Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 01:41:48 PM
A lot of the subs were double subs too iirc.

One other thing that struck me was during the Dublin Galway game there were a few frees in given for clattering a player while the ball was going over the end line. Beggan did exactly that near the end and nothing given or mentioned as usual.

Yea on Mcaliskey. Was nowhere near the ball. If that's done out the pitch it's a free. Because of where it happened not only was it a free, it was a tap over free which Tyrone didn't get.

Unlaoised

90% of social media (gaa people mostly neutrals) no matter what platform you check the last two days say Monaghan were very hard done by hard to argue that they were.

Tyrone were steeped they didn't play well and a fortunate goal and questionable decisions got them over the line .

Monaghans early nerves and lack of composure late on along with referee Nolan robbed them of their first all ireland apperance in 88 years

They must be sick.
LAOIS ABÚ

Jayop

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 14, 2018, 01:54:29 PM
90% of social media (gaa people mostly neutrals) no matter what platform you check the last two days say Monaghan were very hard done by hard to argue that they were.

Tyrone were steeped they didn't play well and a fortunate goal and questionable decisions got them over the line .

Monaghans early nerves and lack of composure late on along with referee Nolan robbed them of their first all ireland apperance in 88 years

They must be sick.

Lol 90 percent of social media will always be against Tyrone. After the Dublin game apparently the ref was fair and balanced. Public opinion means nothing.

RedHand88

They must be sick.

Ima stop you right there....

Unlaoised

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 14, 2018, 02:00:42 PM

They must be sick.

So if a vote was taken it doesn't count ha ha.....

Can Tyrone fans not just be happy that they are in the final they got the rub of the green as regards the ref and the whole country pratically thinks the same ...

End of story
LAOIS ABÚ

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on August 14, 2018, 10:32:54 AM
Quote from: straightred on August 14, 2018, 10:13:29 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 14, 2018, 09:29:25 AM
Quote from: straightred on August 14, 2018, 09:24:24 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 09:20:36 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 14, 2018, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
Just watching it back now and hadn't noticed the deliberate trip on colm after ten minutes. Should have been a black.

I called this right after the game if you go back about 12 pages. I thought it was unbelievable that a BC wasn't produced. The ref blew for the free so it wasn't as if he didn't see it.

It was a text book BC decision.

I'm not saying that you're not correct but I just don't remember the incident that you are referring to.
Is it the incident down the corner of the cusack and davin. I didn't think much of it at the time and a BC never crossed my mind,. However, for the purposes of the debate i'll give you the benefit and say it was - they get to bring a sub on anyway so its hardly critical. The uselessness of the BC - that's a whole different thread.

I think the point is that there is a fair bit of talk about McNamee's potential BC. But not as much about the potential Monaghan one. Both were clear black cards in my book.
For me its yet another attempt to argue that the ref somehow balanced the books with bad decisions. As Paul Kimmage might say "He did in his b*ll*x". Its not just this match either. Its happens regularly and you then get the same old rubbish spouted out afterwards that he was bad but it didn't affect the result. Why not tell it as it is and admit that it did affect the result. He 100% influenced the result on Sunday. He got a series of critical decisions wrong and a number of these led directly to Tyrone scores (a significantly greater number than those that led to Monaghan scores). I wonder will Tyrone folks be so level headed the next time they are shafted by an incompetent ref (because it will happen - sooner or later). I hope some young refs coming through are given an opportunity as this fellow has had his chances

Great teams never complain about the ref. No team ever gets every decision. If this is the Monaghan psyche (and I think it is, given MO'R's comments) then they will never be serious contenders. They were beaten by a team operating at around 60% - 70%. And I'd imagine that hurts, as they probably believed (wrongly) that they could overcome Tyrone, but reality is they're probably 4-5 players short.

MOR was hurting right after that game and journalists tend to dig into those kind of things to try and grab headlines so I wouldn't read that much into it.

The 60-70% thing is nonsense. Tyrone played as well as they were allowed play. The teams are reasonably closely matched. Tyrone are probably a bit better but they're not 30-40% plus better otherwise they wouldn't have got beat by them once this year and ran them to a point in an AI semi final. Both teams had a lot of wides. I can't recall but monaghan possibly had even more.

Monaghan probably didn't have their finest game either but that was probably because Tyrone nullified key parts of their game. (Thinking back I think nullifying mcanespie had a big bearing on the game).

Tyrone are slightly better than Monaghan but not that much. Referee maybe had a bearing but like MS says Monaghan had chances too. They had a few goal chances and didn't take them. Tyrone could possibly have had another one too. Very evenly matched. Tyrone took more chances and that's about it.

(To people who said Monaghan had no one bu McManus did McCarthy not score 3 points?? That would be a decent return. Remainder of forwards probably didn't contribute enough though)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 14, 2018, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 14, 2018, 02:00:42 PM

They must be sick.

So if a vote was taken it doesn't count ha ha.....

Can Tyrone fans not just be happy that they are in the final they got the rub of the green as regards the ref and the whole country pratically thinks the same ...

End of story
It would just be good if a bit of balance was applied.
Tyrone got a couple of soft frees that they converted, as did monaghan.
Overall Tyrone just slightly edged the contest. There is alot of sympathy for the underdog, but on this occasion they just came up short.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 09:38:40 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 14, 2018, 09:29:25 AM
Quote from: straightred on August 14, 2018, 09:24:24 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 09:20:36 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 14, 2018, 09:15:23 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
Just watching it back now and hadn't noticed the deliberate trip on colm after ten minutes. Should have been a black.

I called this right after the game if you go back about 12 pages. I thought it was unbelievable that a BC wasn't produced. The ref blew for the free so it wasn't as if he didn't see it.

It was a text book BC decision.

I'm not saying that you're not correct but I just don't remember the incident that you are referring to.
Is it the incident down the corner of the cusack and davin. I didn't think much of it at the time and a BC never crossed my mind,. However, for the purposes of the debate i'll give you the benefit and say it was - they get to bring a sub on anyway so its hardly critical. The uselessness of the BC - that's a whole different thread.

I think the point is that there is a fair bit of talk about McNamee's potential BC. But not as much about the potential Monaghan one. Both were clear black cards in my book.
People also talk about "Tyrone's lucky goal" and "Monaghan's 2 good goal chances".

Was thinking the same after the match, unbelievable bias to class Tyrone's goal as lucky yet they didn't see the rebound of the post as anything but brilliance.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 14, 2018, 01:10:00 PM
There are certainly a couple of incidents monaghan can right feel agreived about. For me the lack of additional time being the major one. 3 minutes these days is unheard of.
The other two are the Cavanagh free, which I don't agree was a dive, but he certainly could have been blown for charging as James Mccarthy was the day before.
The other was the one on Harte, was was never a free, but as someone else has mentioned, Harte was up and away anyway and who knows how that attack would have ended.
The one at the end was never a free imo, despite kieran Hughes best efforts to manufacture one.
On the Tyrone side I thought there was also a couple of Incredibly soft frees given against them too. The two that come to mind was one on drew wylie that began missed and another that mcmanus converted.
The handtrip on CC was probably a black card offence by the book, but would probably been harsh at the same time.
The late body check on Cavanagh was probably similar to what mckieran got the black card for in the donegal game, but I wouldn't have any complaints about the yellow there

On top of the Began miss and McManus score, there was a Beggan free out on the LHF area in the first half when McAliskey was shoved in the back and his hand touched the ball on the ground (allegedly).  Should have been a Tyrone free.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jayop

That Burns chance. I thought watching it back last night that the defender got a hand to block it and that sent the ball over the bar because it seemed to come away at a weird angle from his boot. Not sure the shot would have been low enough to go in anyway, but I remember thinking at the time we were in the ascendancy that he was probably right enough to take the point and keep the scoreboard ticking.

square_ball

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 04:08:41 PM
That Burns chance. I thought watching it back last night that the defender got a hand to block it and that sent the ball over the bar because it seemed to come away at a weird angle from his boot. Not sure the shot would have been low enough to go in anyway, but I remember thinking at the time we were in the ascendancy that he was probably right enough to take the point and keep the scoreboard ticking.
Never think like that. That's as good a goal opportunity as you're likely to get. They need to be taken. If you're not putting them in the onion bag the next day, forget about it.

I think there was a hand that got a deflection on it but I don't think it was low enough to go in regardless. They should have worked the 2 on 1 better though. A chance like that in the final has to be taken.

delgany

Mc Namee got yellow card for shoulder high tackle. Both players got tangled after foul , mc namee pulled opponent but didn't pull him to the ground . It wasn't deliberate
First of all some GAA Black Card facts:

GAA Black card offences are:

1 To deliberately pull down an opponent

2 To deliberately trip an opponent with hand, arm or foot

3 To deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement

Dire Ear

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 04:08:41 PM
Never think like that. That's as good a goal opportunity as you're likely to get. They need to be taken. If you're not putting them in the onion bag the next day, forget about it.
100%, got to take vast majority of opportunities you get v Dubs,  because one thing is sure...they will

RedHand88

Quote from: delgany on August 14, 2018, 04:19:08 PM
Mc Namee got yellow card for shoulder high tackle. Both players got tangled after foul , mc namee pulled opponent but didn't pull him to the ground . It wasn't deliberate
First of all some GAA Black Card facts:

GAA Black card offences are:

1 To deliberately pull down an opponent

2 To deliberately trip an opponent with hand, arm or foot

3 To deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement

Correct. Examples below.

2. See Wylie (?) on colm cavanagh early in the first half near cusack/davin corner.

3. See Mcanespie on colm cavanagh also in first half.

omaghjoe

Id be asking questions as to why we didnt do a few more black card offences in injury time. There was a point when Beggan should have pulled down and wrapped up when we dropped a shot short but we let him set up an attack.
Can't make mistakes like that in the final Dublin would be at it all day long...