Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The only credible way forward is to appoint a subcommittee with the relevent expertise and experienceto research, interview and recommend a manager. three men. lets say paddy mo, paul mcgrane and brian mceniff.

Mc Enifff seems to have made a positive contibution to the Donegal managerial appointment.

Frank Casey

Quote from: orangeman on July 21, 2009, 11:02:59 PM
The only credible way forward is to appoint a subcommittee with the relevent expertise and experienceto research, interview and recommend a manager. three men. lets say paddy mo, paul mcgrane and brian mceniff.

Mc Enifff seems to have made a positive contibution to the Donegal managerial appointment.

They've done this in Cork a few times and do you see the trouble its caused where the sub-committee was not given the proper space to work in. You need knowledge, experience and independence.
KERRY 3:7

DuffleKing

So every county board official is a paragon of virtue, skilled worker and dedicated football man, just be holding a post?

in my experience, more county board men that not are there because they want the kudos and have the time.

As in most walks of life, the best men for the job are too busy.

Aoise

Quote from: thewobbler on July 21, 2009, 10:41:01 PM
Quotethey are just not football men. They do not know the game.
In my experience (having been involved in one), county board members are among the most dedicated followers of football you'll come across. Maybe in Armagh things are done differently, but I just don't see how someone could (or would want to) rise up the ranks without a passion bordering on vocational. This, I'll repeat, is simply disrespectful.

Wobbler, with all due respect, this may be the case in your county but its not the case in Armagh - full stop.  If I were to use one word to sum up our County board collectively it would be businessmen.  I'm not taking away from their administrative roles however, it has to be asked, what have these men done for their clubs prior to their County work and I'm not talking about all of them here, but for alot of them, if you ask their fellow club men what do they think of them as Gaels, they would laugh in your face. 
Again I stress this is not all of them, but the ones I know have received as much from the County as what they have put in - thats a fact!

brokencrossbar1

Lads, I have to say I am sorry to see Peter go as I think if he had been given time and made a few backroom changes then he could have been the difference.

As regards replacements, Geezer and Grimley will be going nowhere.  Too much time invested so far by them and too much money invested by others to let them go.  In regards to big name outsiders, forget it lads.  It is a recession at the minute if people hadn't realised and there is no way that a board as frugal as Armagh will stump up a 5 figure sum for someone like Boylan or McGrath to manage a team.  Maybe the M&M show may be a runner but they only do it for the love of the game :P

I think realistically the likes of either of the Rafferty's or McAlinden.  Can't see donal throwing his hat in the ring and even if he did the CB would not appoint him for fear he would play half the Cross team!!!  I reckon McAlinden with John Rafferty as his number 2.

BroJolly

Have to say following the Monaghan match I'm glad Peter resigned. Very frustrating last few weeks watching the likes of Donegal and Wicklow progressing to last 12 and we we never got started. I think most Armagh fans were prepared to give Peter a fair crack of the whip, but after the last match things looked like they were very much digressing.

I think the CB will take their time with this and it could take to October. After all, whats the rush? Personally, I'd like to see Geezer and Big Paul back with the likes of Marsden or McGrane involved. I think Brian McAlinden will be a strong candidate. He did a good job with U21s and thats where last manager came from. Would also like to see Liam McCorry involved in coaching role, but again he works with Ulster council so not sure where that fits in.

David McKeown

I would like to see McAlinden given the job again.  I dont think we have the squad to be challenging immediately but we do have a very young team and if they could be brought on properly then 2-3 years down the line I could see us in the top 4-6 teams in the country again.  McAlinden has proven in the past he can build teams like that
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

PatDaly

I posted this message back in early July and my opinion hasn't changed.

Quote from: PatDaly on July 06, 2009, 05:17:27 PM
I have to laugh at some of the Armagh posters here who suffer from serious short term memory loss. It wasn't that long ago after the 1 point defeat by Galway in 2001 that supporters were calling for the 2 Brian's to be axed as Armagh managers. Statements like "they can't bring us over the finishing line" were being thrown about at that time. Now the same "supporters" are asking for the 2 Brian's or at least one of them to come back again. Under Brian McAlinden this years Armagh U21 team displayed exactly the same self destruct capability as was the case when he was in charge of the Armagh seniors back in 2000 against Kerry. For those of you who can't remember the Armagh seniors had Kerry beat in the 2000 All-Ireland semi but lost and again in this years Ulster U21 final against Down the Armagh U21 team had Down beat but lost.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Firstly I think Peter McDonnell should be thanked by Armagh supporters for the time and effort he put into the team this past 2 years. In ways, he inhereited a thankless task, an aging team past its best with good prospects but not those of a sufficient quality to replace the players leaving, as well as a support base used to success and clambouring for a trophy that was probably beyond the reach of any manager. In the circumstances, to win an Ulster title was a remarkable achievement and probably deserved more recognition than it got. Peter won an Ulster title at probably the only time in Armagh's history that fans would be blasé about such an achievement. That said, it it must be remembered that to win the Ulster last year, we beat 3 of the 4 worst teams in Ulster. I know this sounds stupid and could be interpreted as disrespectful to Fermanagh who were in the finbal on merit but playing ability wise, I think it holds up. Basically, Peter tried, he did his best but ultimately he measured up a little short and I'm glad he spared himself and the county a long drawn out messy departure.

As for his successor, I think we should look within the county first. If a high quality outsider declares his interest, all well and good and he should be considered but if its just the usual suspect who pop at times like this, I wouldn't be too fussed.

Like the majority of Armagh supporters, Geezer and Grimley are far and away my first choice but I think Geezer will want at least another year to try to win Leinster. If Grimley was willing to come on his own, I think he'd deserve a chance.

Outside of those two, I wouldn't think Donal Murtagh would be interested. Big Joe's name will undoubtedly  be linked but I'm not sure he'll be interested. If he is, we could probably do worse. He has proven credentials at the top level which may be something lacking in the eventual contenders. McAlinden would be a bit of a step backwards. I can't dsitinguish his reign from the comments made by Aidan O'Rourke after the Galway match in 2001. Justy McNulty put his name forward for the u21 job and if he wanted the job I'd rather take a chance on him that settle for some mid ranking mercenary from another county or province.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

topgun

1st choice would have to be the current kildare management, but I think that everyone here is forgetting about  Peter Rafferty  who was the manger of the last armagh team to win an all ireland the U21s in 04 if we stay in house for a manager i think hed have to be considered if interested.
a prophet is not recognised by his own

orangeman

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 21, 2009, 11:45:04 PM
Firstly I think Peter McDonnell should be thanked by Armagh supporters for the time and effort he put into the team this past 2 years. In ways, he inhereited a thankless task, an aging team past its best with good prospects but not those of a sufficient quality to replace the players leaving, as well as a support base used to success and clambouring for a trophy that was probably beyond the reach of any manager. In the circumstances, to win an Ulster title was a remarkable achievement and probably deserved more recognition than it got. Peter won an Ulster title at probably the only time in Armagh's history that fans would be blasé about such an achievement. That said, it it must be remembered that to win the Ulster last year, we beat 3 of the 4 worst teams in Ulster. I know this sounds stupid and could be interpreted as disrespectful to Fermanagh who were in the finbal on merit but playing ability wise, I think it holds up. Basically, Peter tried, he did his best but ultimately he measured up a little short and I'm glad he spared himself and the county a long drawn out messy departure.

As for his successor, I think we should look within the county first. If a high quality outsider declares his interest, all well and good and he should be considered but if its just the usual suspect who pop at times like this, I wouldn't be too fussed.

Like the majority of Armagh supporters, Geezer and Grimley are far and away my first choice but I think Geezer will want at least another year to try to win Leinster. If Grimley was willing to come on his own, I think he'd deserve a chance.

Outside of those two, I wouldn't think Donal Murtagh would be interested. Big Joe's name will undoubtedly  be linked but I'm not sure he'll be interested. If he is, we could probably do worse. He has proven credentials at the top level which may be something lacking in the eventual contenders. McAlinden would be a bit of a step backwards. I can't dsitinguish his reign from the comments made by Aidan O'Rourke after the Galway match in 2001. Justy McNulty put his name forward for the u21 job and if he wanted the job I'd rather take a chance on him that settle for some mid ranking mercenary from another county or province.

Agree with all of that. Armagh supporters have been living through the glory days with an Ulster title expected year in year out. Joe's shoes were always going to be hard to fill.

qub la la la

Quote from: BroJolly on July 21, 2009, 11:36:40 PM
I think the CB will take their time with this and it could take to October. After all, whats the rush? Personally, I'd like to see Geezer and Big Paul back with the likes of Marsden or McGrane involved. I think Brian McAlinden will be a strong candidate. He did a good job with U21s and thats where last manager came from. Would also like to see Liam McCorry involved in coaching role, but again he works with Ulster council so not sure where that fits in.

Liam McCorry was also part of the u21 set up with armagh this year.

Zapatista

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 21, 2009, 08:20:40 PM
We need a complete fresh start, taking JK back would be a big mistake and I wouldnt be so keen on Grimley, nothing against the men themselves but we need a complete fresh start, wipe the slate clean, and build. 

I'd like to see someone from outside the county, no ties to the county, no bias, pick the best 15, including 6 forwards!

Canavan is your man ;D

full back

Cant see anyone outside the county getting the job
TBH the money isnt there & for an outside man to come in there would have to be serious potential there, which I dont think there is at the minute

Murtagh has been successful with Cross but I dont think the CB would want another Cross man at the helm so soon & I even doubt he would take it.

Mc Alinden had his chance with the County. He also had at least 1 problem with the Under 21's in the past year which may not have sat well with a few other members of the panel.

Why would Geezer or Grimley come back? They would be on a hiding to nothing within the county unless they got a Sam. They have a great platform with Kildare to build on in the next year or two so would be mad to leave that.

I would prefer to see a young man involved, someone with fresh ideas
Mc Nulty, O Rourke, Marsden, Mc Grane would be up there IMHO

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 21, 2009, 10:22:36 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 21, 2009, 10:18:03 PM
I think Marsden would be perfect for a role in the new management team.

But I believe that his job in the Ulster council rules him ( and anyone else in the Ulster council for that matter ) out.
I wasn't aware of this, does it only apply for intercounty senior? As I am near sure one of the minor selectors is with the Ulster council.

Employees for the Ulster Council can take on coaching jobs with their own club or county. Rules out Scullion, but Marsden would be ok.