Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 17, 2009, 01:29:15 PM
I went to a wedding there a week or so ago and gave £70 - feel a bit tight now  :( To be fair if £100 a couple is standard then it mightn't be so bad as I didn't take my "plus one". (ate the extra dinner though). £100 for one person is a bit much surely? I'm pretty broke as I'm not going to be earning between September and March so it was sorta all I could afford.
£50.00 would have been more than enough imo and I'd be embarrassed to accept 50 quid of a friend who I knew wouldnt be earning. 

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 17, 2009, 01:53:39 PM
Has anyone seen as well, the invitations where they tell you what day/date to visit their house with gifts?
Aye heard about them alright.

The last invitation I got with a wedding list, the cheapest thing on the list was over £100. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bingobus

When i got married a few years back, I got some big presents from close friends. Since then two of them have got wed with another one in 2 weeks. Wish I had just resealed the envelopes and put them to one side now  ;)

The next wedding will cost the price of a foreign holiday, its in Westport and will be a three day eventer.

RMDrive

Maybe I'm mad, but I think it's reasonable to expect someone coming to your wedding to at least cover the cost of the day you put on for them. Do you expect a wedding to be about a gift from the couple to you? If you don't want to pay your way then don't go. In the vast majority of cases the couple won't really care if you go or not. Don't kid yourself that they'll miss you.
Weddings these days are very expensive affairs (and some of the expense is crazy). I don't know what the going rate is in the North but I'd be giving a minimum of 200 for a wedding; 250 for some I know fairly well and 300 for a friend or someone in the family. I try to cover the cost and then give a gift to the couple on top of that. The more I like them, the bigger the gift. Although if someone drags me half way across Ireland for no reason (e.g. a couple from Galway getting married in Wexford) then I'll factor my expenses into that too.

I love weddings BTW. There's something uniquely Irish about the way the day goes.

Overthebar!

do you like wedding crashers by any chance rmdrive?

Armin Tamzarian

Thats it im doing a wedding list. Putting on it BMW, Plasma TV, Holiday to Italy, and all the expensive crap of the day that well people will just opt to give money instead!

SidelineKick

RMDrive, the more fool you.

Is it so you can say you gave that amount or do you really think its necessary to give such ridiculous amounts?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

gerrykeegan

My first cousin a bit of a character, has a PHD in something or other, worked with the Travelling community for a while, went and worked in the Missions in a Bolivian Jungle that sort of stuff. When he got married the invites were hand written on recycled paper. Bottom of the invite stated that they didnt want any presents or money for their wedding. However as they were having in the local GAA hall each invite requested that the person brought something to eat. Dear Gerry "could you bring some cooked sausages, Dear Mary could you bring some Red lemonade. etc etc
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: RMDrive on August 17, 2009, 02:21:54 PM
Maybe I'm mad, but I think it's reasonable to expect someone coming to your wedding to at least cover the cost of the day you put on for them. Do you expect a wedding to be about a gift from the couple to you? If you don't want to pay your way then don't go. In the vast majority of cases the couple won't really care if you go or not. Don't kid yourself that they'll miss you.
Weddings these days are very expensive affairs (and some of the expense is crazy). I don't know what the going rate is in the North but I'd be giving a minimum of 200 for a wedding; 250 for some I know fairly well and 300 for a friend or someone in the family. I try to cover the cost and then give a gift to the couple on top of that. The more I like them, the bigger the gift. Although if someone drags me half way across Ireland for no reason (e.g. a couple from Galway getting married in Wexford) then I'll factor my expenses into that too.

I love weddings BTW. There's something uniquely Irish about the way the day goes.

Hang on a minute, why should I pay for someone else's choice of food for me? Pay for someone elses choice of hotel?
You're right, most couples these days invite people they don't care if they're there or not, why? For show.  Why should I pay for that? Weddings can be expensive affairs, but only if the couple want them to be, they can also be cheap affairs and it's generally the cheaper ones that are more enjoyable.  

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 17, 2009, 02:34:19 PM
My first cousin a bit of a character, has a PHD in something or other, worked with the Travelling community for a while, went and worked in the Missions in a Bolivian Jungle that sort of stuff. When he got married the invites were hand written on recycled paper. Bottom of the invite stated that they didnt want any presents or money for their wedding. However as they were having in the local GAA hall each invite requested that the person brought something to eat. Dear Gerry "could you bring some cooked sausages, Dear Mary could you bring some Red lemonade. etc etc
:)  That's class. 

Maiden1

Quote from: RMDrive on August 17, 2009, 02:21:54 PM

I hate that, you give a minimum of 200 pound then everyone is expected to do the same.  People should pay for the cost of there meal and add a bit more (if they can afford to).  I have been to 2 weddings in the last couple of months with stag parties, 2 nights in a hotel for the wedding...  I was just thinking the other day, thank f&*k I have no more to go to this year as they have me broke.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

illdecide

I was at a wedding recently and gave the couple £50 although i only went to the evening reception if i had went to the all day event i'd have given £100...

I got married and did not make any list nor would i have had the neck to do so as you should just be happy with what you get, i can't believe i'm agreeing with Pints here but i dislike people who make lists and or ask for cash...cheeky hoors
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ONeill

Buy them a good DJ:

DJ beaten for shaking up Bedouin wedding in Israel

A DJ hired to spin tunes at a Bedouin wedding in Israel was beaten up for playing Western music which some guests felt encouraged lewdness in the women, the Maariv daily reported on Monday.

The DJ initially put on Arabic tunes for the hundreds of guests attending the event in Aroer village in Israel's Negev desert region.

At one point, he decided to stir things up and put on a song by the British electronic music duo Pet Shop Boys, causing some women to "dance exuberantly to the foreign music," angering some of the men present, the daily said.

"The fact that women were dancing at the wedding goes against tradition and is a dishonour to their husbands," it quoted one guest as saying.

Several angry young men gave the DJ a "severe beating" after he refused to go back to playing Arabic music. Police later arrested two men in connection with the incident.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rois

One of my best friends is getting married on 19 Sep.  She knows that the ultimate present I could give her would be to miss the AIF if Tyrone were in it the next day (it's a three day wedding affair).  Half of me is hoping we get beaten by Cork on Sunday so the decision is made for me. 

Can't believe I've just written that.

pintsofguinness

How's it a three day affair rois? 

Rois

Fri night function round at her parents' house, wedding on Sat and bbq in a different part of Donegal on the Sunday.

I suppose you could say that parts are optional, but it's one of my bestest. 

If she thought I was considering giving her €300 she would have a fit.  Have already been to Puerto Banus on the hen party.