Sligeach v. An Mhi

Started by magpie seanie, February 20, 2007, 02:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

After two tough struggles with the so called lesser lights of the football world one of the big name teams rolls into town this weekend. Meath aren't setting the world alight but this one will capture the imagination of Sligo gales and I'd expect a good crowd. We are tough to beat at home and two points would be a huge boost for us. Looking forward to it. I'm unsure as to whether O'Hara is suspended or not - does the repeat double yellow suspension carry a minimum 1 game stipulation?

lynchbhoy

I dont think so
I thought that you could be double yellowed in a heap of games and no suspension will arise.

Sligo are sihte.
Meath will hammer them.

;)

SLIGONIAN

Looking forward to this one. We seem to lift ourselves for these type of games. Should be a big crowd. Lads showed plenty of quality stuff so far this year. Wonder how MCNAMARA and Martyn injuries are??? Is doohan out for much longer?? We need ohara for 70 mins this game. Looked sharp the last day. Dont really know much about meath. They havent started the year in great shape though and anyways its all on day.......
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

EugeneGeraghty

Every game in this league is going to be tough. We are not the force we used to be and Sligo have a habit of one match brilliance. Plus of course its hard to say what team will line out for Meath this week. Think Geraghty has to start, the league is too important this year for experimenting.

cavanmaniac

Cavan will do well to stay focused on their own game with Tipperary who are strong at home as well, but we'll still have half an eye on the result of this one.

You'd always be looking for the top sides to take points off each other, although given that we've already played Meath and have therfore no opportunity to take points from them ourselves, it'd be best if Sligo got the win here and edged the Royals out a bit, to leave a bit of clear water between the top teams and the also rans. Hopefully we'd avoid defeat against Slgo then later on and keep the promotion dream alive!

I actually fancy Sligo to nick this. Looking at the fixtures from the outset, Meath's trips to Markievicz and to Wexford were always the ones to make or break their season and on the evidence of the performances so far, our neighbours seem below par in the league this year.

All that achieved, it'd be a dream weekend for us if Wicklow took anything off an unpredictable Wexford and Cavan to be promoted by tea-time Sunday.  :D

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 20, 2007, 02:08:46 PM
After two tough struggles with the so called lesser lights of the football world one of the big name teams rolls into town this weekend. Meath aren't setting the world alight but this one will capture the imagination of Sligo gales and I'd expect a good crowd. We are tough to beat at home and two points would be a huge boost for us. Looking forward to it. I'm unsure as to whether O'Hara is suspended or not - does the repeat double yellow suspension carry a minimum 1 game stipulation?
Yes, two double yellows within 48 weeks carry an automatic one match suspension.

However, there is an amnesty for any double yellows received in 2006. So if O'Haras first double yellow was in 2006, he is not suspended.

magpie seanie

QuoteAll that achieved, it'd be a dream weekend for us if Wicklow took anything off an unpredictable Wexford and Cavan to be promoted by tea-time Sunday

I know you put a smiley after that cos after last years last day shenanigans you boys are fit for anything. My local publican (a proud Cavan man) still cannot get over it and refers to it regularly when conversation tends toward saying anything is guaranteed!

Sligo will need to up our levels of the last two games to win but I think we can. It would be a huge two points if we could get them but making predictions at this point (especially without knowing what shape Meath are really in) is difficult at best.

magpie seanie

QuoteYes, two double yellows within 48 weeks carry an automatic one match suspension.

Hound - the local rags are saying he is available again after a two week suspension. The relevant double yellows were v. Leitrim (FBD League in January) and v. Waterford in the NFL earlier this month. Maybe the new disciplinary code only comes into effect from the start of the NFL?

SLIGONIAN

ATTN Magpie Sean

I know Sligo u21s are playing this month against Rosscommon U21 in Connaght Championship. When and where is it and do we have a chance??????????? Ros just won the hastings and there is no word from Sligo... Did we play any games???? Any seniors elegible???

Any word on martyn and macca for sunday??? ???

Mayo4Sam

Young Kelly must surely be one of ur starts this year, he was only doing the leaving last summer or is it this summer coming?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

cavanmaniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 22, 2007, 03:52:18 PM
QuoteAll that achieved, it'd be a dream weekend for us if Wicklow took anything off an unpredictable Wexford and Cavan to be promoted by tea-time Sunday

I know you put a smiley after that cos after last years last day shenanigans you boys are fit for anything. My local publican (a proud Cavan man) still cannot get over it and refers to it regularly when conversation tends toward saying anything is guaranteed!

God aye the smiley was there for that precise reason although we're confident that udner Grimley, such lame complacency is being steadily eradicated from the psyche of the Cavan footballer. I hope I haven't cursed them now...

Cavan lads have a yellow tee-shirt at training sessions with "I HAD A WATERFORD" scrawled on it.

Ah no hang on, I made that up, but you get my drift.

magpie seanie

Sligonian - Its down for March 31st in Markievicz Park. Heard a whimper about a few challenge games that went ok but as my own club has no-one involved my access to that kind of information is limited.

This was the team that lost to Roscommon in May '04 in the Hyde:

R Cullen, S Colleary, S Clancy, P McGuinness, P Murphy 0-1, B Kennedy, B Hynes 0-1, F Roche 0-1, A McIntyre, N Quinn 0-2, M Gormley 0-1, B Neary, A Taaffe 0-1, M Gordon 0-2, D Walsh. Subs: M Brennan for Neary, S Stenson for Walsh.

David Kelly will come in to that. OMS will be able to fill you in better than me about others but I remember thinking that several of that '04 side were passengers and that has been proven since.

SLIGONIAN

Roche impressed me that with his high fielding but not the fastest midfielder. We lost by 2pts in an even enough encounter. Will count for nothing on March 31st though. Itd be great to bring them down to earth after the minor success. But Im thinking our u21s are weak enough this year. Kelly and taylor is all I can think of. 

We are playing Antrim day after in NFL. Will be an interesting weekend.

Teeling Gael

Presumably as Jason Farrell and David Kelly are part of the senior panel they will be starters on U21's. Seeing Stenson has started ( though not often finishing for NUIG in Sigerson) he will be playing. Stephen Coen a minor last year seems to be starring in challenge matches and seems the real deal so again I imagine he will start and John Scanlon was leading scorer in senior championship last summer so again he should come into the picture. Dont think the other young star of last years senior championship -- Jason Marren is involved but I could be wrong.  B Murphy , N Ewing , C O Grady and Stephen Gilmartin were standout players in the 05 minor team so presumably they will be close to the starting 15. To be honest , there are 4/5 of that minor team Seanie that I've never heard of and a couple that I have that have fallen away fairly badly so I imagine it will be quite a young team.

magpie seanie

QuoteTo be honest , there are 4/5 of that minor team Seanie that I've never heard of and a couple that I have that have fallen away fairly badly so I imagine it will be quite a young team.

Exactly the point I made earlier. Was Michael Henry in charge of that '04 side?