County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rudi on August 21, 2023, 08:20:06 PM
As expected Jim back, with bro in law Colm Anthony, Neil McGee & Luke Barret.

Division Two has become even more interesting now.

rodney trotter

A few big names on the Mayo U20 management. Leader Gardiner manager with James Horan, Keith Higgins, Ger Cafferkey in the backroom.
Ciaran McDonald coach of the Mayo minors n

yellowcard

What was the last 9 years about for Jimmy? Travelled, served numerous apprenticeships and educated himself yet couldn't make the breakthrough. That must be his soccer career finished now and I doubt if he'll ever have the same impact on Donegal second time around. He stole a march and introduced zonal, defensive football and revolutionised the sport into the bargain first time around. He'd probably argue he did what he had to do in order to be successful but I'd argue that the sport has never really recovered as a spectacle since.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 21, 2023, 09:18:51 PM
A few big names on the Mayo U20 management. Leader Gardiner manager with James Horan, Keith Higgins, Ger Cafferkey in the backroom.
Ciaran McDonald coach of the Mayo minors n

Name that stands out. Interesting that he'd returned to inter county management so soon but not as manager.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

Good to see Mc Guinness back. Looking forward to see what he'll do with Donegal.

If you're a DG player, it's got to be a boost.

Good for GAA fans.

AustinPowers

Quote from: yellowcard on August 21, 2023, 09:38:04 PM
What was the last 9 years about for Jimmy? Travelled, served numerous apprenticeships and educated himself yet couldn't make the breakthrough. That must be his soccer career finished now and I doubt if he'll ever have the same impact on Donegal second time around. He stole a march and introduced zonal, defensive football and revolutionised the sport into the bargain first time around. He'd probably argue he did what he had to do in order to be successful but I'd argue that the sport has never really recovered as a spectacle since.

Bringing players back  behind the ball was nothing  new.  Plus , Donegal were more battacking in 2012.

Let's face it ,  Donegal won the All Ireland , and were a kick of a ball from winning another.  Did  Donegal fans care? I wouldn't  imagine so. There's  probably 29 or 30 counties in Ireland  crying out for  a bit of  success , and would have gladly  taken the success  that McGuinness brought  to Donegal , regardless of  tactics

seafoid

There could be another All Ireland going for Donegal over the next while with   the Dubs fading and Kerry beatable. You have to win at the right time. That's the secret of Zen football.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mrdeeds

If people think that Donegal team that beat Mayo in final and Dublin was defensive well holy god.

The Trap

I am glad to see Jim back with Donegal.....they will be as good as they can be!
I would imagine he will join the £100k a year bracket that would currently include Harte, McGeeney, Tally.
Over £50k would be McEntee Antrim and McEntee Sligo, McConville, Devlin at Louth etc.......
Though clubs are paying massive amounts now too.
Between county and club, football and hurling I would imagine the brown bag economy is around the 200 million a year mark.......that's probably more money than swirling around all of the professional sports in Ireland put together!

tbrick18

Quote from: The Trap on August 23, 2023, 01:31:11 PM
I would imagine he will join the £100k a year bracket that would currently include Harte, McGeeney, Tally.
Over £50k would be McEntee Antrim and McEntee Sligo, McConville, Devlin at Louth etc.......
Between county and club, football and hurling I would imagine the brown bag economy is around the 200 million a year mark.......that's probably more money than swirling around all of the professional sports in Ireland put together!

Is there seriously that kind of money going around for county managers?
I'm shocked....I'd always thought when I heard these figures of 50-60K that they were exaggerated and that the amount was shared between the entire management team.
But 100K for a manager! Good god almighty. I must start going to these coaching courses I keep avoiding  ;D

Jim Bob

Mmmmm...... Logan & Dooher ?

The Trap

Well Jim would have to give up an awful lot to be Donegal manager and its not a very secure job.......the backroom boys would be getting a bit as well......maybe £25k each
Same everywhere though.......but sure they deserve it for the amount of time involved

screenexile

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 23, 2023, 01:53:10 PM

The 2 boys have fairly successful careers outside the GAA I wouldn't imagine they are getting that kind of money for taking Tyrone.

Is Tally getting £100k to go to Kerry as defensive coach? I wouldn't have thought so. I'd have thought more the £50k bracket for that one.

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: screenexile on August 23, 2023, 03:01:34 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on August 23, 2023, 01:53:10 PM

The 2 boys have fairly successful careers outside the GAA I wouldn't imagine they are getting that kind of money for taking Tyrone.

Is Tally getting £100k to go to Kerry as defensive coach? I wouldn't have thought so. I'd have thought more the £50k bracket for that one.

Think these numbers are exagerated. These things are all rumours and speculation to those outside the inner circles of county boards but had heard from well connected people in Armagh that McGeeney was £50K+ which is a decent salary all right but when you consider the hours involved and try and compare it to the corporate world, he'd be on far more if he was managing a team of individuals of that size and operating at the top end of a particular sector. I'm sure Harte and Devlin at Louth are on a healthy amount too, given they are full time at management/coaching gig as far as i know, i appreciate Mickey would be beyond retirement age anyway at this stage.

Of course, the questions goes back to whether they should be getting paid at all, but i don't see how anyone would take on that responsibility for nothing. The exception probably being Dooher and Logan but they are different in that they have obvious successful careers outside the GAA and i doubt very much if either takes anything beyond their fuel expenses. Different for the likes of 'career' managers like McGeeney. Does anyone know what he did before he went full time into management?

lenny

I'd say Harte is on more than that. There's no way he took a pay cut to go to Louth.