NFL Revamp

Started by David McKeown, August 12, 2011, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

I don't see it discussed anywhere else so i thought I would start a new thread.  From HoganStand

Plans to change the structure of next year's National Football League have been unveiled.

Under the new format, the 16 teams currently in Division 1 and 2 will make up Divisions 1A and 1B. The remaining 16 team would be moved into Division 2 and 3 based on their final standings in this year's league.

Tyrone, Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Louth, Derry, Monaghan and Galway were due to play in Division 2 next year, but they will now join Cork, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Armagh, Donegal, Laois and Down in Division 1.

They would be divided into two groups of eight using a random draw, which would be repeated every two years to keep the competition fresh.

The new format would allow for the reintroduction of Division 1 semi-finals, while the bottom team in each of 1A and 1B would drop down and be replaced by the top two in Division 2.

Before reverting back to its current format in 2008, the National League had comprised of Divisions 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B with the outright winners being crowned Division 1 and 2 champions.

I for one am not in favour as I think it will make the two Division ones less exciting if only the bottom team is getting relegated, also likely to be more dead rubber matches on the last day. Also makes a mockery of all the work some teams did to get into/ stay in Div 1 over the last few years.

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dubh driocht

Is this for real ? There is nothing about it on the GAA website. DMcK is right; makes a farce of last year's league - change for change sake is never good.

ross4life

Yup it's for real. The Likes of Galway,Monaghan didn't get relegated afterall while our promotion was a bit pointless now?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Onlooker

Quote from: ross4life on August 12, 2011, 07:26:28 PM
Yup it's for real. The Likes of Galway,Monaghan didn't get relegated afterall while our promotion was a bit pointless now?
After re-reading the suggested changes, which are completely unnecessary IMO, it appears that Roscommon (and Tipperary) will be playing in Division 2 next season.  Sounds good, but it is only Div. 3 under another name.  In a couple of years time, the "heads" in Croke Park will probably name Div. 1, the Premier Division and we would be playing in Div. 1.  It is all completely pointless really.  The NFL is fine as it is.

snoopdog

thats rediculous they make these pointless stupid changes yet the clowns cant get a square ball decision correct.

We were looking forward in Down to visits by Cork Kerry and the All Ireland champions Dublin next spring now we will prob get with no disrespect to any Derry Kildare and Monaghan.
Fooking idiots no wonder the counties dont take the league seriously. If this is true its another joke decision by a bunch of clowns running the association
People should vote with their feet and not attend.

thewobbler

Sadly, the constant desire to tamper with the product is a disease in Gaelic Games.
Every few years, some narrowminded yokel manages to get a proposal through the channels that serves his countys' selfish needs. A few years later, it's changed back. A fee more years, it's proposed and passed again.

Leave the game alone you clampetts. 

Orangemac

Is it April 1st?

This is a complete joke.League had finally got to the stage where teams took it semi seriously and each team was in it's division on merit.

I know bringing back the SFS went through congress but why not have top 4 play each other. If changes to the champ such as 6 day rule have to go through congress how can this be changed without discussion?

Ideally there would be no final or semi finals and the top team in each league would be the winner, would free up an extra week for club games.

Either way these SFS will not be the money spinner the GAA expects esp not in Croke Park.

ONeill

Sort of a super league for the top 12 or so in the country.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

This is shite, Mayo have been Division 1 for longer than any other county, I am pretty sure. We are second with 11 titles. Why let other counties into Division 1 if they do not earn it. Stop devaluing it ffs. Bloody annoys my hole.

Also one of the Division 1s will probably end up with Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Dublin, Meath, Kildare, Donegal, Tyrone.

Also last time those who got demoted from 1A went to 2A, then they got promoted to 1A again, so no shakeup at all really. If they bring this in demotion to 1A should lead to 2A, but Promotion from 2A should lead to promotion to 1B in a kind of circle of 8 fashion so as to mix it up.

This is a fcking disgrace.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Onlooker on August 12, 2011, 08:03:05 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 12, 2011, 07:26:28 PM
After re-reading the suggested changes, which are completely unnecessary IMO, it appears that Roscommon (and Tipperary) will be playing in Division 2 next season.  Sounds good, but it is only Div. 3 under another name.  In a couple of years time, the "heads" in Croke Park will probably name Div. 1, the Premier Division and we would be playing in Div. 1.  It is all completely pointless really.  The NFL is fine as it is.

Why do they fcking need to change it at all.

Farrandeelin

I was looking forward to laughing at Galway down in Division 2. Now this.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Banty is some legend.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lemallon

Madness.  League was perfect as it was.  Dont anyone tell me it doesent matter.  4 teams in the semi finals are 4 division 1 teams next year. Everyone was taking it seriously and it had become an excelllent under rated competition.  Over time in the league every team finds their proper level and this is what had happened over the last few years.  One of the few things the Gaa had gotten right and they decide to ruin it.  Another nail in the coffin in the battle v rugby and soccer.

Dubh driocht

According to the Irish News, this proposal is to be debated next weekend at Croke Park so it doesn't seem like a done deal just yet.
How can we influence the decision ?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 13, 2011, 06:33:29 PM
According to the Irish News, this proposal is to be debated next weekend at Croke Park so it doesn't seem like a done deal just yet.
How can we influence the decision ?

Its crazy as the last 4 teams are all meant to be in Division 1 (proper division 1) next year along with last years Champions. Seems to me the league is letting the cream rise to the top naturally, so leave it be. Why do the likes of Galway deserve Division 1 status, Roscommon are a better team.