Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

If u took time to watch the replays; you seen McManus got an accidently finger round the eye area!

clarshack

thought the game was starting to slip away from us around the 59/60th minute mark and the goal a few minutes later was an unexpected lifeline.
overall it was an exciting game but the standard was mediocre enough tbh. i can't believe we didn't try and run the clock down at the end instead of going for that crazy effort.
if we make the same mistakes against Dublin like we did yesterday it will be a 7-8 point defeat.

Anyway it's fantastic to be back in the final again and no-one would have predicted this after the Meath game, and to see all the Armagh and Derry ones hurting is an added bonus too lol!
The buildup for the next 3 weeks should be good :)

yellowcard

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 13, 2018, 03:02:21 PM
If u took time to watch the replays; you seen McManus got an accidently finger round the eye area!

I did watch the replay a couple of times during the match but there was nothing conclusive about it from what I could see. I thought Hampsey got into McManus' head yesterday and the constant verbals appeared to put him off his game somewhat. He played average and fell short of the heights that he had displayed in previous games during the super 8's.   

Zulu

I thought McManus played quite well. On more than one occasion he won the ball neat his man but couldn't get away a shot due to an additional two or three Tyrone defenders pressurising him. The only thing I'd criticise McManus for was trying too hard. He forced a few shots and could have popped passes off to his teammates after drawing two or three defenders to himself. He has some turn though, I don't think he could be marked by anyone one on one.

yellowcard

Maybe the expectation on McManus is too high. He did win plenty of ball in front of Hampsey alright but you could see his frustration growing as the game went on and the chance he snatched at in the dying minutes was symptomatic of that frustration. I think he got too bogged down in getting involved in a verbal contest with Hampsey.   

Jayop

Quote from: Zulu on August 13, 2018, 02:32:24 PM
Cavanagh dived alright and it was a blatant one at that. I had a good view of it from my seat in the Hogan and couldn't believe he got the free. You're correct about McManus though. He's a brilliant footballer and a joy to watch but he hit the ground a few times yesterday looking for a free and to be fair to Nolan, he called a lot of them right and didn't give it. Nolan got a whole pile else wrong though.

I thought it was a dive at the game too. I missed the actual highlights on TSG last night and will watch the game back in full tonight but they covered that foul in the analysis and I changed my mind to thinking it was a barge rather than a dive. Either way it wasn't a free for Tyrone and should have been a free out. My main point is that the Hughes dive has been completely ignored by everyone which is to be expected.

One of the worst that I thought at the game was over on the sideline infront of the Tyrone bench with the linesman right on top of it. The Tyrone player got the ball and was literally dragged over the sideline and a sideline ball was given rather than the free it should have been. It was a baffling decision.

square_ball

Quote from: Jayop on August 13, 2018, 04:06:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 13, 2018, 02:32:24 PM
Cavanagh dived alright and it was a blatant one at that. I had a good view of it from my seat in the Hogan and couldn't believe he got the free. You're correct about McManus though. He's a brilliant footballer and a joy to watch but he hit the ground a few times yesterday looking for a free and to be fair to Nolan, he called a lot of them right and didn't give it. Nolan got a whole pile else wrong though.

I thought it was a dive at the game too. I missed the actual highlights on TSG last night and will watch the game back in full tonight but they covered that foul in the analysis and I changed my mind to thinking it was a barge rather than a dive. Either way it wasn't a free for Tyrone and should have been a free out. My main point is that the Hughes dive has been completely ignored by everyone which is to be expected.

One of the worst that I thought at the game was over on the sideline infront of the Tyrone bench with the linesman right on top of it. The Tyrone player got the ball and was literally dragged over the sideline and a sideline ball was given rather than the free it should have been. It was a baffling decision.

As I said previously on this thread, only the poor decisions against the losing team gets highlighted. I thought the Sunday game analysis was spot on last night - a few poor ones against and for Tyrone.

tyroneman

Quote from: straightred on August 13, 2018, 01:48:32 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 13, 2018, 01:25:57 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 13, 2018, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 11:44:14 AM
Don't think the ref had a decisive impact on the outcome.
You can't, with the benefit of hindsight, right all the wrongs that affected your side, without also doing the same for the other side.
Yesterday, as bad as the ref was, the poor decisions balanced themselves out over the course of the game.

That's Sunday game standard analysis, i.e. lazy. Bit like when a ref takes the lazy way out and books both players for an incident it is clear that there is only one guilty party.

The ref had a mare and the incidents didn't come close to balancing out.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/brian-gavin-referee-nolan-may-look-back-with-regret-861793.html

As myopic an article as I've seen in a long while.

Of course it looks like Monaghan were robbed if the author only cites examples of (alleged) Monaghan injustice.

There were plenty of dodgy calls that Monaghan got (and cards they didn't) that could also have been listed but seem to have been left out.......

There were definitely soft calls - on both sides
There were calls not given, that should have been - on both sides
There were yellow cards given instead of black cards  - on both sides

Overall Tyrone were marginally the better team but it definately could have went either way.

No matter the referee holding his arm up initially - that last play was not a free, not in a million years
Isnt that the issue though. Harte's and Cavanagh's (to name just 2) were, to use your words "not a free, not in a million years". Both resulted in points. One was diving and the other surprised Harte as much as the rest of us. These bad decisions did have an impact on the outcome. There is no getting away from that fact

My point is that all the supposed 'bad' calls against Monaghan were stacked up in the article and none of the 'bad' calls against Tyrone were...both sides benefited from and were also disadvantaged by some poor refereeing....that article made it seem Monaghan alone were hard done by

GJL

Where can the game be watched in full? Link? Thanks.

Jayop

tyroneman

J70

All the Tyrone boys (correctly) asking for fairness in the post match discussion of refereeing errors after the crying many of them did about McQuillan following the Donegal game. :D