Laois u21 Hurling Championship 2016

Started by HurlingCountry, November 07, 2016, 12:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HurlingCountry

I hear the u21 hurling championship is kicking off again, may be something to follow during the winter months. Borris/Killcotton and Abbeyleix/Ballypickas were the two finalists last year. Any idea how both of their chances would be for this years championship???

ClashAsh

Incorrect.  Abbeyleix/Ballypikas played Portlaoise in the final last year and Portlaoise won it out. Portlaoise and Borris/Kilcotten will be strong this year.

HurlingCountry

Abbeyleix i think won yesterday so thats them in a semi. You can still never write off the likes of Castletown, Ballocolla or Ballinakill. It will be interesting to see what those will be like. Unlike the football u21 where it seems straight forward between the Gaels and Josephs/Barrowhouse it seems an open championship

SCFC

Borris Kilcotton must be very strong. Gave Ballinakill an unmercifully beating today.
Clough Ballacolla had a great win, I thought Castletown SB would win that one.

Ogie

Portlaoise very strong too, going for two in a row and putting in a massive effort by all accounts.
Semi finals are Portlaoise v Borris Kilcotton, Clough Ballacolla v Abbeyleix

merman

Quote from: Ogie on November 14, 2016, 10:34:22 AM
Portlaoise very strong too, going for two in a row and putting in a massive effort by all accounts.
Semi finals are Portlaoise v Borris Kilcotton, Clough Ballacolla v Abbeyleix

I'd be very surprised if Borris/Kilcotton don't win this Championship quite comfortably.
They have a serious team.

Ballyroan Abbey

You would imagine that it will be a borris abbeyleix final alright, alyhough the last time they had a team this strong was in 12 when abbeyleix bet them after a replay, u21 can be an unpredictable enough grade

tcrilly

Conor Quinlan from Kyle is seemingly joining B/K next year at senior grade should kyle allow the transfer, hard to see though as Kyle barely have a team these days

HurlingCountry

The ballinakill game was no way to tell how good Borris Kilcotton were. I thought ballinakill would be half decent but they were piss poor. While Borris Kilcotton may look strong on paper it will be interesting to see how they perform as a team against one of the big hitters in Portlaoise. On the other hand Ballinakill seem to be having some serious problems underage especially considering they have to join up with slieve margie who already consist of five clubs amalgamated. Its a shame to see how they cant produce 15 decent hurlers from the club alone. Has anyone any reasons why they cant?

Don Draper

Quote from: HurlingCountry on November 19, 2016, 02:05:02 AM
The ballinakill game was no way to tell how good Borris Kilcotton were. I thought ballinakill would be half decent but they were piss poor. While Borris Kilcotton may look strong on paper it will be interesting to see how they perform as a team against one of the big hitters in Portlaoise. On the other hand Ballinakill seem to be having some serious problems underage especially considering they have to join up with slieve margie who already consist of five clubs amalgamated. Its a shame to see how they cant produce 15 decent hurlers from the club alone. Has anyone any reasons why they cant?
Are you on a wind up? Ballinakill have one of the best nurseries going in Laois at the moment.

As for Slieve Margy being 5 clubs, would you ever cop the f**k on for yourself.

merman

Ballinakill have an excellent Juvenile Club.

Driven by a lot of current senior players too.
The amalgamation with The Harps hurt them but they have turned a definite corner. It will take a few years to see it bear fruit.

clonadmad

If every club in laois had as good a juvenile hurling  set up as Ballinakill has,we would be in fine fettle.
Very noticeable the number of current senior players they have involved underage.

As for Slieve Margy,do they not have 5 football clubs feeding into the hurling team?.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=230467

Downtheroad

Quote from: clonadmad on November 19, 2016, 10:02:39 AM
If every club in laois had as good a juvenile hurling  set up as Ballinakill has,we would be in fine fettle.
Very noticeable the number of current senior players they have involved underage.

As for Slieve Margy,do they not have 5 football clubs feeding into the hurling team?.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=230467
Slagging Slieve Margy about 5 clubs is akin to slagging Kilkenny about Gaelic. Slieve Margy is operating in a Gaelic football area and promoting hurling in this area is not going to work in the long run. It will peter out in a couple of years.  A lot of the St Josephs players in the u21 football final today are well able to hurl but haven't the tome or probably the inclination.

clonadmad

Where was I slagging Slieve Margy?

You've gotten the wrong end of the stick there.

Ogie

First semi final over Borris Kilcotton 2-19 Portlaoise 0-13,
If BK had full squad last year against Portlaoise they would now be going for 4 in a row, serious outfit.

Clough Ballacolla good young team too, Abbeyleix a physically strong team, should be a good battle tomorrow too.