The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Was there not 3 new starts (or relatively new) for the France game in McCarthy, Crowley and Nash? Any team that transitions successfully replaces no more than 2 or 3 players per season, seems pretty textbook to me tbh.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

Quote from: bennydorano on February 12, 2024, 04:04:51 PMWas there not 3 new starts (or relatively new) for the France game in McCarthy, Crowley and Nash? Any team that transitions successfully replaces no more than 2 or 3 players per season, seems pretty textbook to me tbh.

That's probably the way it will go. The likes of Furlong, Lowe, Gibson Park, Aki will all be 35+ at the next World Cup so you'd think they'll be next in line to be replaced in the next year or two. Obviously they are all good enough at this stage to be in the starting line up.

Capt Pat

A straight forward win today with the bonus point secured in the end. The grand slam really does look on. I think only complacency can stop us.

Wildweasel74

Clock them up when u can,we all remember the times we won f**k all for so many years.

thewobbler

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 24, 2024, 08:25:54 PMClock them up when u can,we all remember the times we won f**k all for so many years.

Most of all, gloss over them  after a RWC QF defeat.

Nanderson

How unlucky for Italy. A kick at goal to win a 6 nations game against France in France for the first time in their history. Ball falls off the tee with 15 seconds on shot clock meeaning the ball had to be reset and rushed and the ball comes off the post

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nanderson on February 25, 2024, 04:53:24 PMHow unlucky for Italy. A kick at goal to win a 6 nations game against France in France for the first time in their history. Ball falls off the tee with 15 seconds on shot clock meeaning the ball had to be reset and rushed and the ball comes off the post
That ball wouldn't fall off the tee if correctly set. I remember one of their previous coaches saying they were going nowhere until they were more professional around nailing the fine details. It cost them.

Main Street

It's claimed that French players encroached upon the kicker therefore the ref should awarded another penalty.

toby47

Is Jack Crowley better atm, then Johnny Sexton when he first broke on to the team?

Obviously Sexton grew to a monster of a player. But who was best when first breaking onto the team?

HiMucker

In my own head from memory I think Crowley is definitely better than Sexton was at the same point in his career.

thewobbler

This is difficult to measure.

ROG had to spend 3-4 years pushing a resurgent David Humphreys out of the team before making the jersey his own.

Sexton had to spend 3-4 years pushing a dogged ROG out of the team before making the jersey his own.

By accident as much as anything else, Crowley has been given a clear run at the no.10 shirt just as he's about to hit his peak years.

Walter Cronc

Very hard to judge. Sexton was a late developer for sure. That probably helped him play on for so long! I just have a lingering fear Crowley hasn't the steely kicking ability to guide us beyond a WC 1/4 final. Longer term he's maybe a 12? Inside centre could be an issue in the next couple of years although Gavin in the U20s looks very good.

I also think we have a generational talent coming along in Sam Prendergast and no doubt the Munster led media will be pushing for Jack to stay in the 10 role as long as possible!

gallsman

Sexton was always good to miss a handy kick at goal or fail to find touch with a penalty early in his career. Crowley is doing rightly.

johnnycool

Quote from: gallsman on February 27, 2024, 11:37:32 AMSexton was always good to miss a handy kick at goal or fail to find touch with a penalty early in his career. Crowley is doing rightly.

Sextons biggest strength was also his weakness. He took the ball right up into contact to release other players, break the line, and got mullered over the years for it, his body took some batterings in the process.

Crowley is still learning but he needs to make the odd break or attempt the odd break to keep the opposition on their toes.
Don't get too one dimensional.

Kicking was good on Saturday but the pressure was off early on as it never looked like Wales could win that game.