Portlaoise GAA vs Laois County Board

Started by Bueller, May 18, 2016, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave like the tv channel

If Portlaoise is to be divided, there needs to be a line drawn and the new club would have to be able to draw from it's distinct pool. Existing adult players would will wash through in 10 years. Then this new club would put it's mark on the town.

Kilminchy didn't work because it wasn't supported enough, I reckon.

Portlaoise have gone out to the country and a new club in the town could reap some rewards now. The thing is, would Portlaoise set up a training ground near the new club like they did at St Fintan's around the time of Kilminchy?

All this change though, with this County Board? I don't think so. Too much paperwork.

Downtheroad

How to manage the development of football/Hurling in Portlaoise is at this stage an almost intractable challenge. The Kilminchy experiment a few years back was a miserable failure and there is no reason why another start up club will succeed. I imagine one of the main reasons why Kilminchy failed was lack of help on the ground something that is in the case with the majority of clubs I know. If Portlaoise GAA did not split over the move to Rathleague  then it will never split and the prospect of a new club that could challenge the town is a pipedream. To counterbalance Portlaoise, the Co Board needs to stand full square behind The Heath, Ratheniska and Clonad in order to protect them from losing players. If Portlaoise win DRA case, it's likely to be game over for the other clubs in the catchment area. At the beginning of this year, Clonad had a very promising u12 team which has been decimated due to transfers to the town and i'm reliably informed are now the best players on Portlaoise team. This is an example of the so called "Parentage rule" favouring the stronger clubs rather than weaker clubs which many people had originally envisaged.

Dave like the tv channel

This is Portlaoise spotting that they have a problem, now, at underage. The simple fact is that they're not winning - AT ANY AGE - and what's going to feed to their adult teams are young lads who are used to losing.

For Portlaoise to go to the DRA is unreal for a club with access to 25% of the county's population, but there you are. Don't let fair-play stand in the way of success. They've spotted a gap and they're plugging it. If the CB was as proactive, county would be a whole lot better off.

I hope the DRA find against them - for the greater good.

Bueller

I'm glad the last two posts were made, I was despairing at the lads on here. Divide Portlaoise? Portlaoise are trying to recruit readymade talent, like f**k they'll allow themselves be split. A Portlaoise man has even removed himself from a committee on the County Board to devote his time to tbis DRA appeal. They're playing hardball now lads, the gloves are off.

Keyser Söze

Did Clonad/Park Ratheniska withdraw from U16 hurling in 2015 and allow their players seek permission to play with Portlaoise as isolated players?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Downtheroad

Clonad had a handful of players and looked to join up with neighbouring clubs who turned them down. In the end, Portlaoise took them in. Technically, it could be argued that they were issues with the constitution of the Portlaoise u16 hurling team in 2015 but no one challenged it.

merman

Quote from: Downtheroad on May 22, 2016, 10:56:18 PM
Clonad had a handful of players and looked to join up with neighbouring clubs who turned them down. In the end, Portlaoise took them in. Technically, it could be argued that they were issues with the constitution of the Portlaoise u16 hurling team in 2015 but no one challenged it.

I'm not sure that's fair on Portlaoise.
Clonad hadn't enough players to field an U16 team on their own. They had a handful of players who wanted to hurl at U16 level and they were entitled to seek transfers as Isolated Players.
In the end only 2 actually made the Portlaoise U16 team. I don't believe there was any issue with the constitution of said team.

Keyser Söze

My point wasn't questioning the constitution of the team.
Rather, I was wondering was this a bit of opening that some stronger players would jump on?

Didn't Park Ratheniska have an U16 football team last year?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Helix

Quote from: Keyser Söze on May 22, 2016, 11:44:44 PM
My point wasn't questioning the constitution of the team.
Rather, I was wondering was this a bit of opening that some stronger players would jump on?

No the players want to play for their respective club (or clubs as many play with both Clonad and Heath) using Portlaoise to play competition where no other viable solution was available. The grass isn't always greener on the other side!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

SCFC

I had heard about Clonad losing those two under 12 hurlers. I think that's most unfair. I've great admiration for Portlaoise and how they go about their business. Always play a good brand of football and hurling.
I think there is actually an onus on the County Board to put the structures in place for a second club in the town. Not a half arsed effort like Kilminchy was. It was done in Ennis to great effect (Banner Óg or some name like that).
Too many young lads falling by the wayside in Portlaoise that other clubs would kill to have. Dont get me started listing names of county minors and under 21's who don't play at all now. Now this is not Portlaoise bashing. I understand they can't cater for them all or indeed compel them to stay playing. And a second club in the town won't solve everything either.
But it needs to be tried. Urgently.

Dave like the tv channel

This is not about Portlaoise bashing. When they were on 4/5 in a row, people were saying that it was up to the rest of the county to catch up with them. Now that that's happening, Portlaoise are crying the poor mouth and going about this in a ugly way?

Competitive club scene? Screw that! We want 20-in-a-row!!!!

Going to DRA costs money, does it not? It's good to see that Portlaoise rid themselves of (most of) their onerous debt so they could plough their funds into legal costs to allow them to pillage other clubs. There is a difference between legally correct and justice. Let's hope the two align in this case.

Helix

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on May 24, 2016, 09:29:09 AM

Going to DRA costs money, does it not? It's good to see that Portlaoise rid themselves of (most of) their onerous debt so they could plough their funds into legal costs to allow them to pillage other clubs. There is a difference between legally correct and justice. Let's hope the two align in this case.

€1500 to go to DRA for hearing.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Bueller

June 1st. The date when the GAA will be forced to decide if a club with one of the largest picks in the country should be allowed hand pick talent from the rest of the clubs in the parish, and most likely further afield.

Pack up the tents if this is allowed.

Dave like the tv channel

What's the basis of their argument? Anyone know?

How likely are they to win?

Helix

The person in question seeking to transfer from Park Ratheniska to Portlaoise. The person in question already has a sibling in the Portlaoise club. Person looking for transfer hasn't  played with club they're transferring from for over a year to my knowledge. Went to school in area when younger. I hope that's all correct. Don't want to name names on this thread.
Unfortunate situation for the person