Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Serious bit of fence sitting from the Sunday Game panelists tonight. The old chestnut 'the decisions balance themselves out' was thrown about and then trying to justify the 3 minutes added time.

phpearse

Great to be back in an All Ireland Final. That doesn't happen too often in the history of Tyrone football so it is a tremendous achievement. Credit to the players and management for that.

On the game itself, very much a mixed bag from Tyrone. Looked like they would steamroll Monaghan early on but poor shooting and shot selection kept Monaghan in the game. Then to give away two stupid points in the last minute of the first half. Sloppy pass for the first one and Morgan fluffing his kickout again. It is his role to make sure that all defenders are outside the 21 before taking his kick. That said defenders need to be sprinting outside the 21, to allow the quick kickout. I'm sure Monaghan were wondering how they were level at half time.

Tyrone were poor in the second half. Just about deserved to get over the line but had they lost they would point to Peter Harte messing up his chance and McClure ballooning the ball when in acres of space but when the game needed to be slowed and possession kept. 

Loads for Tyrone to work on for the final but can they even get close to Dublin?

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 10:10:04 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 12, 2018, 10:06:16 PM
Was it McShane who hit that disaster of a shot at the end? Couldn't believe it. Beggan subsequently bettered him though thankfully.
Tyrone did it throughout the game. Needlessly shooting from difficult positions instead of just holding on to it til they found someone in a gimme position.

But the last kick Tyrone had was near the end of the 3 minutes when retaining possession should have been priority. Shot from the sideline was the last thing i expected. Couldnt see who it was.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gabriel_Hurl

Was it McShane who hit that disaster of a shot at the end? Couldn't believe it. Beggan subsequently bettered him though thankfully.

McClure

Jinxy

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 10:11:29 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 12, 2018, 10:10:11 PM
Don't think I've ever seen so many point attempts land inside the field of play before.
Tyrone not used to a massive pitch.

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

Monaghan bring some noise. Nearly lifted the roof off during the minor game even.

The wemen wouldn't be deadly tho.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

straightred

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 12, 2018, 10:13:22 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 12, 2018, 09:59:01 PMWhilst I'm looking forward to it, I'm not expecting that much humour from Francis's sermon...
I think straightred has attended the Tony Fearon school of mathematics.
:) someone shouted "see you in 2 weeks" on the way out today. I'm not going to the pope so i assumed it was the final  :-\

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2018, 10:12:25 PM
trying to justify the 3 minutes added time.

The only thing that needs to be justified is Malachy O'Rourke's pathetic excuses in the post match-interview. It's a f**king sad state of affairs when Main Street is genuinely more gracious and charitable after the game than the county manager.

Hughes has always been a joke so I wasn't surprised at his interview, but O'Rourke should have been classier.

straightred

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 12, 2018, 10:19:22 PM

The only thing that needs to be justified is Malachy O'Rourke's pathetic excuses in the post match-interview. It's a f**king sad state of affairs when Main Street is genuinely more gracious and charitable after the game than the county manager.

Hughes has always been a joke so I wasn't surprised at his interview, but O'Rourke should have been classier.

you again. honestly what did monaghan do to you.

Murphy was about to tell it as it was but decided at the last moment to sit on the fence. Sensible choice by him but the point was made - he thought monaghan were shafted.

At least orourke and hughes have the courage and dignity to do interviews unlike you know who

SouthDublinBro

Throw ball

Quote from: straightred on August 12, 2018, 10:22:46 PM

Murphy was about to tell it as it was but decided at the last moment to sit on the fence. Sensible choice by him but the point was made - he thought monaghan were shafted.

At least orourke and hughes have the courage and dignity to do interviews unlike you know who

Great to hear people actually say what they think. On many occasions you just get something as interesting as a Mickey Harte interview on RTE.

straightred

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 12, 2018, 10:33:04 PM
Malachy is a sore loser. A bitter man.
you couldn't be more wrong.

I've heard that he is hugely respected by players and management the length and breath of the country. He does all the media stuff with good grace and he actually says stuff of real substance unlike some of the bland nonsense that gets trotted out (and yes I include Gavin in that). He was clearly frustrated today and rightly so IMO. Calling him bitter is out of order.

BennyHarp

Quote from: straightred on August 12, 2018, 10:22:46 PM

Courage and dignity? Wtf are you on about?
That was never a square ball!!

RedHand88

Seriously salty interview from Hughes after the game. Really don't think they have much to complain about as pointed out by the panel.

cjx

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 10:10:04 PM
Tyrone did it throughout the game. Needlessly shooting from difficult positions instead of just holding on to it til they found someone in a gimme position.
This is the key point of soul destroying failures for Tyrone. 

It always amazes me because Tyrone have been doing this for 5+ years (see Mayo 2016 worst 34 chances 12 scores) They rarely score the expected total for a top class team and their conversion rate (the other way of judging shot selection/shooting success) is never up to usual top 4 standards (only against lesser teams like Roscommon and Armagh latterly). Tyrone do 'create' more 'chances' but less chances and a much better conversion rate giving 20+points is the target and better way. The misses shots, short, wide and frees missed are soul destroying and today was the same
With all this coaching etc etc How come Tyrone never take the extra 2-3 passes to get the right shot as Dublin do?

It must be an inbuilt lack of confidence/panic somewhere? Is Stephen O'Neill doing anything at all with Tyrone?
The defense is grand so Tyrone now practice your zen, coolness, self belief and patience up front and anything is possible as when 2 points down in 2008!