Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Cheers Balinaman, hopefully It holds up as I was really looking forward to it. Your advice makes sense as I felt the 'pull' when making a sharp run into space. I have never had any trouble with the hamstring but as a 33 year old making a move towards playing some reserve football perhaps the aul body wasn't too pleased!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: ballinaman on March 26, 2018, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 26, 2018, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 23, 2018, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 23, 2018, 02:15:45 PM
Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2018, 01:45:39 PM
I've tried and failed in the past to get sub 20 for 5k. Best time was 20.17 over a year ago

I've decided to try again and have been doing some speed work as well as longer runs but my question was what should I be aiming for on repeat runs of 800m in terms of time.

I have been doing 8 x 400m recently and my speed is between 1.28 - 1.20 with 40sec break between.

Any tips?
muscle endurance is a big thing

you need to do some weight training to allow the legs sustain a higher pace over the whole 5K
Don't know about that. I'd forgo a gym session in favor of running if it's an either or...
you can do lunges (forward or back - alternate), split squats,  single leg deadlifts, side lunges, single leg bridging etc
single leg work is very good for improving imbalances in the lower body and also activating the glutes more
look into glute band exercises
Full disclosure, I've a fair idea of the rationale behind strength training and distance running. Personal opinion , a person would get better bang for their buck by running instead of a gym seession...if they want to improve their running. If they have the ability to do both....fire away absolutely.
yes, but you do both and you add in flexbility sessions as well.
improved mobility can be a big factor in improving your ability to train and recover and therefore your times

ballinaman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 26, 2018, 05:11:41 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 26, 2018, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 26, 2018, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 23, 2018, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 23, 2018, 02:15:45 PM
Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2018, 01:45:39 PM
I've tried and failed in the past to get sub 20 for 5k. Best time was 20.17 over a year ago

I've decided to try again and have been doing some speed work as well as longer runs but my question was what should I be aiming for on repeat runs of 800m in terms of time.

I have been doing 8 x 400m recently and my speed is between 1.28 - 1.20 with 40sec break between.

Any tips?
muscle endurance is a big thing

you need to do some weight training to allow the legs sustain a higher pace over the whole 5K
Don't know about that. I'd forgo a gym session in favor of running if it's an either or...
you can do lunges (forward or back - alternate), split squats,  single leg deadlifts, side lunges, single leg bridging etc
single leg work is very good for improving imbalances in the lower body and also activating the glutes more
look into glute band exercises
Full disclosure, I've a fair idea of the rationale behind strength training and distance running. Personal opinion , a person would get better bang for their buck by running instead of a gym seession...if they want to improve their running. If they have the ability to do both....fire away absolutely.
yes, but you do both and you add in flexbility sessions as well.
improved mobility can be a big factor in improving your ability to train and recover and therefore your times
Absolutely can help and definitely won't do any harm.

In my personal opinion , I think there is a tendency these days to spend too much flapping around looking for the 1%ers and extras instead of doing the main thing well!

gerry

I hope to do the omagh 1\2 in two weeks and can't wait until it's over as I hate this fecking running game, fair play to all you marathon guys.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Targetman

I've recently had surgery to repair a torn cartilage and can't wait to get back on the road again, did the Dublin marathon 2 years ago but have been advised to stick to shorter distances, would you more experienced runners concur with this? I'd love to give it another crack!!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Targetman on March 26, 2018, 10:36:06 PM
I've recently had surgery to repair a torn cartilage and can't wait to get back on the road again, did the Dublin marathon 2 years ago but have been advised to stick to shorter distances, would you more experienced runners concur with this? I'd love to give it another crack!!
ease your way back in on softer surfaces

building up the leg muscles strength wise will take some pressure off the joints

Targetman

Oh I'll definitely be easing back into it, don't want to push it too hard, surgery doesn't come cheap, thanks for advice

manfromdelmonte

remember, slow miles are better than no miles

imtommygunn

May or may not interest anyone... Paula Radcliffe is doing the laganside 10k in belfast in September.

Missed your post targetman. Laps of pitches for a while. Ballinaman would be able to advise better on the distances but i suspect lots of ones do marathons with similar though no expert.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2018, 09:21:37 AM
May or may not interest anyone... Paula Radcliffe is doing the laganside 10k in belfast in September.

Missed your post targetman. Laps of pitches for a while. Ballinaman would be able to advise better on the distances but i suspect lots of ones do marathons with similar though no expert.

Will give that a go! Will be a popular run with her in it.. It can be very windy down there , but it's flat!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah it's a good fast 10k. Nowhere near sellout yet but wouldn't leave it too late with her in it.

Most races up here sell out these days.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2018, 09:49:00 AM
Yeah it's a good fast 10k. Nowhere near sellout yet but wouldn't leave it too late with her in it.

Most races up here sell out these days.

Was my fastest 10k I think.. 42 mins
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Only problem is it's the same day as the hurling final!

Targetman

. Cheers, just following advice from physio who doesn't recommend another marathon, but I'm not ruling it out, just doing exercises and a bit on the bike at the minute

ballinaman

Quote from: Targetman on April 02, 2018, 06:07:09 PM

. Cheers, just following advice from physio who doesn't recommend another marathon, but I'm not ruling it out, just doing exercises and a bit on the bike at the minute
Play it by year and build slowly and see how you respond.
Bike, cross trainer, grass, tartan track , road. 10% rule, no more than a 10% increase in mileage from one week to the next.
Every Physio is subject to bias remember , one who doesn't particularly enjoy running might advise against...while I would try every avenue of approach to get a runner back.