Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: trailer on January 03, 2024, 12:29:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 03, 2024, 11:54:45 AMTrimming the wage bill would be the smart thing to do. It's astronomical and very problematic going forward trying to sign players and build a squad. There's already debt of 1bn on the books and I'd say they're sailing very close to FFP breaches.

Only problem with that is it leaves them a bit in football limbo for a few years if they take that approach. Would have to accept being outside top 4/5 for a few years if they're genuinely prepared to cut back. You might ask how's that's any different to now but there's still the hope that they sign big, get in a big manager and glamour their way back to the big time. A pragmatic bread and water approach could have massive terrace backlash. Football mobs are not famous for their patience. 

Another approach could be to get in a different manager, try to work with some of the "flops and outcasts", get them playing again and either go forward with that or at least have more higher value assets for the shop window.

I think fans need to be realistic. Utd are at least 4 transfer windows away from getting some sort of squad. If that meant a squad that could challenge then that's probably acceptable.
Changing the Manager hasn't worked the last 4 or 5 times they tried it. Think it is time for a clear-out of playing staff.
That's fine if you're playing championship manager on the PC but realistically you're writing off hundreds of millions in assets and wages. I'll not pretend to be privy to Utd's books but that could be easier said than done.

If they hit on a "good fit" manager, he could realistically salvage 100+m in transfers fees readily enough if he gets a tune out of underperforming players, and God knows what else in wages that don't need to be written off, or at least less of a write off. It's a route they'll have to give serious thought to and most likely go with.

Changing managers hasn't worked but that's normal enough. They need to keep trying, identify a good one or get lucky. Signing new players is no guarantee either. I still say a lot of the mess they find themselves in stems from the Sanchez signing. Drove all mad about the place, melted Pogba's head and got any agent for every future signing ringing wet.

trailer

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 03, 2024, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 03, 2024, 12:29:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 03, 2024, 11:54:45 AMTrimming the wage bill would be the smart thing to do. It's astronomical and very problematic going forward trying to sign players and build a squad. There's already debt of 1bn on the books and I'd say they're sailing very close to FFP breaches.

Only problem with that is it leaves them a bit in football limbo for a few years if they take that approach. Would have to accept being outside top 4/5 for a few years if they're genuinely prepared to cut back. You might ask how's that's any different to now but there's still the hope that they sign big, get in a big manager and glamour their way back to the big time. A pragmatic bread and water approach could have massive terrace backlash. Football mobs are not famous for their patience. 

Another approach could be to get in a different manager, try to work with some of the "flops and outcasts", get them playing again and either go forward with that or at least have more higher value assets for the shop window.

I think fans need to be realistic. Utd are at least 4 transfer windows away from getting some sort of squad. If that meant a squad that could challenge then that's probably acceptable.
Changing the Manager hasn't worked the last 4 or 5 times they tried it. Think it is time for a clear-out of playing staff.
That's fine if you're playing championship manager on the PC but realistically you're writing off hundreds of millions in assets and wages. I'll not pretend to be privy to Utd's books but that could be easier said than done.

If they hit on a "good fit" manager, he could realistically salvage 100+m in transfers fees readily enough if he gets a tune out of underperforming players, and God knows what else in wages that don't need to be written off, or at least less of a write off. It's a route they'll have to give serious thought to and most likely go with.

Changing managers hasn't worked but that's normal enough. They need to keep trying, identify a good one or get lucky. Signing new players is no guarantee either. I still say a lot of the mess they find themselves in stems from the Sanchez signing. Drove all mad about the place, melted Pogba's head and got any agent for every future signing ringing wet.

Yeah I agree it is easier said than done. Can't disagree with anything you've said.
Utds first foray into the transfer market after Ferguson and Gill had left was to sign Felaini in a rushed deadline day deal. It was obvious the recruitment team didn't know what they were doing and signed a player Moyes used to get gallant 1-1 draws at Everton. Proved there and then that Moyes hadn't a clue what he was doing either.
Recruitment didn't get any better from there.

Cunny Funt

Sky Sports News had a segment on Varane on that he is to leave Manchester United because he needs to "cement his place in the France squad for the upcoming Euros".   The same Varane that retired from international duty after the World Cup!
An hour later they've re-recorded the segment with no mention of France.

Just one example of the type of poor English media reporting with their so called "sources"

seafoid

If Liverpool win this year or in the next decade  they will catch up with Man Utd on the Roll of Honour. Another win and they would knock Man Utd off their f*****g perch (copyright A Ferguson).The likelihood of Man Utd fighting back is homeopathic.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2024, 05:33:27 PMIf Liverpool win this year or in the next decade  they will catch up with Man Utd on the Roll of Honour. Another win and they would knock Man Utd off their f*****g perch (copyright A Ferguson).The likelihood of Man Utd fighting back is homeopathic.

I think as long as Man City have the Oil Money, Man Utd won't have to worry about that.

Then again City have won 7 out of the last 12, in 20 years they could be the Kingpins.  :-\

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 03, 2024, 10:38:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 03, 2024, 05:33:27 PMIf Liverpool win this year or in the next decade  they will catch up with Man Utd on the Roll of Honour. Another win and they would knock Man Utd off their f*****g perch (copyright A Ferguson).The likelihood of Man Utd fighting back is homeopathic.

I think as long as Man City have the Oil Money, Man Utd won't have to worry about that.

Then again City have won 7 out of the last 12, in 20 years they could be the Kingpins.  :-\
City need at least 2 separate iterations to catch up.

Chelsea couldn't keep going for 20 years.

trailer

There's a day of reckoning coming for City and their FFP breaches. I expect them to be stripped of a few titles and relegated. That should cut the legs from under them for a while.

AustinPowers

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2024, 01:31:36 PM

There's a day of reckoning coming for City and their FFP breaches. I expect them to be stripped of a few titles and relegated. That should cut the legs from under them for a while.

I'd love to see  City get a Rangers style relegation.  Down  to the 4th tier, at least.

Ain't going to  happen though

trailer

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 04, 2024, 01:35:25 PM

I'd love to see  City get a Rangers style relegation.  Down  to the 4th tier, at least.

It's an independent body so I wouldn't rule it out. Suspension and Expulsion are possible sanctions under the PL rules.

gawa316

"We are talking with Rapha Varane and Anthony Martial, and we triggered the options on Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof and Hannibal Mejbri", Ten Hag says.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on January 04, 2024, 01:39:02 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on January 04, 2024, 01:35:25 PM

It's an independent body so I wouldn't rule it out. Suspension and Expulsion are possible sanctions under the PL rules.
Money talks. They need roaded for sure. Bastids.

Armagh18

Quote from: gawa316 on January 04, 2024, 06:00:07 PM"We are talking with Rapha Varane and Anthony Martial, and we triggered the options on Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof and Hannibal Mejbri", Ten Hag says.
Varane is class but made of paper. Be alright there on half the coin but that ain't happening. AWB isn't great but theres other upgrades needed first. Has his uses. Lindelof is flaky as f**k but be ok as squad player on small money. 

Whoever is extending Martial needs sacked.

AustinPowers

the only talking they should be doing  about martial's contract is , "we're cancelling it, now feck off!"

If he gets a  new contract ,  well... I don't know  :o

snoopdog

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 04, 2024, 06:58:53 PMthe only talking they should be doing  about martial's contract is , "we're cancelling it, now feck off!"

If he gets a  new contract ,  well... I don't know  :o

Supposedly he is a favourite of Joel Glazer. Shows their knowledge or interest in football.

Armagh18

The lad has or had anyway talent to burn. But his attitude stinks and he strikes me as one of those flaky players that reckon their injured more than they actually are. One thing Ferguson could do was judge not only a players football ability but his attitude/mentality as well.

Too many fancy boys who've never actually proven anything and not enough grafters willing to do the work in that squad.