People you admire

Started by armaghniac, May 20, 2021, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

As a Liverpool fan I have no problem saying Marcus Rashford. Has gave  half of his wages to charity and seems very sincere about his concerns for people less fortunate than himself.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

From the Bunker

Quote from: michaelg on May 22, 2021, 11:25:35 AM
People who give up their free time to coach kids' sports teams.  Heathcare workers too - Had an operation a few years back and the elvel of care from every single person I encountered was amazing.  Teachers too, the vast maority of who always go the extra mile for benefit of their students.

Most do it to make sure their Son/Daughter gets sorted.

MK

For his considerable sporting achievements alone Jim Stynes(not the one on here ;)) was undoubtedly someone to be admired.

However, his determination and endless drive whilst  battling serious health issues clearly marks him out as one-off and a true inspiration.

bennydorano

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 22, 2021, 03:59:45 PM
People who give up their free time to coach kids' sports teams.  Heathcare workers too - Had an operation a few years back and the elvel of care from every single person I encountered was amazing.  Teachers too, the vast maority of who always go the extra mile for benefit of their students.

The cycnic in me was thinking exactly the same, but there are some there through thick & thin with no direct family connections.

From the Bunker

Quote from: bennydorano on May 22, 2021, 06:13:05 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 22, 2021, 03:59:45 PM

The cycnic in me was thinking exactly the same, but there are some there through thick & thin with no direct family connections.

The older year of the my young lads group has 7 (yes Seven coaches). Every second year we are exposed to them. All are fathers of players. That's 7 places gone before a ball is kicked. To be fair none of the players are useless and well worth their place. The problem is there is biased agendas.

It's so hard to get volunteers and impossible to get genetically impartial volunteers.

On top of this, like many rural clubs - you get families that have huge influence within the club. Their kids will always have a better chance.

Rois

Fr Peter McVerry
Paul McCusker, Belfast SDLP and soup kitchen coordinator

The poor souls standing with SVP boxes outside mass, week in, week out, rain or shine.

ardtole

Fr Peter McVerry a very good suggestion.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ardtole on May 22, 2021, 08:44:14 PM
Fr Peter McVerry a very good suggestion.

Yes he is but unfortunately the charity has become a parody of charities.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on May 22, 2021, 08:40:06 PM
Fr Peter McVerry
Paul McCusker, Belfast SDLP and soup kitchen coordinator

The poor souls standing with SVP boxes outside mass, week in, week out, rain or shine.
Throw Colin and Eithne Bell into the mix.

imtommygunn

That is a good shout. Those bells are fantastic people. To take such a tragic event in your life and to turn it into something that provides so much help to others is something else. They deserve massive respect.

6th sam

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 22, 2021, 10:15:41 PM
That is a good shout. Those bells are fantastic people. To take such a tragic event in your life and to turn it into something that provides so much help to others is something else. They deserve massive respect.
Incredible charity borne out of massive personal tragedy. Enormous help to grieving families

michaelg

Quote from: 6th sam on May 23, 2021, 12:36:11 AM
Incredible charity borne out of massive personal tragedy. Enormous help to grieving families
Amazing folk who's charity helped my family after the death of a family member overseas.  Lovely too that they won the Lotto (Or lottery?) and my understanding is that they used the money to help their charity, which again speaks volumes about the kind ot people that they are are.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: michaelg on May 23, 2021, 12:44:38 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on May 23, 2021, 12:36:11 AM
Amazing folk who's charity helped my family after the death of a family member overseas.  Lovely too that they won the Lotto (Or lottery?) and my understanding is that they used the money to help their charity, which again speaks volumes about the kind ot people that they are are.

Yes that's correct. Proud to say that the club I am now involved in don't have a club sponsor on the jersey, we have the KBRT Trust as our 'sponsor'. A portion of all jersey sales goes to the charity. Shameless plug!!!

http://wolfetonesgaa.ie/KBRT-Jersey/?fbclid=IwAR2QwQFg4Phw1zLOKx4YPJBMkBdr4SlQeKB-Tvx4y93WjQPN8KVHjmHJCao

Milltown Row2

Good man BC1, hopefully I'll get a run out at the Valley
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2021, 10:03:22 PM
Good man BC1, hopefully I'll get a run out at the Valley

Funny I was wondering would I see you!  We play our home games in the SW in Jordanstown.  I'm over round Woodlands too with the Masters so ye never know!!