Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Is it true they are building a monument to the 1000s of teachers that died during Covid so far. It has to be 1000s right given all the whingeing about the danger they were in.

What a shame their tactics to get off school all year, get more money by threatening strike and get preferential treatment on the vaccine all failed and mainly because public opinion was totally against them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: FermGael on May 29, 2021, 10:08:53 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2021, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 29, 2021, 07:13:45 AM
Nice wee lift in the pay slip. Danger money for working through covid.

Yes, teachers were in a lot of danger from January to March.

You have no idea.
Hero's one and all

Oh I have a very good idea! I seen first hand the work they did in national schools in the Republic. So did other parents. They may not be saying it to the teachers, but they sure as hell are saying it to one another.

Teachers lost a lot of respect in all of this.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2021, 09:49:52 AM

You have no idea.
Hero's one and all

Oh I have a very good idea! I seen first hand the work they did in national schools in the Republic. So did other parents. They may not be saying it to the teachers, but they sure as hell as saying it to one another.

It should be said there were many teachers that did great work to care for and help their kids. It's the ones that used this along with their union leaders (who are beneath contempt) that I have issue with. And again I am referring to South of the border.

Farrandeelin

You have no idea.
Hero's one and all

Oh I have a very good idea! I seen first hand the work they did in national schools in the Republic. So did other parents. They may not be saying it to the teachers, but they sure as hell are saying it to one another.

Say it to the principal if you've an issue with any teacher. The response first and foremost is the education of the children.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2021, 12:03:40 PM

You have no idea.
Hero's one and all

Say it to the principal if you've an issue with any teacher. The response first and foremost is the education of the children.

And what good would that do now? What would it solve?

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2021, 12:03:40 PM

You have no idea.
Hero's one and all

What would the principal do? I'm intrigued to know.

trailer

Has a teacher ever been sacked? Even those paedophile teachers weren't sacked they were promoted! Civil service. Ability doesn't matter it's all about time served.

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on May 30, 2021, 07:17:56 PM
Has a teacher ever been sacked? Even those paedophile teachers weren't sacked they were promoted! Civil service. Ability doesn't matter it's all about time served.

Do a quick Google search and it appears not, all I could find were some cases in the UK.. I asked that same question of an educational consultant who was working on a disciplinary case in a school close to me, she said in 30 years of dealing with school cases she'd never seen a teacher fired. So like I said,  what would a school principal actually do if you reported an incident to him/her.

Mikhail Prokhorov

unsackable.  30 year contracts ffs. once you have the job that's it.

tbrick18

I think it's slightly unfair to call out teachers specifically on the issue of being sacked.
This is the same scenario for the entire civil service.
They are all unioned up so even the crap can't be sacked.

Disclaimer: my wife is a teacher, I'm biased but she's one of those teachers that go above and beyond. School come before everything with her.

Disclaimer 2: in my own day job I quite often interact with civil servants. Some are useless, some are quite brilliant at their jobs.

Point I'm making is that there as some crap teachers and some crap civil servants, but also some really good ones.
The problem is with the system, it doesn't allow for those who are useless to be gotten rid of.

Tony Baloney

Swings and roundabouts. In the public sector, excellence is rarely rewarded as the shit and the good get the same increments etc. The private sector is and should be different - in my company if you are crap you get no pay rise but in the main it's a standard 3% increase per annum or up to 5 or 6% for people who pull the finger out.

Milltown Row2

Nearly that time to improve the golf handicap/ finish box sets/ watch Wimbledon/ update the cooking skills/ for our teaching lads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Loughshore2022

I have always found most teachers to be a farce. I remember they just made you read the textbook in class instead of actually teaching you. The only downside of that job is the marking at home but I suppose the summer holidays make up for that. I don't think you need to be particularly intelligent to be a teacher. My sister didn't get accepted into St Mary's Teaching College around 17 years ago and she has a PhD now.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 27, 2022, 07:58:48 PM
I have always found most teachers to be a farce. I remember they just made you read the textbook in class instead of actually teaching you. The only downside of that job is the marking at home but I suppose the summer holidays make up for that. I don't think you need to be particularly intelligent to be a teacher. My sister didn't get accepted into St Mary's Teaching College around 17 years ago and she has a PhD now.

I do my marking in school with the pupil beside me...

An Watcher

I get the feeling that alot of teachers feel they are above you because they are teachers.  I know they are not all like this but a PGCE and a degree shouldn't be giving anyone a superiority complex.  I always viewed teaching as a fall back that you could go into if you didn't get the grades you wanted?  Maybe it's just me!!