15, 2008, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keepthefaith93

I have been thinking of booking a sking holiday but the prices seem to have gone up quite a bit from the last few years. I was wondering has anybody seen any good deals? :) :)

The Gs Man

What happens at these Sking holidays you speak of?
Keep 'er lit

Hardy

It reminds me of ski-ing. Which reminds me to ask - what is it for? What good is it? What's the point of spending an hour or so being hauled up a hill just to slide down it again? We used to do that on icy ground when we were kids but most of us gave it up when we got to our teens.

If it's getting to the top of the hill that's important, we have helicopters and the like nowadays. On the other hand, if you wanted to be at the bottom of the hill all the time (which I must assume from the fact that that's where you head for as soon as you get to the top), what brought you up it in the first place?

I'd love to find out what it's all about. I'm particularly interested in the argument for paying money to do this kind of thing.

the Deel Rover

horses for courses i suppose hardy its a like a man i know that has no interest in galecic football (strange i know) but he said he can't understand the joy 30 men get out of chasing a pigs bladder around a field and when they get it they just kick it away
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Feckit he's right, of course. But I put it to you, sir, that that's whataboutery. Who's going to defend hill-sliding without comparing it to other ludicrous activities?

the Deel Rover

I dunno hardy i can't defend it never been on a ski holiday in my life but i was thinking about going however you might be about to change my mind on that . I always found the 10-10-20 fertiliser bags were great for getting down the snowy hills in my youth what did you use hardy :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

The Gs Man

We used to shoot down on windsurf boards (minus the sail of course).

Good craic.
Keep 'er lit

Hardy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 15, 2008, 11:08:29 AMI always found the 10-10-20 fertiliser bags were great for getting down the snowy hills in my youth what did you use hardy :D

The same. Or any piece of suitable flat material. Thin plywood was best - with a rope attached to the front you could bend up the front of it so that it wouldn't dig into the ground and upend you.

We also used to slide on our feet, standing upright or crouched down (there were varying styles), on a snowy or icy road. Even on the level, with a good run-up, you could slide a good twenty yards. The piece of road would be polished to glass so that you could hardly stand on it after a morning of it.

When there was no snow or ice, we'd make mud slides, but you needed a hill for that. And wellies, or you'd be in fierce trouble when you got home with  muck up to your oxters.

It didn't cost a penny and the apres-slide was free too.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on October 15, 2008, 11:19:06 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 15, 2008, 11:08:29 AMI always found the 10-10-20 fertiliser bags were great for getting down the snowy hills in my youth what did you use hardy :D

The same. Or any piece of suitable flat material. Thin plywood was best - with a rope attached to the front you could bend up the front of it so that it wouldn't dig into the ground and upend you.

We also used to slide on our feet, standing upright or crouched down (there were varying styles), on a snowy or icy road. Even on the level, with a good run-up, you could slide a good twenty yards. The piece of road would be polished to glass so that you could hardly stand on it after a morning of it.

When there was no snow or ice, we'd make mud slides, but you needed a hill for that. And wellies, or you'd be in fierce trouble when you got home with  muck up to your oxters.

It didn't cost a penny and the apres-slide was free too.
it brings back the memories , Jimmy Nallens dad had a field in Cross and whenever there was a fall of snow all the children from the town would head to it , at the bottom of the hill was a huge boulder at the object was to try to get down the hill and take flight when you would hit the boulder a bit like eddie the eagle , when you graduated from the 10-10-20 fertiler bags and earned your full downhill sliding license you were giving the keys to a morris minor bonnent which could hold 4 passengers and was mighty at firstly getting down the hill and secondly for take off , how some of us were not killed i never know :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

kinghen

seen this when browsing for a wee break myself, never been skiing tho so dont know if this is value for money or not:

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/top-deals/deals/081008-4/

Bensars

If your looking for a ski holiday , and as long as its not a large group of 10+ wait until jan or feb and you will get it for a song.

Far better holiday than a lazy summer holiday, been 6 times and would highly recommend it

Mhic Easmuint

Yeah if only for a couple of you, it could be left to the last minute and something could be picked up fairly cheap. 
Group would be best booked earlier. 
Booked myself for January for 16 of us to Selva.  Hope to get a 2nd time in March.

Been 6 times as well and would totally recommend it. 

Bensars

Quote from: kinghen on October 15, 2008, 12:48:51 PM
seen this when browsing for a wee break myself, never been skiing tho so dont know if this is value for money or not:

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/top-deals/deals/081008-4/

That Deal doesnt include your Ski hire,ski school, insurance,  lift pass or connecting flight to Gatwick. Add £300 to that price.

You should be able to get everything for around £500-550.  There will be a lot of companies left with an awful lot of packages this winter. I have been recieving e mails this past 3 months with discounts which is unheard of at this time of year.

Rois

Heading to Livigno (again) in March for £500 including lift pass and ski hire which is pretty good but there's a group of 17 of us going.

There's a few bargains about even now, but last year I remember saying that if I was going in January I'd book the week before cause catered chalets were for nothing from Dublin.

Was in Chamonix twice last year and if I could persuade anyone to go back there, I would. 

Try Inghams as well as Crystal and Directski (skimcneill in Belfast are an agent of directski) and the usual Topflight.

On another note, if anyone is interested in purchasing a set of pretty good skis and a pair of heated boots for them, let me know. 

Mhic Easmuint

What date you's going to Livigno in March Rois?
Who was that with? Panorama/Neilson or with Ski McNeill.

Might be going there again on the 14th of March, for St Paddys day again. Probably be a group of 15 or 16 of us.