Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on May 19, 2018, 08:23:08 AM
No, I corrected your stats where you brought in miscarriages in your initial post on the matter. Include then, don't include, I couldn't care less. I was merely fixing your calculations. Yes they left it out (although the suspicion is that they did so as it would benefit them, not because it's too difficult to include them), but I'm not talking about that. YOU included them.

As previously mentioned, if the miscarriage rate is up towards 20%, as some statistics would suggest, the rate of abortions to pregnancies goes up above 1 in 6.

Yes thanks for that, but then you also started to tell me that it was pregnancies not successful births that the ratio should be based on. So if you are now assinging back to me authority on this, then the number should clearly be based on the number of likely successful births

The miscarriage rate could be as high as 75% which would make any attempt to give an accurate stat totally farcical. As I said before its all dependent on the gestational age and as a result when the abortions takes place. 1 in10 as far as I can make out is reasonably conservative based on a wide variety of factors.

So that works out to 1 in 5 if its a little more it makes it no less horrific to me or no more unacceptable for you, so we are at a moot point.

macdanger2

Read earlier that the number of Irish women going to the UK is lower now than 1980. The numbers gradually increased year on year to 2001 (~6500) and have been falling since. Presumably due to increased availability of contraception. Not necessarily relevant to the debate but I thought it was interesting nonetheless

https://www.ifpa.ie/Hot-Topics/Abortion/Statistics

Franko

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 19, 2018, 06:51:36 AM
Just one more week till this thing is over. Has there ever been a greater platform for self-righteous phoneys(on both sides)? From John Waters(and there's loads more like him on the No side), with his "how dare you interrupt me from saving thousands of babies from their black-capped executioners with your perfectly reasonable questions" outburst, to Yes voters getting outraged over phrases like "abortion on demand"(I've no issue with people voting for abortion but for jaysus sake be honest about what you're voting for), both sides of this debate have been sickening.

The only worthwhile and persuasive element of the debate that I've heard were the stories of women who've travelled full of shame and fear to England for abortions. That, allied to the laughable hypocrisy of our constitution which protects their right to travel for abortions is enough reason to vote yes.

Thank God there's another fantastic weekend of sport in store so we can escape from listening to the pontificators.

This.

The extremes on both sides of this debate are both particularly obnoxious.

Can wait until it's over.  If I had a vote I'd probably be voting yes but it's not a no-brainer for me.

Itchy

Quote from: Franko on May 19, 2018, 02:01:22 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on May 19, 2018, 06:51:36 AM
Just one more week till this thing is over. Has there ever been a greater platform for self-righteous phoneys(on both sides)? From John Waters(and there's loads more like him on the No side), with his "how dare you interrupt me from saving thousands of babies from their black-capped executioners with your perfectly reasonable questions" outburst, to Yes voters getting outraged over phrases like "abortion on demand"(I've no issue with people voting for abortion but for jaysus sake be honest about what you're voting for), both sides of this debate have been sickening.

The only worthwhile and persuasive element of the debate that I've heard were the stories of women who've travelled full of shame and fear to England for abortions. That, allied to the laughable hypocrisy of our constitution which protects their right to travel for abortions is enough reason to vote yes.

Thank God there's another fantastic weekend of sport in store so we can escape from listening to the pontificators.

This.

The extremes on both sides of this debate are both particularly obnoxious.

Can wait until it's over.  If I had a vote I'd probably be voting yes but it's not a no-brainer for me.

Totally agree obnoxious arrogant people on both sides pointing out the obnoxious arrogant people on the other.
Best example is the sign on belbulben. No stick it up, cheap stunt. Yes moan about how outrageous it is. Yes side wreck it, cheap stunt. No side point cry about hypocritical no yes side.

sid waddell

I'm surprised that "No" supporters managed to make it halfway up Ben Bulben at all - they much prefer the earth to be flat.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2018, 09:59:14 PM
I'm surprised that "No" supporters managed to make it halfway up Ben Bulben at all - they much prefer the earth to be flat.

A continuation of the "your stupid if you don't support abortion"

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 19, 2018, 10:22:24 PM

To be fair, most No supporters on this thread have proved themselves beyond any doubt to be such.

And you're all very touchy about a gentle wind up, as you just proved there.

If you can't handle an unwanted joke, you should try handling an unwanted pregnancy.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2018, 10:35:40 PM

To be fair, most No supporters on this thread have proved themselves beyond any doubt to be such.

If you can't handle an unwanted joke, you should try handling an unwanted pregnancy.

Since your averaging about 3 logical fallacies per post your not proving yourself to be the most adept at adhering to rationale

Im not touchy in the slightest Ive repeated this 100 times on here, its an anonymous forum how could it ever be personal I know nothing about you nor you about me.

BTW I think you also may misunderstand flat earth v smooth earth

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 19, 2018, 10:43:45 PM

Since your averaging about 3 logical fallacies per post your not proving yourself to be the most adept at adhering to rationale

Im not touchy in the slightest Ive repeated this 100 times on here, its an anonymous forum how could it ever be personal I know nothing about you nor you about me.

You're incredibly touchy.

sid waddell

Ah lovely, "logical fallacies" - the go to phrase for the internet dullard trying to make himself look smart. Once "logical fallacy" appears, you really know you're tangling with an intellectual heavyweight. ;D

As for your last sentence, deary, deary me. Just take the joke, mate. Your obvious irritation at it is only prolonging the mirth.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 19, 2018, 11:18:27 PM

Ah lovely, "logical fallacies" - the go to phrase for the internet dullard trying to make himself look smart. Once "logical fallacy" appears, you really know you're tangling with an intellectual heavyweight. ;D

As for your last sentence, deary, deary me. Just take the joke, mate. Your obvious irritation at it is only prolonging the mirth.

You now slagging off the most basic tenets for debating... sticking to the subject and rationale with your argument.

Tho Not sure how pointing out the errors in your logic makes "me" look smart but so be it...... its an anonymous forum... no one knows who I am... so how could it make me look smart?

mrdeeds

Is anyone going to change a voters view on this? No. Can we all not agree that the extreme on both sides is ridiculous.

Syferus

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 20, 2018, 01:35:24 AM
Is anyone going to change a voters view on this? No. Can we all not agree that the extreme on both sides is ridiculous.

The extreme of anything is ridiculous. I don't know what that has to do with this, though. Both sides do not have the same amount of extremists by the looks of things so you'd be well advised not to draw a false equivalence between Yes and No campaigners.

TomFun

Quote from: Syferus on May 17, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
I love how fast some here are to judge what any couple does with advances modern science. You'd swear that a healthy baby wasn't something all parents wish to have.

You are a piece of work. sc**bag

whitey

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 20, 2018, 01:35:24 AM

No...youre not allowed say that anyone on the Yes side is an extremist! 

Nor can you say that anyone on the Yes side had conducted themselves in any questionable manner!