Learning to drive

Started by Boycey, August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 31, 2019, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2019, 05:28:57 PM
It's harder to overtake cyclists when they're single file. It's easier to overtake cyclists when they're riding abreast. It's not the width of the group that slows you down, it's the length.

It is the fact they are blocking the road that slows you down.

No it isn't. "Blocking the road" would mean stopped. If they're moving then they're "using the road," not blocking it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: majestic on July 31, 2019, 10:42:06 PM
Not to get into the cycling debate, but do drivers feel the same about single cyclists riding to work or just out for some fitness? It concerns me when people talk about how they are a nuisance! I cycle to work by myself everyday and never cycled in a group, but yet I still feel like drivers give me very little respect eg pulling out of junctions infront of me etc! Anyone experience the same?

Only occasionally. Most drivers give plenty of room and are fairly patient about waiting for a safe place to pass. Mind you it could be because I automatically move over to block them if I think it's unsafe for them to overtake and then wave them through when it is safe. If I feel like they've been waiting a while, or if it's a lorry behind, I'll usually pull over at the first opportunity or do something to help them get away. That's on country roads though. On city streets none of this is an issue since the bike is faster and there's usually bike lanes anyway. The biggest problem there is keeping cars out of bike lanes.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2019, 11:02:42 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 31, 2019, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2019, 05:28:57 PM
It's harder to overtake cyclists when they're single file. It's easier to overtake cyclists when they're riding abreast. It's not the width of the group that slows you down, it's the length.

It is the fact they are blocking the road that slows you down.

No it isn't. "Blocking the road" would mean stopped. If they're moving then they're "using the road," not blocking it.

No end to the cyclist delusion.....Riding a breast doesnt slow down traffic  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A friend of mine been off the bike numerous times hurt himself bad enough a few times too.....Never his fault

Eamonnca1

Not my fault if drivers can't get it into their heads that a shorter group takes less time to pass than a longer group.

Milltown Row2

Country road bikers never annoy me, it is what it is and I'll generally pass them at some point and be held up by a fecking tractor further down the road!

Its the city bikers that really piss me off, there are no rules for them it seems, no lights, as they mount the pavement to suit themselves and no indication of moving lanes. Turn left or right there is no hand signal, maybe just maybe if they were pulled and given three points for careless driving that could improve the city driving for all concerened.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Its been a hot topic, quite a political one, here in NYC for a few years now, and is back in the news recently with an uptick in cyclist fatalities after a decline last year. Been a couple involving cyclists getting knocked off their bike into the path of oncoming vehicles through careless car occupants opening their doors without looking.

Then there's the city's efforts to install bike lanes as well as expanding the citibike service throughout the city. With that comes a backlash from some due to the loss of parking spaces and, in some case, lanes. The backlash, of course, tries to paint cyclists as an extremely dangerous menace, utterly ignoring the overall appalling knowledge, skill and behaviour of drivers in NYC. I'm a car driver, but my sympathies are with the effort to expand and protect cycling.

Taylor

While no lover of cyclists it seems to be many of the one in cities that really tarnish the majority.

Like MR it seriously pisses me off when they hop footpaths when there is a red light, ignore signs, one way systems etc etc.

By all means use the road but follow the feckin laws of the road if you so chose - the same as the ones in the countryside

t_mac

Quote from: Taylor on August 01, 2019, 11:27:20 AM
While no lover of cyclists it seems to be many of the one in cities that really tarnish the majority.

Like MR it seriously pisses me off when they hop footpaths when there is a red light, ignore signs, one way systems etc etc.

By all means use the road but follow the feckin laws of the road if you so chose - the same as the ones in the countryside

Came to roadworks the other day, temporary traffic lights, left side closed as well as footpath, cyclist took to other side of road and cycled down the other footpath rather than wait, it's amazing if they are in that big of a hurry to get somewhere you would think it would be quicker by car!

Hound

I'm a driver and can get uptight when bikes slow me down, but I use Dublin bikes very occasionally to get across the city, usually to a pub on a Friday evening.

When I'm walking and I'm waiting at a pedestrian crossing and there's a "red man" on the sign, I will still cross the road if it's safe to do so. I treat cycling the same way. If I'm at a red light and it's completely safe to move on, I will do so. I can't understand why anyone would get annoyed at that. It's completely different to breaking lights in a car and it's ridiculous to compare.

Similarly I often go up a small section of Nassau Street either on the footpath or the wrong way on the road (it's one way), if I can do so without impeding pedestrians or oncoming traffic. I'm not causing anyone any hassle and saving myself a big detour. No problem.

t_mac

Quote from: Hound on August 01, 2019, 02:21:14 PM
I'm a driver and can get uptight when bikes slow me down, but I use Dublin bikes very occasionally to get across the city, usually to a pub on a Friday evening.

When I'm walking and I'm waiting at a pedestrian crossing and there's a "red man" on the sign, I will still cross the road if it's safe to do so. I treat cycling the same way. If I'm at a red light and it's completely safe to move on, I will do so. I can't understand why anyone would get annoyed at that. It's completely different to breaking lights in a car and it's ridiculous to compare.

Similarly I often go up a small section of Nassau Street either on the footpath or the wrong way on the road (it's one way), if I can do so without impeding pedestrians or oncoming traffic. I'm not causing anyone any hassle and saving myself a big detour. No problem.

Maybe it is because it's the law.

Highway code.

Section 71
A red traffic light applies to all road users. Cyclists must not cross the stop line if the traffic lights are red. Use the separate stop line for cyclists when practical.

t_mac

And in the Republic.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

Like other road users, cyclists must obey the rules applying to traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, zebra crossings and cycle traffic lights. You must stop at stop signs and yield right of way at yield signs.

So yes it would annoy people that cyclists think they can flaunt the law.

laoislad

The thing with cyclists is they are never in the wrong, its always someone else's fault.
Only this morning at the roundabout at the end of my estate I narrowly missed a cyclist by a matter of millimeters. He came straight through from a road to the left without stopping and actually overtook 2 cars who had stopped to let me around the roundabout, he came out of nowhere really as I didn't see him because he must have been at the far side of one the cars as I was entering the roundabout.
I caught up with him at traffic lights (couldn't believe he actually stopped at a red light) and asked him did he ever hear of Yield right of way. Told me to f**k off and started ranting about how I should be more careful of cyclists.
f**king knob.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

t_mac

Quote from: laoislad on August 01, 2019, 02:45:00 PM
The thing with cyclists is they are never in the wrong, its always someone else's fault.
Only this morning at the roundabout at the end of my estate I narrowly missed a cyclist by a matter of millimeters. He came straight through from a road to the left without stopping and actually overtook 2 cars who had stopped to let me around the roundabout, he came out of nowhere really as I didn't see him because he must have been at the far side of one the cars as I was entering the roundabout.
I caught up with him at traffic lights (couldn't believe he actually stopped at a red light) and asked him did he ever hear of Yield right of way. Told me to f**k off and started ranting about how I should be more careful of cyclists.
f**king knob.

Nail on head, arrogance in abundance and to hell with the rules of the road.

Ethan Tremblay

Had an incident this morning with a bicyclist.  Crossing a road in Belfast City Centre, green man was on and everything, aforementioned dickhead coming flying past through a red light and nearly knocks the coffee out of my paws. 

It like the wild west with them doing what they want.  No longer do I feel safe on the streets of Belfast... 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2019, 11:34:32 PM
Not my fault if drivers can't get it into their heads that a shorter group takes less time to pass than a longer group.

Section 66
This section explains what cyclists should and should not do when riding on the road.

You should:
Keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear.
Keep both feet on the pedals.
Be considerate of other road users, taking extra care around blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Use your bell when necessary to signal you are nearby.
Ride single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

You should not:
Ride more than two abreast.

Ride close behind another vehicle.
Carry anything that will affect your balance or get tangled up in your wheels or chain.