Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2018, 10:56:23 AM
Not to mention the fact that Monaghan actually beat Tyrone on their home patch.

Tyrone actually have a poor record in semi finals since last their AI winning team. Tyrone might have been missing Brennan earlier in the championship but will he even be a starter next weekend, I doubt it. Cavanagh also did play in the Omagh defeat earlier in the championship. Revisionism at its best.

I will be absolutely astounded if Lee doesn't start on Sunday, surely he has to feature now. It's a huge game and huge occasion, the big question is will Mickey stick or twist with the team. If I was him I'd go for...

Morgan
McKernan
McNamee
R Brennan (I thought he was excellent when he came on)
McCann
Burns
Harte
Hampsey
Cavanagh
Donnelly
Sludden
McGeary
L Brennan
R Donnelly
Bradley

There are so many headaches (mainly in the forwards) but for this game i'd drop McShane and McAliskey for McGeary and Brennan. It's a really tough call but Conor has drifted out of form after a great start to the year, he's only scored two points from play in the super 8s and those free kick misses in the first half were very poor. He isn't winning as much ball out in front and I'd love to know how many assists he has had as I don't recall him being hugely effective in this area. This is very harsh, I understand, but big calls need to be made.

Cathal is another one that is extremely hard to drop but to fit Brennan in I think it's a direct toss up between himself and Ritchy. I just have a feeling (not sure if others agree or the stats bear it out) that he's been more effective winning ball and bringing others into play. It could easily be him dropping out for Brennan but i'd go with McShane personally. Very hesitantly, though.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 06, 2018, 08:41:30 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2018, 12:05:43 AM
Tyrone strangely are the bookies favorites despite Monaghan's better season and the fact that they have beaten Tyrone twice already this season. Providing Monaghan don't get distracted by the noise around them, I think they have the ability to get to the final.

If you are predicting what will happen next weekend based on the fact that Monaghan have beaten Tyrone already this season then you have little knowledge of the recent championship meetings between these two. If anything, the nightmares of previous Croke Park knock out defeats after they have beaten Tyrone earlier that season, will just add another psychological barrier for this Monaghan team to overcome.

I don't agree. I believe the previous two QF knock-out defeats will help Monaghan get over this one. We've beaten Tyrone in Ulster a few times in the last few years. On Saturday at 6pm we had 4 possibilities:

1. Lose to Galway, let Kerry in, and go home
2. Draw with Galway and play Dublin in a SF
3. Beat Galway and play Donegal in a SF
4. Beat Galway and play Tyrone in a SF

Monaghan would take the second best option all day long.. Donegal would not have been simple either so I think Monaghan will see this as a great opportunity.

Main Street

I had predicted an easy enough win for us in Healy park but I was disappointed that it wasn't more emphatic. We finished that game pulling up at the finish but not with total confidence of a victory until the ref blew up. And that has been a lingering troubling  feature of some of our games. Deftly side stepping the bizarre Fermanagh game, I'd say we are back to our best, re tactics, mentality, fitness and much improved in every department  from that Healy park game. Even Rory Beggan has improved his game by 21%, Drew Wiley now resembles Drew Wiley, A previously ailing Colin Walshe as he finally showed against Galway is nearly there back to his best.  We lost a lot from our game  against Kerry by having to plant Vinny full time on Donaghy, against Galway Vinny was a free man roaming up and down, scoring and assisting. We need his experience all over the pitch, not just focused on one player.

Of course it remains to be seen what Tyrone will do to try and stifle our beautiful game, how we respond to that and how we manage to tot up our points tally, regardless, a 3 in a row surely beckons.

omagh_gael

Will be interesting to see what happens Beggan if he misses his early free attempts. Every kicker has an off day, Beggan is due one ;)

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on August 06, 2018, 12:26:56 PM
I had predicted an easy enough win for us in Healy park but I was disappointed that it wasn't more emphatic. We finished that game pulling up at the finish but not with total confidence of a victory until the ref blew up. And that has been a lingering troubling  feature of some of our games. Deftly side stepping the bizarre Fermanagh game, I'd say we are back to our best, re tactics, mentality, fitness and much improved in every department  from that Healy park game. Even Rory Beggan has improved his game by 21%, Drew Wiley now resembles Drew Wiley, A previously ailing Colin Walshe as he finally showed against Galway is nearly there back to his best.  We lost a lot from our game  against Kerry by having to plant Vinny full time on Donaghy, against Galway Vinny was a free man roaming up and down, scoring and assisting. We need his experience all over the pitch, not just focused on one player.

Of course it remains to be seen what Tyrone will do to try and stifle our beautiful game, how we respond to that and how we manage to tot up our points tally, regardless, a 3 in a row surely beckons.

Yeah, A three in a row beating of Monaghan when it counts at Croke Park after a meaningless loss earlier in the season would be very welcome. It must be playing on your minds!!
That was never a square ball!!

RedHand88

Quote from: Main Street on August 06, 2018, 12:26:56 PM

Are you available for after dinner speeches??

LeoMc

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2018, 11:54:06 AM

Tyrone actually have a poor record in semi finals since last their AI winning team. Tyrone might have been missing Brennan earlier in the championship but will he even be a starter next weekend, I doubt it. Cavanagh also did play in the Omagh defeat earlier in the championship. Revisionism at its best.

I will be absolutely astounded if Lee doesn't start on Sunday, surely he has to feature now. It's a huge game and huge occasion, the big question is will Mickey stick or twist with the team. If I was him I'd go for...

Morgan
McKernan
McNamee
McCann
Burns
Harte
Hampsey
Cavanagh
Donnelly
Sludden
McGeary
L Brennan
R Donnelly
Bradley

There are so many headaches (mainly in the forwards) but for this game i'd drop McShane and McAliskey for McGeary and Brennan. It's a really tough call but Conor has drifted out of form after a great start to the year, he's only scored two points from play in the super 8s and those free kick misses in the first half were very poor. He isn't winning as much ball out in front and I'd love to know how many assists he has had as I don't recall him being hugely effective in this area. This is very harsh, I understand, but big calls need to be made.

Cathal is another one that is extremely hard to drop but to fit Brennan in I think it's a direct toss up between himself and Ritchy. I just have a feeling (not sure if others agree or the stats bear it out) that he's been more effective winning ball and bringing others into play. It could easily be him dropping out for Brennan but i'd go with McShane personally. Very hesitantly, though.
Would you prefer a fresh Brennan and McGeary or a fresh McAliskey and McShane coming on for the last 20 minutes?
I am assuming O'Neill has dropped down the pecking order after his miss against Dublin.

illdecide

As an Armagh man (not yapping BTW) I would like to see Monaghan win as they haven't won an All Ireland in a long time but either way i won't care if Tyrone win but I will be cheering on the winner in the All Ireland final none the less. I do think Tyrone will win TBH, when Tyrone played Monaghan earlier in the season they didn't get the rub of the green and had 3-4 players on who were not match fit. That is not the case now and they may be just to to good come next week, either way it'll be a tight game and may the best team win
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

omagh_gael

Quote from: LeoMc on August 06, 2018, 12:55:33 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2018, 11:54:06 AM

Morgan
McKernan
McNamee
McCann
Burns
Harte
Hampsey
Cavanagh
Donnelly
Sludden
McGeary
L Brennan
R Donnelly
Bradley

Would you prefer a fresh Brennan and McGeary or a fresh McAliskey and McShane coming on for the last 20 minutes?
I am assuming O'Neill has dropped down the pecking order after his miss against Dublin.

That's the big question, if I was the manager I'd start with Brennan and McGeary, however, I can see Mickey sticking with the tried and trusted. Obviously McGeary is likely to start for Meyler as he was in a bad way coming off but Brennan was always starting in league and even flared up the hamstring starting v Monaghan when he wasn't ready to come back. Baring lack of match fitness I'd still start him regardless of the impact he has coming on for last 25mins.

clarshack

I'm more confident of Tyrone winning this than I was for the Donegal game.

omagh_gael

Tickets now on public sale for this, only lower decks available. Wonder will they open the top tier? What's the capacity of the lower tiers plus the hill? I'd imagine that'd be more than enough to meet demand.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rois on August 06, 2018, 11:30:40 AM
Quote from: Schkite on August 06, 2018, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 09:23:49 AM
Everything went right for Monaghan in Omagh in May, everything. They were scoring ridiculous points from every angle they wouldn't any other day and this coupled with us losing 2 key forwards early on meant it was always an uphill struggle. Even with this in their favour they never pulled away until near the end.

We are a far better fitter outfit since then. As they said on the Sunday game last night, our bench has contributed 8 points per game which is an incredible card to play. I fully expect Tyrones conditioning to see them through.
We really really need to watch giving away frees though in scorable positions. (Anything past their own 45 with Beggans ability  ::) ) Do a number on McManus like we did on Murphy yesterday and we're grand.

It's amazing the excuses you lot can come up with. Everything went right for us and everything went wrong for yous, wasn't that awful unfortunate. Seems like a formality this weekend now that your horrid luck is gone  ::)
I remember thinking the score flattered us and I had no complaints. However, I also think we've improved.  Really looking fwd to it as it should be pretty evenly matched.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

trailer

I'm more confident of a win here than I was in the 1st round of Ulster or indeed against Donegal (I thought they'd win, but thought it would be closer). But the more I see of Tyrone the better they seem to get. Tyrone by 5 or 6.

cjx

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 09:23:49 AM
Everything went right for Monaghan in Omagh in May, everything. They were scoring ridiculous points from every angle they wouldn't any other day and this coupled with us losing 2 key forwards early on meant it was always an uphill struggle. Even with this in their favour they never pulled away until near the end.

We are a far better fitter outfit since then. As they said on the Sunday game last night, our bench has contributed 8 points per game which is an incredible card to play. I fully expect Tyrones conditioning to see them through.
We really really need to watch giving away frees though in scorable positions. (Anything past their own 45 with Beggans ability  ::) ) Do a number on McManus like we did on Murphy yesterday and we're grand.
Agree 100%
I wonder could Hampsay be brought back to help tag McManus, Meyler take O'Connell and leave Sludden in centre where he is comfortable ( I think Harte overreacted to Owen Ban's presence yesterday) With the 3 men now physically & match fit Tyrone have advantage also learning and getting better each day but Monaghan a serious & confident challenge. Great game in prospect As for   Dublin just makes me wonder if a cute hard Galbally man did not put too much pressure on to win in Salthill ( better get Dubs in semi and an Ulster team in final from Galway perspective but mebbe that's too fanciful(?) Morgan v Beggan interesting! Beggan best in Country but could inspire Morgan who held his nerve well up in the pit of hell yesterday. As to the pitch Tyrone could play it side to side and win I smell a 2008 coning on! Rem Conor and Ricey outpdcychinh Keery when Tyrone went 2 down 'Now we have them' 😈👺

nrico2006

Richard Donnelly and McAliskey would have to go before McShane.  I actually think McShane has done really well this season and seems to have a hand in a lot of scores. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'