Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Recently took the step of going to the GP as something just isnt right in my head between anger, pissed off most of the time etc. etc.

Dont know if its depression or what.

Anyway he referred me as he said I needed to see a professional.

Got an appointment.......for next March. Jesus. And to think there are people worse off than me and they have to wait over 4 months to be seen

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Taylor on November 19, 2018, 02:37:23 PM
Recently took the step of going to the GP as something just isnt right in my head between anger, pissed off most of the time etc. etc.

Got an appointment.......for next March. Jesus. And to think there are people worse off than me and they have to wait over 4 months to be seen

I used to go running when I was angry and felt my head would explode.....a bit like Forrest Gump....just head off and see where I would end up.....it was great for getting rid of the anger. I understand your frustration about the wait to see a professional.....there are private counsellors available if you want to see someone sooner. Good man for taking the first step and best of luck.

paddyjohn

Good luck pal. Well done on taking that first step, its the hardest thing to do.

Eamonnca1

Fair play to you for taking the first step. Strikes me as a bit odd that they'd keep you waiting until March though, I'd have thought counsellors would be more available than that. As Bolt said, if you feel like you can't wait that long, look up private counsellors.  Might cost a wee bit of money but it could be well spent if it helps you out this side of winter.

Taylor

Cheers lads.

Tried that running lark. Goosed after a mile. Too fat  :P

Strange as it may seem (and I dont know how) I have found myself more relaxed simply because I have an appointment in March and there may be something that can be done.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Taylor on December 05, 2018, 12:39:25 PM
Cheers lads.

Tried that running lark. Goosed after a mile. Too fat  :P

Strange as it may seem (and I dont know how) I have found myself more relaxed simply because I have an appointment in March and there may be something that can be done.

As the saying goes.....the longest journey starts with the smallest step. Well done on getting out, keep it going....I'm 17 stone so no lightweight 😜. I regularly do 5k now so hope for us all.....and always feel a lot better after it. Keep talking👍

Eamonnca1

If you can't run, walk. Pick up the pace slightly each time, try to sprinkle in a few steps of running to get you going. Running's tough, it hurts the first few times you do it, but you can settle into it eventually. Even when I'm in shape and I've been training, I still find the first mile tough as hell until I settle into my stride.

paddyjohn

*Bump*

Christmas is hard for a lot of people, keep an eye for your family & friends.

The last month or 6 weeks have been hard for me, thankfully I'm getting through it.

It's good to talk folks.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 19, 2018, 07:00:07 PM
*Bump*

Christmas is hard for a lot of people, keep an eye for your family & friends.

The last month or 6 weeks have been hard for me, thankfully I'm getting through it.

It's good to talk folks.

Good man PJ, life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride. Keep talking.....especially to the kids....they make no judgement. The sun always comes up👍

Baile an tuaigh

My cousin's wife just died from this disease left three young children behind. No matter what happens at the end of the day every single one of us are fighting our own demons.

Boycey

You know what's great for the auld head, a dog... Their attention is
unconditional. I'm typing this sitting in a dark empty stand at the local football field as the dog potters about the seats. I value this walk every day, keeps me sane 😀 soon time to toddle home

paddyjohn

I read the story of Laura Burns in the paper last week, a young nurse who passed last week. 32 years old. Totally freaked me out, i used to hurl against her husband and knew him through work also.

Unreal, scary. We all have demons to fight. Keep talking folks.

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on December 19, 2018, 08:19:34 PM
unconditional. I'm typing this sitting in a dark empty stand at the local football field as the dog potters about the seats. I value this walk every day, keeps me sane 😀 soon time to toddle home

Never was one for dogs but I can see the value of one for some.

I find that swimming is great for me. Gives you time to work things out, bit of head space. No phones, tv, distractions. You've no choice but to switch off for an hour.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Boycey on December 19, 2018, 08:19:34 PM

Agree...my poor dog...she never talks back....always up for a walk...rain hail or snow.

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on December 19, 2018, 08:46:24 PM

I find that swimming is great for me. Gives you time to work things out, bit of head space. No phones, tv, distractions. You've no choice but to switch off for an hour.
Any form of exercise is great. If you find something you love doing it's even better. Running does it for me.
Certainly good to switch off for an hour or so whatever it is you like to do.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.