Portlaoise GAA vs Laois County Board

Started by Bueller, May 18, 2016, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

I'm not suggesting that Laois County Board can just ignore the ruling or the need to tighten the loophole.
I'm merely stating that it's hard to be too critical of them in this instance. They came up with a relatively progressive bye law that protects the rights of those with an allegiance to Portlaoise to play with them, while also protecting the rural clubs in Portlaoise Parish.
This rule has more or less worked for years.
When it is challenged a BL comes to the conclusion that the rule is fine. He is over ruled by two non legal professionals.
It's luck as much as anything else here & it's not a problem that LCB could really have foreseen.

I'm not anti Portlaoise, but there certainly has to be some measure in place to at least place obstacles in the path of any player wishing to move from any rural club in Laois to Portlaoise, particularly from one in Portlaoise Parish.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Downtheroad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 16, 2016, 10:18:16 AM
I'm not suggesting that Laois County Board can just ignore the ruling or the need to tighten the loophole.
I'm merely stating that it's hard to be too critical of them in this instance. They came up with a relatively progressive bye law that protects the rights of those with an allegiance to Portlaoise to play with them, while also protecting the rural clubs in Portlaoise Parish.
This rule has more or less worked for years.
When it is challenged a BL comes to the conclusion that the rule is fine. He is over ruled by two non legal professionals.
It's luck as much as anything else here & it's not a problem that LCB could really have foreseen.

I'm not anti Portlaoise, but there certainly has to be some measure in place to at least place obstacles in the path of any player wishing to move from any rural club in Laois to Portlaoise, particularly from one in Portlaoise Parish.
Don't know about Colm O'Rourke but the other member is a legal professional as far as I recall. He is also experienced in these matters as he previously adjudicated in the "Dermot Connolly" case. If anything looking at the 2 cases he is consistent in his decision making.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 16, 2016, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 16, 2016, 12:38:15 AM
No, you read it right. The BL agreed with the Co. Board but the tribunal had to agree to the transfer because of the loophole and stated that the Co. Board should amend the transfer byelaws.

(The Tribunal further advises that the Laois County Board, through their county committee and convention and usual procedures, work to provide clarity or amend this aspect of their transfer byelaws. Pending that clarification/amendment, this DRA decision is not to be treated as a precedent and is distinguished to its facts.)
Tribunal didn't have to agree but it did on a majority of 2 to 1. If another Tribunal was set up it could have came up with a different result which shows you the Russian roulette nature of the legal process. I don't disagree with the outcome on technical grounds but Portlaoise have been somewhat disingenuous here as Portlaoise GAA club either came up or agreed with the original wording which was designed at the time to ensure that Portlaoise could avail of the parentage rule for players living outside the parish.   

Could NOT avail?

That's what I said in an earlier post. Portlaoise were involved in the rule being drawn up. They've now challenged the letter of the rule, which is contrary to the spirit of the rule. How was that ignored when this ruling was made?

It's the same as the SFC fiasco. The clubs agreed to the process of the championship, yet pushed against that when the 'wrong' clubs were in relegation.

Bueller

Portlaoise have railroaded Laois GAA and the DRA.

Someone posted up a result from an U14 League game recently between CPR and PL, the result being a big win for CPR.

Anyone want to post up the result when a few of the recent signings were back?

SCFC

Quote from: Bueller on July 20, 2016, 08:20:41 AM
Portlaoise have railroaded Laois GAA and the DRA.

Someone posted up a result from an U14 League game recently between CPR and PL, the result being a big win for CPR.

Anyone want to post up the result when a few of the recent signings were back?

What was it?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Don't know who CPR are but is this the result you were talking about?

30/05/2016
Portlaoise                       9-13
Stradbally Parish Gaels    1-4

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

merman

Clonad/Park Ratheniska 5.8 - 5.10 Portlaoise
I'm sure it left a sour taste in the mouths of a lot in Clonad or particularly Ratheniska, a former PR player was their main scorer.

At full strength they're arguably now best of the rest in Laois Hurling at U14 level this year, Abbeyleix should have 6+ to spare no matter who they face.

The question now will be how many young GAA players join Portlaoise as their 'first club' who might in previous years have gone to one of the other parish clubs. This looks like the battle line for me now; The Portlaoise nursery system has grown massively (for boys and girls to be fair) over the last year or so and I can only see that continuing.
The simple fact of the matter is that if Portlaoise have their house in order and put correct procedures in place from underage right through to senior then with the sheer number of eligible boys, there is little stopping them carving up Laois championships a la Dublin in the Leinster Football. We talk about Dublin's population advantage but one need only look at the new schools being built in Portlaoise and wonder how some small clubs will ever be able to consistently compete.

Might take a little longer in hurling but one wouldn't be surprised to see them churn out serious underage teams over the next decade or so.

SCFC

Surely players can't have transfered mid season?!

Bueller

You see this was my point. Portlaoise have started doing massive work at underage, and about time as some would say as they have simply allowed it happen previously and that worked. That's great, they should, as every other club should.

The issue is, they've decided this isn't enough, and have also begun scouting. They railroaded this transfer through, the DRA legal counsel went so far as to say he believed Laois GAA's rules were in order, the document shows that, yet the transfer was still granted on 'fair play' or such like grounds. They've kicked in the door, a precedent is set, and all bets are off.

Oh and who footed the bill for this little trip up to the capital? Laois GAA.

Thanks and good night.

OTF

Quote from: merman on July 28, 2016, 12:27:25 AM
I'm sure it left a sour taste in the mouths of a lot in Clonad or particularly Ratheniska, a former PR player was their main scorer.

At full strength they're arguably now best of the rest in Laois Hurling at U14 level this year, Abbeyleix should have 6+ to spare no matter who they face.

The question now will be how many young GAA players join Portlaoise as their 'first club' who might in previous years have gone to one of the other parish clubs. This looks like the battle line for me now; The Portlaoise nursery system has grown massively (for boys and girls to be fair) over the last year or so and I can only see that continuing.
The simple fact of the matter is that if Portlaoise have their house in order and put correct procedures in place from underage right through to senior then with the sheer number of eligible boys, there is little stopping them carving up Laois championships a la Dublin in the Leinster Football. We talk about Dublin's population advantage but one need only look at the new schools being built in Portlaoise and wonder how some small clubs will ever be able to consistently compete.

Might take a little longer in hurling but one wouldn't be surprised to see them churn out serious underage teams over the next decade or so.

How many underage teams in each grade do they have  ?

Home Boys Home

Don't know if one new player can explain the difference between League and Championship results for Portlaoise U14 hurlers. They must not have had a full squad for League. According to Laois GAA website they lost  to Clonad by 6-17 to 0-3 in the League and then beat them by two points as above a few weeks later in Championship.

Also according to the website, they lost to Clough Ballacolla by 0-13 to 0-04 in League and then beat them by 14-10 (yes 14 goals !) to 3-06 in first round of Championship. Maybe the 14 goals is a mistake on the website, but even allowing for League vs Championship, the difference in results is massive.

merman

Quote from: OTF on July 28, 2016, 09:31:17 AM
How many underage teams in each grade do they have  ?

I can't answer that OTF. I think they have A and B in all grades but I'm not sure.

My point is different anyway; I anticipate that when say their current U6s come through in 8 years time; they will be picking from a pool far far larger than what they currently do at U14 level.

I might add that I don't actually begrudge Portlaoise any success, particularly in hurling where I feel they are massively underachieving. They have contributed fine people to Laois GAA and a stronger juvenile set-up in Portlaoise will evenutually, I hope, feed into stronger county teams.

I'd have concerns if the Urban/Rural Transfer Ruling was obliterated but that's it.
I also believe that Laois GAA will close any loop hole between now and Convention.

Quote from: Home Boys Home on July 28, 2016, 11:33:53 AM

Don't know if one new player can explain the difference between League and Championship results for Portlaoise U14 hurlers. They must not have had a full squad for League. According to Laois GAA website they lost  to Clonad by 6-17 to 0-3 in the League and then beat them by two points as above a few weeks later in Championship.

Also according to the website, they lost to Clough Ballacolla by 0-13 to 0-04 in League and then beat them by 14-10 (yes 14 goals !) to 3-06 in first round of Championship. Maybe the 14 goals is a mistake on the website, but even allowing for League vs Championship, the difference in results is massive.

I agree. There's obviously more to this than one player but the particularly strong player who has transferred from Ratheniska was injured through the spring and into the early summer.

Bueller

Nice big win tonight for the town, beating Ballyroan/Abbey 8-12 to 4-6. The DRA case already paying dividends.

Oh as the town, goes marching in...

Dave like the tv channel

Ballyroan not the team to beat at U16.

SCFC

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on August 31, 2016, 11:02:01 AM
Ballyroan not the team to beat at U16.

True. St Paul's or Port will be the other finalists and Portlaoise won't win that by much if at all.