Mandatory covid 19 vaccination

Started by grounded, November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Covid 19 vaccination(s) become mandatory by law in Ireland(North and South)?

Yes
45 (50%)
No
45 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: November 24, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2021, 11:33:23 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 29, 2021, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: sligoman on November 29, 2021, 10:40:54 AM
Vaccination has been sold to people as a way to get back to normal & that's why it hasn't worked, it doesn't stop transmission & infection. If you behave as you did pre Covid then you're going to get it & pass it on whether you're vaccinated or not. I've learned that personally, I'm fully vaccinated & attended a wedding a number of weeks back where our table had a break out with all of us bar 1 getting it, all of us were fully vaccinated.

I think this focus on the unvaccinated is a way to deflect from failings from politicians & health officials.

Yep. As I said already the unvaccinated are a risk to themselves and hospital capacity  but the vaccinated have similar viral loads to those of the unvaccinated. The vaccine lowers risk slightly of passing it on but lowers risk of getting sick more significantly

So by lowering it can only be a good thing?

Yes, but I dont think its strong enough to warrant mandatory vaccination

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 29, 2021, 11:39:10 AM
Vaccination has been sold to people as a way to get back to normal & that's why it hasn't worked, it doesn't stop transmission & infection. If you behave as you did pre Covid then you're going to get it & pass it on whether you're vaccinated or not. I've learned that personally, I'm fully vaccinated & attended a wedding a number of weeks back where our table had a break out with all of us bar 1 getting it, all of us were fully vaccinated.

I think this focus on the unvaccinated is a way to deflect from failings from politicians & health officials.

Yep. As I said already the unvaccinated are a risk to themselves and hospital capacity  but the vaccinated have similar viral loads to those of the unvaccinated. The vaccine lowers risk slightly of passing it on but lowers risk of getting sick more significantly

So you'd rather the hospitals were full of people that are not vaccinated and becoming ill and bringing the NHS down ...

BTW I also clicked no on the mandatory vaccine, I rather they take it for the right reasons
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2021, 11:43:09 AM

So you'd rather the hospitals were full of people that are not vaccinated and becoming ill and bringing the NHS down ...

BTW I also clicked no on the mandatory vaccine, I rather they take it for the right reasons

No id rather they upgraded the NHS

general_lee

I don't think this is the case at all, maybe in the 26 they've been telling the public things will be back to normal once everyone is vaccinated but it hasn't really been the case in the north. The message I've got is to continue on with mask-wearing, sanitising etc.

Too many people have disregarded this, as an anecdotal example I was in Edinburgh last weekend and in all the bars, shops etc there was mask wearing, track and trace, sanitising on every bar/restaurant table. Same with Glasgow when I was last over, the Scots just get on with it. Out in Belfast over the weekend and it was like night and day. People either not wearing a mask or wearing it round their chin, women reluctant to wear it incase it wrecks their make up, men just being ignorant. My favourite was two glammed up girls with the exemption lanyards on but no actual ID attached! Then you have those clampets stood outside city hall, including that glipe gym owner from Newry front and centre calling people Nazis... not a virologist nor a medical degree among them but I bet they'd not say no to a hospital bed should they or one of their loved ones take bad with COVID...

sligoman

Quote from: general_lee on November 29, 2021, 12:10:23 PM

I don't think this is the case at all, maybe in the 26 they've been telling the public things will be back to normal once everyone is vaccinated but it hasn't really been the case in the north. The message I've got is to continue on with mask-wearing, sanitising etc.

Too many people have disregarded this, as an anecdotal example I was in Edinburgh last weekend and in all the bars, shops etc there was mask wearing, track and trace, sanitising on every bar/restaurant table. Same with Glasgow when I was last over, the Scots just get on with it. Out in Belfast over the weekend and it was like night and day. People either not wearing a mask or wearing it round their chin, women reluctant to wear it incase it wrecks their make up, men just being ignorant. My favourite was two glammed up girls with the exemption lanyards on but no actual ID attached! Then you have those clampets stood outside city hall, including that glipe gym owner from Newry front and centre calling people Nazis... not a virologist nor a medical degree among them but I bet they'd not say no to a hospital bed should they or one of their loved ones take bad with COVID...

Not sure if you're aware of how things are down south but things are still heavily restricted. Covid passports everywhere, limits on indoor gatherings, social distancing in place, table service, mass uptake of vaccination, compliance with masks very high etc & Covid is still rampant. I guess my position now is that it's going to be rampant as long as things are opened up somewhat, where people are mixing it will spread no matter what precautions you take. You make the comparison between the north & Scotland & how the attitude & approaches are different but from my reading the results in terms of case numbers, hospital numbers, deaths etc are remarkably similar so what has the different attitude in Scotland actually achieved? Whatever approach you take the virus seems to spread. I'm just worried that those in power have no long term strategy here & actually have no idea what they are at.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 29, 2021, 12:03:14 PM

How soon is that going to happen? there will be another pandemic before that cluster f**k is fixed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: sligoman on November 29, 2021, 12:28:22 PM

Not sure if you're aware of how things are down south but things are still heavily restricted. Covid passports everywhere, limits on indoor gatherings, social distancing in place, table service, mass uptake of vaccination, compliance with masks very high etc & Covid is still rampant. I guess my position now is that it's going to be rampant as long as things are opened up somewhat, where people are mixing it will spread no matter what precautions you take. You make the comparison between the north & Scotland & how the attitude & approaches are different but from my reading the results in terms of case numbers, hospital numbers, deaths etc are remarkably similar so what has the different attitude in Scotland actually achieved? Whatever approach you take the virus seems to spread. I'm just worried that those in power have no long term strategy here & actually have no idea what they are at.

And yous added in extra ICU capacity-Stormont menawhile..........

sligoman

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 29, 2021, 12:50:29 PM
Quote from: sligoman on November 29, 2021, 12:28:22 PM

And yous added in extra ICU capacity-Stormont menawhile..........

Did we?

They borrowed some from the private hospitals at the start (at enormous expense) but I don't think they added any permanent ICU beds.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2021, 12:43:21 PM

How soon is that going to happen? there will be another pandemic before that cluster f**k is fixed

I would say it won't be fixed in our lifetimes. There are serious moves going on by the tories to privatise it. To have any hope the tories need to go and that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2021, 01:23:18 PM

I would say it won't be fixed in our lifetimes. There are serious moves going on by the tories to privatise it. To have any hope the tories need to go and that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.

So lets (until it ever happens) follow the guidelines as best we can, and reduce the impact it has on the NHS. how anyone thinks throwing money at it will actually fix it... its problems are far deeper than money

Rossfan

We did increase our public ICU capacity,  around 25 extra I think.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rossfan on November 29, 2021, 02:06:22 PM
We did increase our public ICU capacity,  around 25 extra I think.

That's right, up here is what you will get down there with SF.
Oops that's right Westminster control the budget.
Oh wait that's right sure what's the point going to Westminster?
Oh wait to get abortion pushed through when it suits maybe?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2021, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2021, 01:23:18 PM

So lets (until it ever happens) follow the guidelines as best we can, and reduce the impact it has on the NHS. how anyone thinks throwing money at it will actually fix it... its problems are far deeper than money

The staff levels are ridiculous then throwing money at agency staff is wasting money. Why won't they review why they can't get staff? Then they did brexit and lost a lot of foreign workers who were probably propping the thing up. It's just a massive list of issues that would take a long time and - and this is the biggest problem with politicians etc - a desire to fix.

the pandemic is not specifically about protecting NHS. Raw stats etc mean if the thing got out of control no health service could cater for it. We just happen to have a weaker health service than most (north and south it would seem but north probably moreso).  The conspiracy theorists who think it is a cover up for the NHS need to maybe think wider and look at Austria and such places - almost all health services have creaked under this.

I have a toddler. The restrictions make little difference to my house and like most with children the biggest risk is the child(ren) bringing something into the house. (It did happen).

Gmac

Quote from: grounded on November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM
Given Austria's position I thought it would be interesting to see how board members would vote here. Thanks
             A mandatory vaccination scheme is where you are required by law to get vaccinated and face punishment if you do not do so. Those refusing vaccines are likely to face administrative fines which can be converted into a prison sentence if the fine is not recovered.
this should now read mandatory vaccines
Can we renew thread for every new variant that escapes the previous vaccine .
Don't worry though Pfizer say they are good to go in 100 days .

armaghniac

Quote from: Gmac on November 30, 2021, 03:02:18 PM
Quote from: grounded on November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM
Given Austria's position I thought it would be interesting to see how board members would vote here. Thanks
             A mandatory vaccination scheme is where you are required by law to get vaccinated and face punishment if you do not do so. Those refusing vaccines are likely to face administrative fines which can be converted into a prison sentence if the fine is not recovered.
this should now read mandatory vaccines
Can we renew thread for every new variant that escapes the previous vaccine .
Don't worry though Pfizer say they are good to go in 100 days .

You do the responsible thing that needs to be done, if that requires other boosters or whatever then that is what it is.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B