Started by BennyHarp, August 16, 2018, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Tyrone Fan so in terms of the worst feeling

1997 v Derry
96 v Meath
2002 v Sligo

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

weareros

1991 All-Ireland semi final loss to Meath felt the worst, even though was at All-Ireland loss to Kerry in 1980, just felt after that one we would be back. Very wrong on that one.

seafoid

Quote from: laoislad on August 16, 2018, 05:18:35 PM
2005 Leinster Football Final v Dublin. Have never been as gutted leaving Croke Park.

Also 1981, Laois V Offaly.I don't remember it but my aul fella still talks about  Padraig Horans "goal" v Laois that actually went through the side netting. My uncle was Laois goalkeeper that day so it was never really forgotten in our house!
https://amp.independent.ie/sport/hurling/horan-recalls-how-twist-of-fate-lifted-offaly-26447887.html
t
What about 1986? Laois v Wicklow. The league champions dumped out of the championship in Aughrim

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/aughrim-id-prefer-to-forget-about-that-ambush-mick-dempsey-30272316.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

'85 v Derry
'86 v Kerry
'88 v Monaghan

hit me hard.

Followed by

'95 v Dubs
'02 v Sligo
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoislad

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 05:58:50 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 16, 2018, 05:18:35 PM
2005 Leinster Football Final v Dublin. Have never been as gutted leaving Croke Park.

Also 1981, Laois V Offaly.I don't remember it but my aul fella still talks about  Padraig Horans "goal" v Laois that actually went through the side netting. My uncle was Laois goalkeeper that day so it was never really forgotten in our house!
https://amp.independent.ie/sport/hurling/horan-recalls-how-twist-of-fate-lifted-offaly-26447887.html
t
What about 1986? Laois v Wicklow. The league champions dumped out of the championship in Aughrim

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/aughrim-id-prefer-to-forget-about-that-ambush-mick-dempsey-30272316.html
Why don't you just pick your own Galway one and not worry about Laois. I'm sure you have plenty to pick from with Galway.....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyHarp

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 16, 2018, 05:39:40 PM
Sligo 2002 is a good shout. I remember leaving croke Park think we were never gonna win an all Ireland.

+1 I think I'd wiped that from my memory. It felt like we were as far away from an All Ireland as ever that evening.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

Galway hurlers

1989 loss to Tipperary was sickening because of the ref, Mr Denton, and because Keady was suspended and because Antrim were in the final so it was a guaranteed all Ireland but Tipp's need was obviously greater...
91 v Tipp because it was the end of a great team
2013 losing to Clare after having been in the final the year before. And then the hoors went on to win the All Ireland. That was a real sickener

Footballers would include 1983 in a very bad final vs the Dubs who had 2 less players
2007 and 2011 getting dumped out of the championship by Meath. FFS
And 2012 when we were beaten by Antrim.  Hardstation was ecstatic . Every cloud has a silver lining.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mrdeeds

From a Cavan perspective the 1997 All Ireland semi when we missed a simple goal chance in second half.

2004 versus Armagh in Ulster semi when we had Pierce McKenna sent of after 30 seconds for an air punch on Francie. Ger Pierson nearly chipped Hearty to win it.

The last three defeats to Monaghan in Ulster. The first by a point when we should have had a free in at end, then another by a point with Monaghan's bench being the difference plus an incorrect black card for Martin Reilly and last year by a goal with us hitting the post at end.

RedHand88

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 16, 2018, 05:39:40 PM
Sligo 2002 is a good shout. I remember leaving croke Park think we were never gonna win an all Ireland.

Forgot about this one actually. I'd rank it up there with the worst

ONeill

Also a bad defeat when 6 or so clear v Down in either 99 or 00 in Casement.

imtommygunn

It's hard to pick one as an antrim fan!

The wexford quarter final was hard to stomach in early 2000s. The ref completely shafted us in the last ten minutes. Possibly kilkenny 91.

Recently there have just been too many you couldn't pick one.

Plain of the Herbs

Losing the All-Ireland to Klare.

Great teams win two in a row, and Offaly fell short.  Seven Sundays after giving their greatest hurling performance when beating Kilkenny.  Never saw that defeat coming, complacency a major factor - not just within the team but throughout the county as a whole.  Scored 2-8 and hit just 6 wides, can't complain with that, but made heroes out of an opposition with just one forward (and he hurling midfield for much of it).

We will never hear the end of it.  Klare got a quarter-hour on 'The Game' last Monday night. And Éamonn Cregan (who contributed enormously to the 1994 win) never got to properly enjoy coaching an All-Ireland winning team.

ONeill

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2018, 06:55:04 PM
It's hard to pick one as an antrim fan!

The wexford quarter final was hard to stomach in early 2000s. The ref completely shafted us in the last ten minutes. Possibly kilkenny 91.

Recently there have just been too many you couldn't pick one.

Wasn't there one against Kerry around 09/10?

Erne Man

1997 1st round game v Cavan. The drawn game we should have won, before Jim Currans 7mins of injury time! In hindsight maybe our best chance to win Ulster, when everyone else took a year off.
That was even worse than Athletic Grounds 1993, when realistically we wouldn't have gone any further anyway.