Author Topic: Tom Humphries  (Read 26318 times)

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
Re: Tom Humphries
« Reply #285 on: November 18, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
In NI the problem is that if a person who is vetted by Access NI they have a certificate to show that they can work for a particular organisation with young people and vulnerable adults it is a once off check with no annual re-certification required.  In my last job, I held an Access NI certificate from they were first introduced until I left, period of around 20 years.  At no point was I required to be re-checked, this is general practice.  So, in NI, an organisation can only be sure that a person has been recently vetted when they first join.  An on-going checking system was planned to introduced to it became too complicated and was abandoned.

Not quite true, I recently had to have vetting renewed through the club. Saying that I also have Access NI clearance through work which I completed perhaps about 10 years ago.

Correct, according to protocol, you must have a separate vetting by Access NI for every organisation that you are involved with that works with children and vulnerable adults.  However, I completed a CRB check for Dept of Education in 1990 when it was introduced in N.Ireland and I was never asked to renew the vetting until I left in 2016.  This is the norm for each organisation and a major weakness of the system.  An Access NI certificate will only be revoked if a person is convicted of a relevant offence.  Soft intelligence which would affect an Access NI vetting being approved will not cause one to to be revoked.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
Ciarrai, when you say you've never been asked for evidence, what do you mean? In our club, our childrens officer coordinates the vetting, and renewals.

I mean that I've been asked to fill and send off the vetting form 10 times maybe in last few years but there's been zero follow up..by the club, schools or underage county squads!

As to Avondhu Star's post - I'd have to agree the vetting as it currently stands doesn't say much - which is why I was alluding to a possible overhaul of the system. You don't want to get paranoid or too PC about these things but we genuinely are too casual about people involved with kids at times in this country..

That's not been my experience. In fact this year we had to tell a coach he couldn't help out with us because he never got the vetting done. Our childrens officer would have your heart broken chasing up on stuff like that.

I have never been asked for it in a county squad right enough.

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
Ciarrai, when you say you've never been asked for evidence, what do you mean? In our club, our childrens officer coordinates the vetting, and renewals.

I mean that I've been asked to fill and send off the vetting form 10 times maybe in last few years but there's been zero follow up..by the club, schools or underage county squads!

As to Avondhu Star's post - I'd have to agree the vetting as it currently stands doesn't say much - which is why I was alluding to a possible overhaul of the system. You don't want to get paranoid or too PC about these things but we genuinely are too casual about people involved with kids at times in this country..

That's not been my experience. In fact this year we had to tell a coach he couldn't help out with us because he never got the vetting done. Our childrens officer would have your heart broken chasing up on stuff like that.

That is down to having a concientious Child Protection Officer How many clubs will do that?
If County Boards refused to allow a club play matches until the Club could certify that all managers,coaches etc were vetted you might see some improvement.

Of course Child Protection should go beyond the sexual abuse issue. How many coaches etc exceed the speed limit when driving kids to games, carry more kids than they have seatbelts for etc. Admittedly this often happens because some parents use clubs as babysitting service
We have declared for an Irish Republic. We will live under no other law

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »

That is down to having a concientious Child Protection Officer How many clubs will do that?
If County Boards refused to allow a club play matches until the Club could certify that all managers,coaches etc were vetted you might see some improvement.

Of course Child Protection should go beyond the sexual abuse issue. How many coaches etc exceed the speed limit when driving kids to games, carry more kids than they have seatbelts for etc. Admittedly this often happens because some parents use clubs as babysitting service

The whole package of care is now referred to as Safeguarding instead of child protection.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
Eminem and DR Dre in the second part of the song

https://youtu.be/Xbw_BxDwdjk
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"