The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

It's interesting that Liverpool fans are happy with that result. Any more slipups and Everton COULD be back in contention to make finishing 4th tricky. However, I don't think that will happen but they have Derby tomorrow.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AZOffaly

That's a tricky fixture out of the way though, and is a point gained when you consider the team sent out. Everton have both Chelsea and Arsenal as well, I think, so 3 points, with a far better goal difference (Assuming Everton win tomorrow) is still a decent position.

J70

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 05, 2008, 07:08:01 PM
It's interesting that Liverpool fans are happy with that result. Any more slipups and Everton COULD be back in contention to make finishing 4th tricky. However, I don't think that will happen but they have Derby tomorrow.

How the hell can a point away to Arsenal with team packed with backup players be considered a slip-up? ???

If Liverpool lose the champions league spot, it will certainly not be down to results such as today's.

Remaining fixtures:

Liverpool:

Blackburn (h)
Fulham (a)
Birmingham (a)
Man City (h)
Tottenham (a)

Everton:

Derby (h)
Birmingham (a)
Chelsea (h)
Villa (h)
Arsenal (a)
Newcastle (h)

AZOffaly

Liverpool still have to go to Chelsea don't they?

slow corner back

Liverpool and chelsea played out a soporific 0-0 at the bridge two months ago. By the way that makes four seasons of Rafa in charge without away win in the league against a top 4 club

Minder

Todays game reinforced a few things,Pennant should only play when we are resting players towards the end of this season when we have more important days out and he should be out the door in the summer. One time before he went off he lost the ball and then clutched his hamstring but was running freely twenty seconds later,he must be spending too much time with Kewell. Voronin should also be shown the door as he couldnt score in a whorehouse ( unlike wayne rooney ). Skrtel is slowly settling in,today he was just lumping the ball when necessary instead of thinking he is Franco Baresi,as has been the case.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stevo-08

Quote from: EC Unique on April 05, 2008, 06:10:15 PM
Great result for UTD. More or less counts Arsenal out of the League.

maybe not!!! great weekend for chelsea. means arsenal go into next sundays match with a glimmer of hope. and hopefully at that stage, it'll be the only competition left for arsenal  ;)

stevo-08

Quote from: Minder on April 05, 2008, 11:22:51 PM
One time before he went off he lost the ball and then clutched his hamstring but was running freely twenty seconds later

Pennant out for tonight's clash so maybe the injury was genuine after all  :o

What does everyone think the line up will be tonight. I'd like to see crouch on at some stage and I'd prefer to see Babel come off the bench, to run at the gunners when they're tiring. But in truth, I cant see rafa changing too much from the 1st leg - maybe carra back at cb to partner skrtel and either finnan/arbeloa at rb. I'd certainly welcome that change. and as for voronin, if he's even given the job of ballboy, that'd be too much responsibility for my liking!!!

AZOffaly

Is Voronin the only free transfer in history who represents a BAD buy? Woegeous.

Very unsure about tonight. I do have a soft spot for Arsenal and the way they play (It's at the bottom of my garden boom, boom), and so I think they will probably score. Can Liverpool score more than them?

I can't see a 0-0, but I'm fearful that that is exactly what Rafa is thinking.

Please not penalties.

Billys Boots

I think Rafa has been too careful - he may be proved right in the end, but I think Arsenal are more dangerous away from home.  I don't think the Liverpool midfield is tight enough to stop Arsenal making chances.  What's at issue is whether Arsenal can take their chances.  I agree with AZ - I think Rafa is looking for a 0-0 result; a brave move for a man not secure in his job.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stevo-08

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 08, 2008, 09:35:53 AM
I think Rafa has been too careful - he may be proved right in the end, but I think Arsenal are more dangerous away from home.  I don't think the Liverpool midfield is tight enough to stop Arsenal making chances.  What's at issue is whether Arsenal can take their chances.  I agree with AZ - I think Rafa is looking for a 0-0 result; a brave move for a man not secure in his job.

To be honest, my biggest worry is from set pieces. No doubt wenger will have a plan to exploit Liverpool's "weakness" in that area. Aresnal's midfield is very creative but lately look very tired so I think we should do ok there. Another big performance required from mascherano. And hopefully alonso will turn up for a change. Need somebody to take a hold in the midfield.

I dont necessarily believe Rafa is going for a 0-0. That would be very foolish. It'll definitely be a cautious approach but looking to score on the counter attack. As long as the counter attack doesnt involve reina & carragher launching scuds, then its a tactic that could work.

bingobus

Going to be a long night, I reckon. Very doubtful if we will hold them scoreless and can't approach game looking to do so. I actually expect Liverpool to blitz them early on with a high tempo and look for an early goal, much as we have done against Barca (didn't score but done everything but score), Chelsea, Juventus etc in the past.

Torres will get a couple of chances over the course of the game and will have to take one if not two. Arsenal delivery from set plays is very good and they have exploited tis twice over the last two games and will look to do so again. Need to be very careful not to give away silly frees in dangerous areas.

Still think tie is wide open but glad to have the away goal sorted.

stevo-08

Thats a good point bingobus. All our best performances in CL have been when we go at them early with high tempo. And with the fans behind them tonight, I think thats exactly the way they'll start.

But as you say, it's wide open and it could be a long night.

Gabriel_Hurl

Here's the Liverpool team:

Reina

Carragher    Skrtel      Hyypia     Aurelio

Mascherano        Alonso

Kuyt                                 Gerrard

Torres      Crouch

Itandje
Arbeloa
Riise
Lucas
Benayoun
Babel

Minder

I thought it was a bit nasty of itv to show Thomas scoring against us in 89. . . ."its up for grabs now" i dont think i will ever forget Brian Moores words !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"