Andrew Shore suspension -is it justified?

Started by Roashter, February 06, 2015, 10:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roashter

Why did an inter-county hurler travel over to England to play in what is effectively a junior club tournament?

I have to admit that I wasn't aware that you could simply transfer to a club for say a weekend or week. Surely this goes against the spirit of playing for a club. The fact that there were a number of other players suspended out of this would indicate that guys were not simply playing in this tournament for the love of the club/game.
The 48 weeks for Shore does sound excessive and I think this is so because his "illegal" transfer is deemed inter-county as opposed to inter-club.

Personally I don't have much sympathy for Shore, and really hope that the GAA don't overturn the ban just because he is inter-county standard.

Am I being overly harsh here?

johnneycool

Quote from: Roashter on February 06, 2015, 10:05:24 AM
Why did an inter-county hurler travel over to England to play in what is effectively a junior club tournament?

I have to admit that I wasn't aware that you could simply transfer to a club for say a weekend or week. Surely this goes against the spirit of playing for a club. The fact that there were a number of other players suspended out of this would indicate that guys were not simply playing in this tournament for the love of the club/game.
The 48 weeks for Shore does sound excessive and I think this is so because his "illegal" transfer is deemed inter-county as opposed to inter-club.

Personally I don't have much sympathy for Shore, and really hope that the GAA don't overturn the ban just because he is inter-county standard.

Am I being overly harsh here?

I don't think you are. He really should know better and whilst Liam Dunne is right to say you can take lumps off someone and get something like a 2 game ban, I think there needs to be punative punishment for the club officers involved as that'll prevent them trying it again, just like the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon illegal players!

nrico2006

Its a disgrace that someone gets a 48 week ban for this, headbutt someone and you get a portion of that. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Roashter

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 06, 2015, 10:28:44 AM
Its a disgrace that someone gets a 48 week ban for this, headbutt someone and you get a portion of that.

I agree that 48 weeks is very harsh, especially considering that it can be classed as an administration error with filling in form incorrectly (whether intentionally or not). Also, whether players are getting sufficiently punished for on-field transgressions is not the issue here.

The fact that an inter-county hurler decided to transfer his club allegiance temporarily so that he could play in a tournament in the UK is what baffles me. If he was moving to the UK for work/college for a few months then fair enough, but this does not appear to be the case in this scenario.

manfromdelmonte

Roashter

I think there were 8 in total suspended.

Shore and another fella (I think from Antrim) both play for Parnells in Dublin and both transferred to the club "illegally" and because they were inter-county they both got 12 months.

As far as I know the rest of the 6 were all based in England and got smaller suspensions as it was deemed inter-club. Not sure of the ban length, but think it was something like 8 weeks.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Roashter

Not sure of where he's from, but his name is Brendan Quinn.
Below is a good article on the case from yesterday's independent.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/andrew-shore-may-throw-himself-at-the-mercy-of-congress-30992926.html

Glensman

Quote from: Roashter on February 16, 2015, 05:42:17 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/andrew-shore-may-throw-himself-at-the-mercy-of-congress-30992926.html

Assume that is Nipper from Gorts.

All seems a bit of a farce and hopefully sense will prevail all round.

johnneycool

Quote from: Glensman on February 16, 2015, 10:15:35 PM
Quote from: Roashter on February 16, 2015, 05:42:17 PM

Assume that is Nipper from Gorts.

All seems a bit of a farce and hopefully sense will prevail all round.

Sense didn't prevail all those years ago with the Tony Keady affair. He and dozens of intercounty hurlers and footballers were boarding a plane on the Friday and back on the Monday with a few dollars in the hip pocket. He missed the whole year as well.

johnneycool

From GAA.ie

Wexford hurler Andrew Shore will be available to play football and hurling this year after his 48-week ban for playing with a club in Britain when registered with a club in Ireland was rescinded by the GAA's Reinstatement Committee at GAA Annual Congress in Cavan on Friday night.

Shore, formerly of Davidstown-Courtnacuddy, plays his club football and hurling with Parnells in Dublin, but was given a 48-week ban by the Warwickshire County Board last November for playing with Birmingham side Roger Casements in an All-Britain Junior Hurling Shield match when still registered with Parnells.

Shore's case was heard by the Reinstatement Committee of the GAA at Annual Congress on Friday night, and the decision to show him leniency means the talented 24-year-old will be available to Wexford manager Liam Dunne for the remainder of the 2015 season.

Will that same leniency be shown to all or just high profile intercounty stars?

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on March 04, 2015, 04:21:18 PM
From GAA.ie

Wexford hurler Andrew Shore will be available to play football and hurling this year after his 48-week ban for playing with a club in Britain when registered with a club in Ireland was rescinded by the GAA's Reinstatement Committee at GAA Annual Congress in Cavan on Friday night.

Shore, formerly of Davidstown-Courtnacuddy, plays his club football and hurling with Parnells in Dublin, but was given a 48-week ban by the Warwickshire County Board last November for playing with Birmingham side Roger Casements in an All-Britain Junior Hurling Shield match when still registered with Parnells.

Shore's case was heard by the Reinstatement Committee of the GAA at Annual Congress on Friday night, and the decision to show him leniency means the talented 24-year-old will be available to Wexford manager Liam Dunne for the remainder of the 2015 season.

Will that same leniency be shown to all or just high profile intercounty stars?

Very clever man. He went to the 'Reinstatement Committee'.

He wisely avoided the 'Ban him for 48 weeks anyway' Committee.
MWWSI 2017

Roashter

I'm not sure where I stand on this case.

On the one hand it was an extremely severe punishment for what appeared to be a simple paper work error.

On the flip side, there has to be serious sanctions to punish people who switch clubs illegally. Realistically, the main reasons for such severe sanctions is to prevent players getting illegally paid money to temporarily transfer clubs which was a common occurrence in the past 20/30 years or so with players playing under different names for American clubs etc. As far as I know, there is no mention of any payments in this case.

Shore himself comes out of this whole saga very badly.
1. It was strange to learn that an inter-county hurler of his ability would have chosen to transfer to Parnells when there are a large number of very good club hurling teams in Dublin. Parnells on the other hand are more noted as a football club, with a history of attracting a large number of non-Dublin inter-county footballers.
2. Shore transferred to Roger Casements of Coventry on a permanent transfer, however he is now back living in Dublin.